Indoor Sky

I wanted to create an outside park inside my base. Now to clarify I only want an outdoor sky in one room (8x8 room). I have tried adjusting the sky type through the menu option.. I have tried adding sky with the sky sections inside the room, but neither of these work. Is there no way to create ONE room with a sky? My base is basically complete except for this one room so deleting it and doing the whole "build outside the base" thing is not an option.

To create an indoor open sky...

1.  Go into select item mode.  Select a section of the room.  Use the object window to raise (remove) the ceilings to the highest level.  Hit the "apply to room" button at the bottom of the window.

2.  Go into select style mode, high ceilings tab.  Select open sky.  It should automatically apply to the entire room.

3.  To change your indoor sky (not the default/world sky);  go back into select item mode, skies tab.  Select a sky box and place it in the room. 

4.  If you want to switch to a different sky box, be sure to delete the existing one first.  Go to current room mode and scroll until you see the sky.  Click on the sky to select then hit delete, or hit the sell button.  Items are added to the end of the scroll as they are placed.  So depending on when you set the sky and when you decide to delete it will determine where it is in the scroll.

Disagreement: the sky boxes are only 5x5 and it is super obvious when you cross out of them; looking at a sky section they affect from outside them does not show their sky.

It's better to set a default sky for the base.  Use the skybox for like a 2x2 ceiling hole or something off by itself, but not a main room. You'd have to layer a bunch of them with significant overlap to bypass the fade out effect as you move around otherwise. Until they're available in a larger size I don't find them practical.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

Disagreement: the sky boxes are only 5x5 and it is super obvious when you cross out of them; looking at a sky section they affect from outside them does not show their sky.

It's better to set a default sky for the base.  Use the skybox for like a 2x2 ceiling hole or something off by itself, but not a main room. You'd have to layer a bunch of them with significant overlap to bypass the fade out effect as you move around otherwise. Until they're available in a larger size I don't find them practical.

The question was regarding indoor skies, so that is what I focused on. 

To clarify, there are two options for skies; indoor and world/default.

The world/default sky can be changed with /base_default_sky # (where #= 0-15)

The skyboxes are smaller volumes of sky usually for use in rooms with a bit of open ceiling.

The default sky can also be seen with open ceilings.

The good news is, you can have it all...

You can have the larger world/default sky set to one thing, and then have multiple different skies set indoors.  Heck, you can even set skyboxes OUTSIDE if you want. 

Some folks like the multiple sky option. 

So, it comes down to a matter of preference and what you are trying to create.

• 2 weeks later

No the question was how to do an indoor sky in an EIGHT BY EIGHT room. And the part the questioner was confused about was where to find the Open Sky style for the ceiling tile. They already noted they had tried placing both sky boxes and setting a new default sky, and just weren't seeing sky. So you did answer that. And then you went into unnecessary instruction about using sky boxes in bases, which I disagreed with because of the room size they specified they were using.

My personal experience testing skies was that tiling skyboxes causes obvious fadeouts. You have to cumbersomely overstack them to minimize that effect. That is why I said just using a default sky setting would be better than a skybox in this situation. Of course, as long as the open sky style was applied, even the default base sky would function.

I'm not saying people can't use both systems. I'm not trying to tone police base options. I'm saying from my personal experience Option B will work better than Option A in this specific question.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

And then you went into unnecessary instruction about using sky boxes in bases

I've always felt that more information allows people more choices.

I've also seen some very clever usage of sky boxes... whether or not they are cumbersome to use is up to the individual designer to decide.