Basic Emp question: where to slot procs?

Zhym

I have a very basic question about how to slot the common health procs (e.g., Numina +Regen/+Recovery, Miracle +Recovery, Preventative Medicine +Absorb) on Empathy defenders.  With my tanks/scrappers/blasters/etc., I usually just take the procs and put them in Health or another passive power so the procs are always active.  But with an Emp, the sets have value when six-slotted.  For example, when 6-slotted, Preventative Medicine gives +8.75% to recharge, Numina gives a +3.75% to ranged defense, and Power Transfer adds +7.5% to recharge.  But if you slot those in an active power, the procs don't necessarily fire all the time, right?  So do people typically six-slot these, or do they five-slot them and still put the procs in passive powers—or does it depend on the power? 

Thanks!

I'd have to read up a bit about Power Transfer (and the other new Endmod sets, I haven't been able to get in game since those came out).  But for the others:

Miracle and Numina's are what they call Proc 120's.  This means they work for 120 seconds after the power is activated.  In a toggle or auto power they renew themselves every 10 secs.  In a click power, they'll work for 120 seconds after you click the power to activate it.  So in Healing Aura or Heal Other you need to keep clicking them at least every 120 seconds for the bonus to be 'perma'.  Same thing if in one of your other Heal enhancement accepting powers (AP, RegenAura or AB).  Obviously unless you have something to target that will make all of them problematic if no allies or pets you can target whenever needed or can't get the recharge that low for RegenAura)  Then again you're an Empath your Auras should be making those buffs fairly redundant unless your build has rather long cooldowns on your Auras (solo with high defense investment, minimal global recharge etc.)

Preventative Medicine proc functions a little oddly but as I understand it you don't have to use the power it just does its thing.  And again never used Power Transfer on a character (computer died) to date.

But largely they are redundant bonuses (the +recovery and +regeneration, +absorb) for an Empath and not nearly as beneficial as on your average melee or blaster character.  

PS:  I typically drop Miracle in Health and Preventative Medicine in HA.  I probably wouldn't worry about Power Transfer since once Incarnated my cool down is under 30 seconds on the Auras and I already have multiple 7.5% recharge from Panacea.  Numina's gets skipped outside of solo builds ... I'm all about recharge.  Actual defense is incidental.  

Edited by Doomguide2005
Typos
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, @Doomguide2005, that's helpful.  Perhaps purely by chance, I also have Preventive Medicine slotted into HA, mostly for the recharge boost.  My other current slotting (at level 39) is:

Heal Other: Harmonized Healing (6)

Fortitude: Reactive Defense (6)

Recovery Aura: Efficacy Adaptor (6)

Regen Aura: Doctored Wounds (5)

Absorb Pain: Numina (4)

Adrenalin Boost: 3 recharge SOs, 1 heal SO

Health: Numina +Regen/+Recovery, Miracle +Recovery, Heal IO

Stamina: Perf. Shifter +End, 2 EndMod IOs

I also have a LoTG +regen in combat jumping, and plan to put one in Maneuvers.  I guess I slot +regen out of habit, but this toon has been an endurance hog for some reason, thus all the +recovery.

The thing I've been waffling over is Adrenalin Boost: slot it with health?  Endurance?  What I really want out of that is fast recharge, because the health and regen boosts already seem pretty big that I don't feel I really need to boost them.  But it would be nice if I could have it recharge as fast as possible—and good set bonuses would be a definite plus.

Edited by Zhym

Myself I'd 5 slot Panacea in AB for the 7.5 global recharge in the 5th slot.  I used to drop an Endmod in the 6th slot but since Nukes no longer crash no longer really need it.  The most valuable thing about AB you can't enhance --> its +100% recharge boost. 

Back later, lunch over

• Like 1

In general I use Preventative Medicine in one power and then either Doctored Wounds or Panacea in the remainder as I'm chasing global recharge bonuses.  Doctored Wounds is the less expensive option.  For AB I'm enhancing the Heal => i.e. its regeneration value.  Since regen is a reactive response you can't really have too much.  You absolutely benefit most by recovering what you lost as rapidly as possible making it more likely the next blow has as much health as possible to soak the damage of the next blow(s).

One proc I haven't been able to try out owing to my unforseen hiatus is Gaussian's.  Specifically in Fortitude or Soul Drain.  The idea of controlling the timing of the proc rather than the randomness of slotting in Tactics obviously has appeal since I can trigger then nuke.  

Speaking of Tactics (and procs) since I always run Tactics on my Empaths and do so relatively early (24th or earlier) I do not use Kismet +6% like I do quite often on many other builds

As for being an endurance hog, yes it can be an issue for an offender Empath when your Recovery Aura is on cool down.  But that's one reason I strongly chase global recharge.  Getting those Auras on minimal cooldown helps tremendously.  With your Auras running even with no defense you've got a lot of sources of potential mitigation to add on top (inspires, teammates, mez powers, epic shields, your own heals).   Just as an aside I typically try to match or come very close to having the same cooldown time on my Auras.  It's one less thing I need to watch closely.  If one Aura is ready the other is or is about to be and I can cast them one after another then continue buffing and blasting.

• Like 1