First try at Nrg/Da/Elec Sentinel looking for some feedback to help improve this build

Washuchan

This is my try first at a Nrg/Da/Elc Sentinel. I was looking to get some feedback on this build to see what I can improve on. I did take fly in this build for a theme for this character. I did put 3 kb protection ios in this seeing that Da has no KB protection. I did try for a blend of a def/res with  dps and yes I know the slotting is somewhat oddball right now. I will be going back to fix it and make my slotting better for this build. On paper this build seems decent, but just looking for that extra feedback to help it make it better.

Sentinel - Energy Blast - Dark Armor1.mxd

If building for defense is your goal, then you're off to a reasonable good start.  Here are some things to consider for what I would consider improvement. 

1) Dump Power Blast. 

2) Use the slotting of Power Blast into Power Burst if you like. 

3) Get Power Push earlier, like when it unlocks at level 12, and use that Apocalypse set.  This is your bread & butter damage attack. 

4) Maybe replace Combat Jumping with Hover unless you just really like Combat Jumping.  You don't need the immobilize resistance, but it doesn't hurt. 

5) Non-tanks generally do not need 12 KB resistance.  4 is decent enough and Hover would also help mitigate that too (if you wanted). 

6) That Nova slotting... Think carefully if you want that KB proc in a KB power.  Maybe you do, but get ready to watch stuff go sailing out of range. (wheeeeeee!!!!) 

7) If you use generic IOs, then seriously consider some boosters.  Hasten with 2 level 50 IOs boosted to +4 each knocks another 5 seconds off the downtime.  Up to you if that expense is worth it. 

8 ) Consider boosting the Aim recharge to +5, when you can afford it, and using the Gaussian Build-Up proc as the second slot.  So what if you wait 2 more seconds to line it up with Nova.  It will boom so much bigger.  

9) In Cloak of Darkness consider just going 5 slot Luck of Gambler for slightly better S/L resistance.  

10) In Weave, move the resist global to Hover and put a LotG there. 

11) If you have an open power pick up Maneuvers which will get you closer to 45% melee defense and can hold another LotG.  

12) Maybe go with Obliteration in Lightning Field to get you to 145% recharge bonus with Hasten up.  Why is this power even here with all the knockback?  Just curious.

You'll lose about 6% fire/cold resistance which really don't need that much of.   You'll lose around 2% energy resistance which you weren't great at in the first place.  Probably lost some toxic resistance but I never track it as that whole category is just BS.  Dark Armor on Sentinels is not the universal tank that it is on melee, especially Tankers.  This is a set that is a little bit weaker than the melee version as Obscure Sustenance just isn't a strong replacement to Dark Regeneration.  Dark Regen is the key that lets Stalkers/Scrappers survive way longer than they should.  I guess Cloak of Fear helps too.  Sentinels can get really high regeneration rates which is still nice with high defenses.  Anyway, what I am getting at is chasing a lot of resistance on Sentinel DA is barking up the wrong tree.  The IO sets available to the AT just don't offer enough coverage to make it as powerful as the melee version.  Its unfortunate, but it is true.  All that said, I run Water/Dark that maintains about 32% to the 3 positions and less resistance than you have.  That character does just fine.  It isn't as tough as some of my other Sentinels, but it was never going to be due to limits in the AT.  I also opted to proc out some attacks so I gave up defense for more offense.  

Moral of that story is if you're comfortable not playing at maximum difficulty, then you can ease off the mitigation stacking to diversify the build a bit.  It can work. 

Edited by oldskool

Oldskool has been pretty comprehensive there, as usual. 

Of I may ask the OP, though: What type of gameplay are you building for? A lot of people ask for feedback and advice on builds without actually stating what they hope to get from it. 

Will you be mostly teaming? Does it need to be exemp-friendly or are we talking just an end-game build? If soloing, are you looking for a +4/x8 build, or something a bit less extreme? 

Hey thanks for the super feed back oldskool. I will get to work on the new build Friday night. I was going for a well rounded build, if it was possible guess not. I took lightning field just for a extra dps if they got close, but yea I don't need it.  I never been a fan of the hover blast thing so I will not go down that road on that , but I will drop Combat jump and pick up Manvs to see to how that goes I always go for CJ for the mule part of it plus the extra immob is nice. I will take power push and put the purple set in it and I will try to put in most of the tips you give in the next build.

Thanks again for the feed back oldskool.

I was going to use this toon for fun some tfs and maybe a little farming nothing to hard..

5 hours ago, Washuchan said:

Hey thanks for the super feed back oldskool. I will get to work on the new build Friday night. I was going for a well rounded build, if it was possible guess not. I took lightning field just for a extra dps if they got close, but yea I don't need it.  I never been a fan of the hover blast thing so I will not go down that road on that , but I will drop Combat jump and pick up Manvs to see to how that goes I always go for CJ for the mule part of it plus the extra immob is nice. I will take power push and put the purple set in it and I will try to put in most of the tips you give in the next build.

Thanks again for the feed back oldskool.

I was going to use this toon for fun some tfs and maybe a little farming nothing to hard..

be wary of dropping CJ if you are going to be not picking up hover. CJ is strong for its combat movement more than anything else! You will be hard pressed to jump out of combat to a safe range without CJ.

@Black Assassin - Torchbearer