Ratchety graphics on new system

Shenanigunner

3 hours ago, RogerWilco said:

I am trying to build a X5900 system for similar reasons, but I've had no luck getting a 3080 in December last year, when I first ordered the system, and now the prices have gone completely crazy. I still have an ASUS RTX3080 TUF on order since December 5, and the MSI RTX3080 Gaming X Trio I also ordered was cancelled and refunded, apparently because MSI stopped making them.

I am in no mood to pay €2000 or more for a card that should be €750.

In the mean time I am stuck on my Mac Pro 2010, which can run CoH at 4K thanks to a MacVidCards GTX980.

Yeah...Basically, due to silicon shortage, missteps during early COVID planning and the insane, unstoppable, Galactus-like maw of cryptominers, high end video cards are nigh-unattainable (unless buying pre-built) and even 1-4 generation old cards are going for INSANE amounts of money due to scalping.

Basically you have to scour the monitors on YT, take what you can get, find a deal like I did for my CPU (had to buy a bundle with a monitor) or get in on the BestBuy shuffle.

Otherwise, make do with what you've got.

My new box is getting my RTX2060 recycled into it.
And it's having to stay air-cooled because Zotac fscks around with their motherboard layouts, so nobody supports waterblocks on their cards.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!