Shield Charge - Force Feedback?

StriderIV

Hi all!

Working on my Shield/Rad Tanker, and I was curious: do any of you usually place a Force Feedback +chance for recharge into it?

I’m trying to decide if I should fully 6 slot an Avalanche/Armageddon set in it, or if it would be more of a benefit to have a Force Feedback take up one a slot.

Thanks!

It already has knockdown, so I would think Avalanche would be a bit wasted.  Armageddon is a great choice and how much a hit, overall on your build, is having only five of the set?  +recharge is *always* a good thing, in my book 👍

• Thumbs Up 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

I always have to work out the proc chances.  FF:+rech is a safe bet because it only has to proc on at least one of the targets you hit as it does not stack.

As for everything else, what is working against you is that Shield Charge is a pseudopet.  Thus it uses 10 seconds as the Activate Period rather than the lengthy base recharge time of the power.  Also, it has a relatively large area, so that cuts down the proc chance as well.  I haven't worked it out but I wouldn't be surprised if even a purple proc only hits a third or fewer of the targets.

If I put a proc in Shield Charge it is either FF:+rech or it belongs to a set and I'm putting it there for the sixth-slot bonus more than the effect of the proc.  Otherwise I can usually find a better place for that enhancement slot and I leave it at 5 slots in SC.

Thing to keep in mind with FF:+rech, assuming I am remembering this correctly... the recharge is very impressive at 100% but it's only for five seconds.  Averaged out over time, it's worth about what a LotG:+rech is worth in terms of global recharge.  In other words, the more global recharge you already have in a build, the less noticeable adding something like another 7.5% will be.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, PLVRIZR said:

It already has knockdown, so I would think Avalanche would be a bit wasted.  Armageddon is a great choice and how much a hit, overall on your build, is having only five of the set?  +recharge is *always* a good thing, in my book 👍

Great point! I wasn't sure if it just "added" to the Knockdown effect or not. Armageddon does seem like a good option.

I currently has Superior Might of the Tanker in Atom Smasher for Rad Melee. Perhaps I could find a new spot for that and drop Avalanche in there to add a KD effect to that power. 

2 hours ago, ZemX said:

I always have to work out the proc chances.  FF:+rech is a safe bet because it only has to proc on at least one of the targets you hit as it does not stack.

As for everything else, what is working against you is that Shield Charge is a pseudopet.  Thus it uses 10 seconds as the Activate Period rather than the lengthy base recharge time of the power.  Also, it has a relatively large area, so that cuts down the proc chance as well.  I haven't worked it out but I wouldn't be surprised if even a purple proc only hits a third or fewer of the targets.

If I put a proc in Shield Charge it is either FF:+rech or it belongs to a set and I'm putting it there for the sixth-slot bonus more than the effect of the proc.  Otherwise I can usually find a better place for that enhancement slot and I leave it at 5 slots in SC.

Thing to keep in mind with FF:+rech, assuming I am remembering this correctly... the recharge is very impressive at 100% but it's only for five seconds.  Averaged out over time, it's worth about what a LotG:+rech is worth in terms of global recharge.  In other words, the more global recharge you already have in a build, the less noticeable adding something like another 7.5% will be.

Great call out on Shield Charge being a pseudopet. I was away of that, but it totally skipped my mind tha it adjusts the activate period.

41 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

Great call out on Shield Charge being a pseudopet. I was away of that, but it totally skipped my mind tha it adjusts the activate period.

So I ran the numbers and it doesn't look great.  FF:Rech would have a 10% proc chance in Shield Charge.  Not bad if you hit the target cap of 16, but it's still about an 18% chance you proc on nobody even in that case.  That goes up to around 34% chance of no proc if you hit only 10 targets with the charge.

Still.. a set of five Armageddon and a FF:rech?  That's 10% guaranteed recharge plus the roll of a die on FF:rech.  Not bad really.  Follow it with a PBAoE and it might knock a few seconds off that one too.

• Like 1

Force Feedback in AE is normally a non-brainer because the large number of targets makes the proc chance near 100% even on short recharge powers.

That being said, Shield Charge isn't a particularly good choice due to its the extremely long recharge. Getting 5 sec of +100 recharge on a 14 sec recharge Dragon's Tail is a near-perma +100% global recharge. Getting 5 sec of +100 recharge on a 90 sec Shield Charge is more like +10% global recharge... if you're charging on Cooldown (which you probably aren't).

6 hours ago, ZemX said:

So I ran the numbers and it doesn't look great.  FF:Rech would have a 10% proc chance in Shield Charge.  Not bad if you hit the target cap of 16, but it's still about an 18% chance you proc on nobody even in that case.  That goes up to around 34% chance of no proc if you hit only 10 targets with the charge.

Still.. a set of five Armageddon and a FF:rech?  That's 10% guaranteed recharge plus the roll of a die on FF:rech.  Not bad really.  Follow it with a PBAoE and it might knock a few seconds off that one too.

Appreciate you running those numbers man!