How Do You Make Gaming Videos?

Apparition

I wasn’t sure where to put this, but Off-Topic seems like a good bet.

Now that videos and streaming are once again allowed for Homecoming… how do you make a video in the first place?  I would like to record (not stream, just record), a couple of tutorial videos and videos for bug reports and such.  FWIW, I am currently running Windows 10 Pro.

What software would you recommend?

45 minutes ago, Apparition said:

I wasn’t sure where to put this, but Off-Topic seems like a good bet.

Now that videos and streaming are once again allowed for Homecoming… how do you make a video in the first place?  I would like to record (not stream, just record), a couple of tutorial videos and videos for bug reports and such.  FWIW, I am currently running Windows 10 Pro.

What software would you recommend?

Great question! From someone with similar use cases...

I normally use [GEFORCE Experience] the baked in nVidia recording software that came with my GPU. It records the game when I press a hotkey and then stop the recording with another hotkey. Then it encodes it and saves it to wherever I want it for later. 

As for video editing, uh... well I just use [Video Editor] the generic Windows 10 Pro video editing program. Nothing flashy because I don't make anything longer than a few seconds (bugs, geometry error locations, power issues, etc.)

After that, it is just a matter of hosting the video. You can do this easily with something like a YouTube account.

Edited by Glacier Peak
program names

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

• 3 weeks later

I have plans to remake my personal Fire controller guide some time and will update the videos from the 720x480 or whatever ridiculously low resolution I had to use 15 years ago to something modern like 1920x1080. To do that, I've setup OBS (https://obsproject.com/) and confirmed it works. Just need time to re-record all the animations and game activity I want to show and then edit most of them down to a few seconds each (possibly using the free version of DaVinci Resolve). As noted above, GeForce Experience has built in recording software as well, but I can't comment on its quality nor ease-of-use since I've never tested it.