Pimp my Rad/Sonic/Psi

brasilgringo

Hi Defender gurus - 

I got around to trying out the reported old school power of Rad/Sonic, following this build below (I think from @Onlyasandwich, apologies if I'm wrong).  It's pretty complete and seems to soft-cap Ranged def on its own while soft-capping melee pretty easily on a team with some def buffs. It also fits in all the rad powers and some procs.  And has perma-AM.  In short, it seems pretty darn good.  

The trade-off is no travel power, though that's less of an issue these days with stacking Ninja Run / Spring and Jet Packs / Void Skiff etc, though @Ukasemade a somewhat valid point about no-travel-power peeps slowing down speedrun times. 

Anyway, wanted to pop in here to see if anyone had ideas or tweaks to either fit in a travel power or optimize this.  

2 specific questions:

1) I read that the -res from Sonic attacks stacks with successive attacks?  Is that true -- like Shriek / Howl / Shout will stack the -res from 3 attacks?

2) Howl really seems to suck and I think is here only as a set mule and to give a way to apply -Res to multiple targets.  

Grateful for inputs.  End use seems to be an issue w/o end-recovery on teams.  I suppose I could buy recovery serums.

Thx!

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Doctor Debuffer: Level 50 Natural Defender
Primary Power Set: Radiation Emission
Secondary Power Set: Sonic Attack
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Psychic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Radiant Aura -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-Heal(3), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(3), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(5), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(5), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 1: Shriek -- SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(A), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), GldJvl-Dam%(15)
Level 2: Accelerate Metabolism -- PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(A), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(19), EffAdp-EndMod/Rchg(21)
Level 4: Radiation Infection -- HO:Enzym(A)
Level 6: Howl -- SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg(9), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%(13), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15)
Level 8: Enervating Field -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 10: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Krm-ResKB(13)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(17)
Level 14: Lingering Radiation -- Acc-I(A)
Level 16: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 18: Choking Cloud -- Lck-%Hold(A), Lck-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(29), Lck-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(33), Lck-Acc/Hold(33), Lck-Acc/Rchg(33), Lck-Rchg/Hold(34)
Level 20: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(31)
Level 22: Kick -- ExpStr-Dmg/KB(A), ExpStr-Acc/KB(23), ExpStr-Dam%(23)
Level 24: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(25), UnbGrd-ResDam(25), UnbGrd-Max HP%(29), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 26: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(27), ShlWal-Def(27), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(31)
Level 28: Amplify -- GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(36), GssSynFr--Build%(37), GssSynFr--ToHit(37), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(37), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(39)
Level 30: Shout -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(A), SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(36), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Apc-Dam%(40), GldJvl-Dam%(40)
Level 32: EM Pulse -- BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(A), BslGaz-Acc/Hold(34), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(34), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(36)
Level 35: Dominate -- HO:Nucle(A), GldJvl-Dam%(40), GldNet-Dam%(42), UnbCns-Dam%(45), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(45), NrnSht-Dam%(45)
Level 38: Dreadful Wail -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), Arm-Dam%(43)
Level 41: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 44: Mind Over Body -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(46), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(46), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(46), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 47: World of Confusion -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(48), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(48), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(48), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(50), CrcPrs-Conf%(50)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Vigilance 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(17), Prv-Absorb%(21)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(19)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 50: Degenerative Core Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Clarion Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Banished Pantheon Radial Superior Ally 
Level 50: Pyronic Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment 
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
------------

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brasilgringo said:

1) I read that the -res from Sonic attacks stacks with successive attacks?  Is that true -- like Shriek / Howl / Shout will stack the -res from 3 attacks?

2) Howl really seems to suck and I think is here only as a set mule and to give a way to apply -Res to multiple targets. 

I'm glad you are enjoying the build!

With AM running perma, I don't find it too much of an end sucker, but I can see where you might go dry with all toggles running and full spam in a longer fight. Don't be afraid to be more selective about what toggles you run depending on the situation. You're probably going to need them all solo, but can cut down fighting pool toggles pretty often on a team if you have other safety nets. World of Confusion especially is really only there for set bonuses - in practice it is just a silly toy.

If I were to identify a power to drop for travel, it would be either RI Or maybe even EM pulse. You could take the EM pulse slots and slot some Zephyr to make up the ranged defense bonus, and put the other slots elsewhere as you please. Ultimately, I don't mind going without travel these days, though still take them on characters that demand it for theme, or where muling travel powers is especially helpful.

To answer your questions:

1 - The -res from all sonic attacks stack, even with themselves. You can Shriek >Shriek>Shriek and even each successive Shriek will stack with the last.

2 - Howl is a little disappointing as an attack, it's true. If you compare it to other aoe -resist powers though, it's much more favorable. Think of it as an aoe -resist that happens to do some damage. It isn't ignorable damage, but you won't be melting crowds with it alone. It sets up your nuke for even more power, and helps the team chew through spawns more quickly.

Edited by Onlyasandwich

13 minutes ago, Onlyasandwich said:

I'm glad you are enjoying the build!

With AM running perma, I don't find it too much of an end sucker, but I can see where you might go dry with all toggles running and full spam in a longer fight. Don't be afraid to be more selective about what toggles you run depending on the situation. You're probably going to need them all solo, but can cut down fighting pool toggles pretty often on a team if you have other safety nets. World of Confusion especially is really only there for set bonuses - in practice it is just a silly toy.

If I were to identify a power to drop for travel, it would be either RI Or maybe even EM pulse. You could take the EM pulse slots and slot some Zephyr to make up the ranged defense bonus, and put the other slots elsewhere as you please. Ultimately, I don't mind going without travel these days, though still take them on characters that demand it for theme, or where muling travel powers is especially helpful.

To answer your questions:

1 - The -res from all sonic attacks stack, even with themselves. You can Shriek >Shriek>Shriek and even each successive Shriek will stack with the last.

2 - Howl is a little disappointing as an attack, it's true. If you compare it to other aoe -resist powers though, it's much more favorable. Think of it as an aoe -resist that happens to do some damage. It isn't ignorable damage, but you won't be melting crowds with it alone. It sets up your nuke for even more power, and helps the team chew through spawns more quickly.

Thanks, Only!

Good tip on detoggling stuff when solo ... esp WoC (seems pretty useless, moreso than Choking Cloud).   I was thinking of keeping EM Pulse as I think it does massive -Regen to what it hits, probably good for AVs.  I also like the Oh-Crap Button factor or alternativing it with the nuke.    Man I just wish Shout animated like Blaze 😄

I do quite enjoy EMP myself! That's just a functional spot I would look if I were really dead set on a travel power.

@beradical actually convinced me to go all-in on chocking cloud, and I found that it was really effective! I'd love to hear how you are liking it.  It's nice that I can just keep it running without recasting, and it does a surprisingly great job of locking things down.

Shout is a bit of a long cast for sure. To me, it really came down to wanting oooone more consistently available big punch power outside the proccy hold. Shout is basically it! One upside is that the long animation does help with proc chances. You could also choose to shift the purple damage proc to screech instead, which turns out okay when procced, and has a faster animation. Personally, I found Shout to fit in better with my typical attack cycle.

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Like 1