???/Psi

USCI

What is a good thematic pairing that works best for a Psi secondary?  I'm torn between Willpower or Super Reflexes (leaning towards SR).

Or would it work better if I went with a Psi scrapper?  What secondary for the scrapper?

I've got a psy/mental blaster that I love playing and I'm wanting to experience it close up.

Thanks!

I was actually thinking about rolling an SR/Psi Tanker myself (and came to the forums seeking knowledge!) By chance is your blaster Mind's Eye? Psi Blasters don't seem common, so if you play on Everlasting I'm guessing so. Her costumes are amazing! ^^

Thematically I thought SR/Psi makes sense based on how Fortunatas gain their defense via precognitive clairvoyance. I thought it might be fun to roll a Praetorian version of my Fortunata main as such! Dodging all the hits not because she's super fast; she just knows when and where they're coming. I'm hoping the all the -Recharge on Psi melee helps reduce the chance of lucky hits too.

13 hours ago, USCI said:

Or would it work better if I went with a Psi scrapper?  What secondary for the scrapper?

Hmm.. Psi Melee on a tank might be quite good.  PBS is a very good cone, but ML is rather small in radius.  Tanker AoE buffs would be interesting to see for those powers.  FWIW:  My Psi/SD is a scrapper, and when Insight is up and Greater Psi Blade crits, the Big Orange Numbers are extremely satisfying.  She's obviously not as durable as the tank version would be, but I'm willing to wager she hits significantly harder. 😉

/Nin, /EA, /SR. and /SD all thematically pair well with the Psi Melee.  Shield Charge helps shore up the lack of AoE in the set quite nicely.  It's also good for chaining knock-up with Charge, Mass Lev, and Mighty Judgement.

48 minutes ago, Battlecruiser said:

I'm hoping the all the -Recharge on Psi melee helps reduce the chance of lucky hits too.

Meh.  The -rech is mostly incidental.  AV resistances tend to cancel out the effect. Though in long solo fights at +4x8 I suppose it does start have an minor effect on lts and bosses, now that I think about it.

Now the hold in Greater Psi Blade ... the one that is a massive 14 seconds long* when Insight is up, *that* is worth leveraging.

* - Greater Psi Blade is a Mag 3 Hold for 9.5 seconds (City of Data says 100% chance).  With Insight it's flagged for Mag 3 at 14.5 seconds.  I am reasonably sure that those are individual effects, not additive ones.  If I am reading City of Data correctly the buffed Insight version replaces the normal one. 

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Like 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

19 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

Now the hold in Greater Psi Blade ... the one that is a massive 14 seconds long* when Insight is up, *that* is worth leveraging.

That's cool! I really hadn't thought about the insight mechanic very much. I was, however, excited to proc out Greater Psi Blade with %Damage IOs from the Hold sets. That's another reason why I liked SR/ for the Tanker, since it's so easy to achieve a baseline of survival and then start moving on to proc slotting. 

27 minutes ago, Battlecruiser said:

I was, however, excited to proc out Greater Psi Blade with %Damage IOs from the Hold sets.

Yeah, that could work very well.  I run the two dmg procs from the purple sets (Melee and Hold) since any more than that would cut into critical damage for a scrapper.

Insight is pretty random, but it is strong when pops.  It would be better if Concentration granted Insight and/or cleared the Lockout timer, but I do watch for it.

As a bonus, Psi Melee wants lots of recharge, so /SR gives a little head start on that.

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Like 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

Got my old Will/Psi/Force I’ve been updating lately; I’ll toss it up to give you some ideas.

I really like Wall of Force in the Force of Will pool, too, so took that at 14.  Versus multiple targets it does way more damage than your T1 attack.

Tanking solo is all about leveraging your survivability to pump out AoE.  An Ice Tank’s most damaging power is often Icicles when you factor in all the targets.

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.5.9
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Sable Shrike: Level 50 Mutation Tanker
Primary Power Set: Willpower
Secondary Power Set: Psionic Melee
Power Pool: Force of Will
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Mind Over Body -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx:40(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:40(3), RctArm-ResDam:40(3), RctArm-EndRdx:40(9), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+:30(11)
Level 1: Mental Strike -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg:35(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx:35(31), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg:35(34), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:35(39)
Level 2: High Pain Tolerance -- RctArm-ResDam:40(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx:40(11), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg:40(13), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:40(13), Prv-Heal/EndRdx:50(15), Prv-Heal:50(25)
Level 4: Telekinetic Blow -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(A), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(5), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg:50(5), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(7), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg:50(7), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb:50(9)
Level 6: Indomitable Will -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:50(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(19), LucoftheG-Def:50(29), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(29), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg:50(31), Ksm-ToHit+:30(40)
Level 8: Rise to the Challenge -- Prv-Heal:50(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx:50(27), Prv-Heal/Rchg:50(27)
Level 10: Project Will -- Dvs-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(A)
Level 12: Mighty Leap -- WntGif-ResSlow:50(A)
Level 14: Wall of Force -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech:50(A), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg:50(15), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End:50(17), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech:50(17), OvrFrc-Dam/KB:50(19), Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End:50(40)
Level 16: Psi Blade Sweep -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(A), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(21), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg:50(21), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(23), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg:50(23), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%:50(25)
Level 18: Heightened Senses -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:50(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(33), LucoftheG-Def:50(33), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(33), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg:50(34), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP:50(50)
Level 20: Fast Healing -- Prv-Heal:50(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx:50(34), Prv-Heal/Rchg:50(36)
Level 22: Quick Recovery -- PwrTrns-EndMod:50(A), PwrTrns-+Heal:50(37)
Level 24: Concentration -- RechRdx-I:50(A), RctRtc-ToHit:20(31), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg:20(36)
Level 26: Unleash Potential -- RechRdx-I:50(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg:50(36), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx:50(39)
Level 28: Boggle -- CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg:50(A), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg:50(39), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg:50(42), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx:50(42), CrcPrs-Conf%:50(48)
Level 30: Resurgence -- RechRdx-I:50(A)
Level 32: Strength of Will -- GldArm-3defTpProc:50(A)
Level 35: Greater Psi Blade -- SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg:50(A), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(43), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(43), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg:50(43), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx:50(45), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc:50(45)
Level 38: Mass Levitate -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(45), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg:50(46), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(46), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx:50(46), RechRdx-I:50(48)
Level 41: Focused Accuracy -- EndRdx-I:50(A), EndRdx-I:50(42), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg:20(48), RctRtc-ToHit:20(50)
Level 44: Physical Perfection -- PwrTrns-EndMod:50(A), PwrTrns-+Heal:50(50)
Level 47: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 49: Tough -- UnbGrd-Max HP%:50(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I:50(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Heal-I:50(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Run-I:50(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Jump-I:50(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End:50(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+:50(37), Mrc-Rcvry+:40(37)
Level 1: Stamina -- PwrTrns-EndMod:50(A), PwrTrns-+Heal:50(40)
Level 12: Takeoff 
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
Level 50: Mighty Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Cognitive Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Seers Radial Superior Ally 
Level 50: Barrier Radial Epiphany 
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment 
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 50: Portal Jockey 
Level 50: Task Force Commander 
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion 
------------

Here's what I'm running at the moment.  Sacrifices some proc and recharge to be tankier, but it's what I was aiming for.

I didn't take Taunt in this, but you could drop Boggle for it and move those slots around some.  My reasoning was Wall of Force hits more targets, does pretty reliable Knockdown, and still taunts for 13 seconds.  Apart from Hami Raids, there's not much that will demand you have Taunt.  You can set up your alternate build for Hami Raids as well.

This has capped S/L Resistance and 31% Defense to all but Psi.  That means you're at softcap whenever you fire Unleash Potential, and just under softcap (at 43-44%) with a single small Luck inspiration.

With Rise to the Challenge's -ToHit, anything in range of it will effectively be at floored hit chance with all but pure Psi when attacking you.  Similar to Invulnerability Tanks, you're safest when in melee due to your debuff/buff aura.

Combine that with your massive Regen and pretty much nothing can drop you.

Boggle's slow to fire but can really cause chaos if you learn your mob types, so I wanted it in.  Usually a Lt. is your best target with it.

Mental Strike is mostly just for the set bonuses, but I do also use it for low level exemplaring.  You get better options for attacks later on.

Forgot to mention, Willpower can slot a total of THREE Power Transfer procs if you take Body Mastery for an epic.  That means with a Panacea as well you've got FOUR passive HP heals firing without having to do anything.

SR can do a similar trick and wind up with one Panacea and two Power Transfer Heal procs.  The healing on an SR at low health means you're unkillable when your scaling Resistance from SR is maxed.

EDIT:  Forgot to mention, something else you can do is drop Project Will for Weaken Resolve, drop Boggle for Taunt, and move all the slots to Weaken Resolve.  You can slot a LOT of procs that are pretty much guaranteed to fire in Weaken, the best one being Achilles' -Res debuff.  If you'd rather amplify team damage on hard targets that's a valid route to go.

Edited by SableShrike