A mind / earth / leviathan build - Feedback welcomed

EnjoyTheJourney

Below is the build I'm running for my mind / earth dom. It's a lot of fun to play.

This build tends to work best on teams, but it can do well solo in most higher difficulty content. Water spout has good uptime and it helps noticeably by cc'ing and damaging mobs. A key below-the-radar part of how sustain works for this build lies in rotating barrier and unleash potential (boosted by power up), as well as mixing in melee core when possible*. There are some periods in which none of those are up, and in those times there is a higher chance of needing to hibernate briefly, if big damage gets taken, until key powers recharge. 

* Many thanks are due to Mezmera for pointing out how this can be done. It helps survivability quite a bit. 

The build exemps very well for all content for which terrify can be used. It will exemp reasonably well to even lower levels than when terrify is available. But, controls won't be as "dominating" and AOE contributions will be significantly lower compared to when terrify is available. 

No build is perfect and others have a very good chance of spotting outright errors or potentially better tradeoffs that can be made. Feedback is welcome and appreciated. As always, if the build here helps somebody else, then that's a highly welcome outcome. 

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.5.6
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Sentient Stone: Level 50 Magic Dominator
Primary Power Set: Mind Control
Secondary Power Set: Earth Assault
Power Pool: Force of Will
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Leviathan Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Mesmerize -- CaloftheS-Acc/EndRdx(A)
Level 1: Stone Spears -- Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A)
Level 2: Dominate -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(3), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), Apc-Acc/Rchg(5), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(31)
Level 4: Tremor -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(17), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(50)
Level 6: Weaken Resolve -- Acc-I(A), AchHee-ResDeb%(9)
Level 8: Mass Hypnosis -- SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(36), SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(46), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(48), SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(50)
Level 10: Hurl Boulder -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(11), Apc-Dam%(23), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(13), FrcFdb-Rechg%(15)
Level 12: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(13)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(25)
Level 16: Power Up -- HO:Membr(A)
Level 18: Total Domination -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(21), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(19), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(19)
Level 20: Heavy Mallet -- TchofDth-Acc/Dmg(A), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx(23), TchofDth-Dmg/Rchg(27), TchofDth-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), TchofDth-Dam%(36)
Level 22: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(27), UnbGrd-ResDam(25), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(45), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(45)
Level 26: Terrify -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), PstBls-Dam%(43), GlmoftheA-Dam%(37), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(40), JvlVll-Dam%(43)
Level 28: Seismic Smash -- Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Hct-Dmg(29), Hct-Dam%(29), Hct-Acc/Rchg(31), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), UnbCns-Dam%(33)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(46), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(48)
Level 32: Mass Confusion -- CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(A), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(34), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(33), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(33), CrcPrs-Conf%(34), CrcPrs-Conf(45)
Level 35: Water Spout -- SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(46), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(48), AchHee-ResDeb%(36), FrcFdb-Rechg%(37)
Level 38: Fissure -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(39), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(39), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), PstBls-Dam%(40), FrcFdb-Rechg%(40)
Level 41: Shark Skin -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(42), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(42), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(42), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(43)
Level 44: Mighty Leap -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 47: Unleash Potential -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 49: Hibernate -- Prv-Absorb%(A)
Level 1: Domination 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(7), Mrc-Rcvry+(17)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PwrTrns-+Heal(9)
Level 6: Takeoff 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 50: Mighty Radial Final Judgement 
Level 50: Seers Radial Superior Ally 
Level 50: Cardiac Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Melee Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Degenerative Core Flawless Interface 
------------

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney

A few things I go with on my Mind dom.  

Mesmerize - 1 slot 50+5 Apoc dmg

Dominate - I do the whole set of Superior Ascendancy but if you're keeping Mass Hypnosis then Apoc is fine here but I'd move the proc in and the Dmg IO to Mesmerize

Total Domination - I 5 the purple set w/proc plus gladiator net proc.  The hold procs real well for some subtly juicy dmg.

Terrify - It doesn't proc great because of the fast recharge but well enough because of the target count.  Still I find this a filler power and slot it only to 3

Mass Confusion - I have a full set of malaise since I don't mind all that damage proc'ing since I'm using this in the thick of a fight to start.  I put the full purple set into ST confuse in case I want to be sneaky.  

Unleash Potential - I 5 slot it, 4 Shield Walls all the ones with recharge +5 w/the unique then a lotg.  I take this power at 20 or at least 22 so my defenses travel with me. 

You will probably get more mileage from subbing out CJ for Concealment or Leadership pool.  

As for incarnates I strictly use Hybrid assault double hit since the defenses are already top notch.  I like Diamagnetic for interface since the -tohitt amplifies on top of my defenses and the -regen is fine.  Carnies are Seers but much better.  I go Agility since it'll boost all of my low slotted defenses with just lotg's plus it feeds UP real well, but then I have my emergency endurance refill in Soul which your Sharkies don't get ya so you may need to stay Cardiac.   

I'll leave you to your Earth/Shark powers.  Not entirely too shabby though. 

Edited by Mezmera
  • Like 1

That's a pretty nice build.

The main thing that sticks out to me is that if you slotted Dominate with 6 procs instead of set bonuses, you'd have a power that recharges in about 3 seconds that deals more damage than the hammer powers, because of Dominate's very fast animation. You'd still need enough Accuracy to make it hit, but between everything else you have access to you could probably skip most of the attacks in Earth Assault and be fine. 

I'm a huge fan of Water Spout so keep it if you're in love with it. However, I do wonder if you'd be happier with Mu Mastery. That's not a suggestion I make often, but in this case, with Earth's heavy endurance costs and Mind's sneaky mezzes, I wonder if you would prefer to have Power Sink (for the end bar refill, not for reducing enemy blue bars). That would allow you to pick Barrier for your Destiny pick without worrying about the blue bar, and if you wanted to you could get Surge of Power for a third source of mitigation when Unleash Potential and Barrier are down.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EnjoyTheJourney said:

Thank you both for your feedback.

I'll ponder things and test some things out over the next several days; at least a few tweaks are likely, based on the ideas given here. 

I was looking to free up a power or two for you, 7 assault powers feels like one too many, but looking at Earth they all seem pretty decent, if anything I was looking at Hurl Boulder but that's the only ranged attacked in the set.  You'll see what powers you can get off in your chain and the least used ones that you could sub out for a defense shield or something.   

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 4:53 PM, Mezmera said:

I was looking to free up a power or two for you, 7 assault powers feels like one too many, but looking at Earth they all seem pretty decent, if anything I was looking at Hurl Boulder but that's the only ranged attacked in the set.  You'll see what powers you can get off in your chain and the least used ones that you could sub out for a defense shield or something.   

Hurl boulder is a good skill to keep; it is, as you mention, the only ranged skill available. It also has good DPA and good utility. 

Tremor has decent utility because of the sets it can hold, the ability to slot a -res proc, and the knockdown. Still, DPA for tremor is at the lower end and if the mastery chosen offered something better than bile spray, then tremor would probably be a good candidate for removal. In fact, an earlier incarnation of the build didn't use tremor and had 4 powers from soul mastery, instead of 3 powers from leviathan mastery.

The two powers that get the least use are mesmerize and stone spears. All the others are used on a regular basis. 

FWIW, terrify gets the "MVP" nod for AOE powers in the build. It does noticeably more DPA than the two AOE powers in earth assault and it doubles as a soft control. 

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney

1 hour ago, EnjoyTheJourney said:

Hurl boulder is a good skill to keep; it is, as you mention, the only ranged skill available. It also has good DPA and good utility. 

Tremor has decent utility because of the sets it can hold, the ability to slot a -res proc, and the knockdown. Still, DPA for tremor is at the lower end and if the mastery chosen offered something better than bile spray, then tremor would probably be a good candidate for removal. In fact, an earlier incarnation of the build didn't use tremor and had 4 powers from soul mastery, instead of 3 powers from leviathan mastery.

The two powers that get the least use are mesmerize and stone spears. All the others are used on a regular basis. 

FWIW, terrify gets the "MVP" nod for AOE powers in the build. It does noticeably more DPA than the two AOE powers in earth assault and it doubles as a soft control. 

Yeah tremor is the one I'd lose but I didn't want to insinuate you should pick a better patron.  😜

Mesmerize I hardly use but for when I can stop something in its tracks with little effort like perma sleeping Ghost Widow or something.  Minimal slotting, still very effective, just not a bread and butter power.  My first pick powers hardly ever get slots dedicated to them, my t1 blasts never even get into my tray, sad you're stuck with quickly obsolete powers.  

No doubt Terrify is a great power, it's just hard slotting wise to identify the most optimal thing you'd want to do with it.  It for sure gets cast quite frequently though and certainly does amp up the damage plus that soft control.