Shotgun Powerset or Pool

Narfu12

Back in 2019 I had posted something like this and while yes I may be beating a dead horse. Its still something I want to see as really it could be an interesting idea that could work. Here's what I have and some of it is from my old post. 

Slug: You fire a slug round into your enemy from your shotgun. While it only targets on enemy it has a chance to knock them back. Damage: Moderate, Recharge: Fast
Pummel: You pummel your foe with the stock of your shotgun. It deals little damage but it has a chance to disorient them for a time being. Damage: Low, Recharge: Fast
Buckshot: Simple enough you fire a buckshot round from the shotgun. Its a cone AoE going outward from you to anyone further out. This has a chance to knock any enemies back. Damage: Moderate, Recharge: Slow
Flechette rounds: You load in a flechette round and fire it from your shotgun. It has more range compared to the buckshot and has a chance to inflict a (DoT) on anyone affected. Damage: High, Recharge: Very Slow
Speed Loading: You have become accustomed to using the shotgun via the amount of time you've used it. You now can reload faster than ever. (Passive) +Recharge
HE Round: You load in a high explosive round into the shotgun. While it can go further than a slug it also deals splash damage (AoE). Damage: High, Recharge: Slow
Slam Fire: You take aim and fire at any enemies you can. This is an AOE that can go off with a misclick at any time. Damage: Very High, Recharge: Extreme

Feel free to rework or add to this if you wish. Its just what I had and I wanted to repost. 

Edited by Narfu12
A quick adjustment and to clarify what I mean by 'add to this if you wish'. What I mean is if you have your own opinion or idea that could go into this I would like to hear it.
  • Thanks 1

This feels weird, but I don't necessarily dislike it? Technically Fighting exists but doesn't invalidate Martial Arts or Street Justice or Super Strength, so having a minor 'I GOT A GUN' power pool shouldn't shatter the fabric of reality or anything.

What I'd do is look at the pre-existing Force of Will pool for a starting place: Swap out [Project Will] for [Slug], [Wall of Force] for [Buckshot], and [Weaken Resolve] for a [Pummel] (from the Soldiers of Arachnos Set) variant. To replace Unleash Potential, I'd look at Medicine's [Field Medic] power, and start thinking of a variant: Something that gives a minor boost to Slug and Buckshot just for owning it, and can be clicked for something (A recharge boost for the two gun powers, so you can go on a brief shooting rampage?)

Not sure what the last power would be, though. Nothing seems quite fitting.

Alternatively, putting Burst and Heavy Burst instead of Slug and Buckshot gives you a rapid-firing weapon instead of a shotgun.

A major problem that comes to mind is this gives you just one more way to bump your head up against the maximum number of weapon props a character can have, which Is (I think) 3, getting more bugs the game and makes one of your weapons disappear.

Tanking is only half the battle. The other half...

33 minutes ago, Crasical said:

This feels weird, but I don't necessarily dislike it? Technically Fighting exists but doesn't invalidate Martial Arts or Street Justice or Super Strength, so having a minor 'I GOT A GUN' power pool shouldn't shatter the fabric of reality or anything.

What I'd do is look at the pre-existing Force of Will pool for a starting place: Swap out [Project Will] for [Slug], [Wall of Force] for [Buckshot], and [Weaken Resolve] for a [Pummel] (from the Soldiers of Arachnos Set) variant. To replace Unleash Potential, I'd look at Medicine's [Field Medic] power, and start thinking of a variant: Something that gives a minor boost to Slug and Buckshot just for owning it, and can be clicked for something (A recharge boost for the two gun powers, so you can go on a brief shooting rampage?)

Not sure what the last power would be, though. Nothing seems quite fitting.

Alternatively, putting Burst and Heavy Burst instead of Slug and Buckshot gives you a rapid-firing weapon instead of a shotgun.

A major problem that comes to mind is this gives you just one more way to bump your head up against the maximum number of weapon props a character can have, which Is (I think) 3, getting more bugs the game and makes one of your weapons disappear.

I'll take this into mind but you have a point. This was a prototype idea and still is really but it had faded out of existence back in 2019 until I saw the thing of people bringing up these ideas like single pistols and such again so I figured to try again. I also had the idea for a sorta swap ammo kind of thing with cryo, fire, and flechette. But I had decided against putting that here as it would had just basically been a reskin of dual pistols. 

Edited by Narfu12

Bah! I've actually been working out my own ideas for a Shotgun blast (or 'melee' set if we want to take Thunderspy's approach), just been too lazy to make my own posts. Some of my own ideas for powers included:

• Sabot Round: Single Target, lethal damage with -res
  • Full Choke: Either a tier 1 or 2 ST damage attack or a replacement for buildup where all the cones become Single Targets and gain a boost in damage. range, and accuracy, but slower recharge and cost more End
  • Rock Salt: low damage either cone or ST, deals a pulsing Mag 2 hold that causes enemies to use the ghoul tantrum animation (symbolizing the horrid pain of rocksalt in their bodies), toxic damage over time, deals bonus special damage to undead. (we have powers that deal bonus damage robots. so why not?)
  • Dragon's Breath: Moderate fire damage cone with DoT. Special gimmick could be that the DoT comes from a 'grant power' on enemies which basically gives them a small chance to spread the DoT to eachother in a chain effect. (this might be really complex coding wise)
  • Breaching Action: Either a tier 9 or a replacement for the Snipe, it's a long cast with interruptible component meant to be used at the start of a fight. You teleport to your target and in a PBAoE around you start blasting everything, your sudden appearance and attack also inflicts low magnitude/short duration fear and confusion as enemies try to muster themselves.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sakura Tenshi said:

Bah! I've actually been working out my own ideas for a Shotgun blast (or 'melee' set if we want to take Thunderspy's approach), just been too lazy to make my own posts. Some of my own ideas for powers included:

• Sabot Round: Single Target, lethal damage with -res
  • Full Choke: Either a tier 1 or 2 ST damage attack or a replacement for buildup where all the cones become Single Targets and gain a boost in damage. range, and accuracy, but slower recharge and cost more End
  • Rock Salt: low damage either cone or ST, deals a pulsing Mag 2 hold that causes enemies to use the ghoul tantrum animation (symbolizing the horrid pain of rocksalt in their bodies), toxic damage over time, deals bonus special damage to undead. (we have powers that deal bonus damage robots. so why not?)
  • Dragon's Breath: Moderate fire damage cone with DoT. Special gimmick could be that the DoT comes from a 'grant power' on enemies which basically gives them a small chance to spread the DoT to eachother in a chain effect. (this might be really complex coding wise)
  • Breaching Action: Either a tier 9 or a replacement for the Snipe, it's a long cast with interruptible component meant to be used at the start of a fight. You teleport to your target and in a PBAoE around you start blasting everything, your sudden appearance and attack also inflicts low magnitude/short duration fear and confusion as enemies try to muster themselves.

Those are actually some good ideas I will admit. Those are some good ideas.