In-Game Contacts as Super Dudes

cranebump

Little background: One of my Incarnates (and a toon I run fairly regularly on Excel) is KR Devil, who is basically Juan Jiminez from King's Row (note: I've seen his last name spelled two ways - this one appears to be correct). Yesterday, ran a new version of an old character idea on Torch. Running solo, so smaller pop was preferable. Running without 2XP, I picked up every AP contact that would allow me to do their mishes, and continued this into KR. As I went through Tony Kord's mish, I got to thinking, What (where) is this guy's super ID? I mean he IS Tony Stark/Ted Kord, so where is Iron Beetle, or Beetle Man, or Steel Scarab or something? 

So, then I thought, well, since I ran "Juan Jiminez" as a super hero, why not do the same with this guy? Which led to, I wonder what other contacts might lead the ol' super double life? This led me to consider creating and playing the following contacts, all as part of a team (maybe an irregular one, but a team nevertheless). Worse case, I might develop a series of AE arcs around them (since I'm looking for my next project).

With that, I'm looking for ideas from the talented community to go with the ones I've already got, below (all in various stages of conception/development):

• Tony Kord: Some conglomeration of Iron Man/Blue Beetle (or other techie guy with $$). I figure this is an Energy/Energy Sentinel, though could work as a blaster for the KB melee (since I'll be soloing, that could come in handy).

• Rachel Torres: I managed to work up a basic character and get her in game as Street Angel (an homage to the Astro City character, though I am thinking she needs to be KR Angel, as bookend to Juan). Her detective BG and vendetta with the Lost has me picturing her last tussle was worse than the previous (says she was nearly killed early in her career by them, and lost her partner). So, I thought maybe ol' Tony might've provided her some minor augmentation (maybe a reticle or something for night sight; perhaps a cybernetic arm?). Currently have her as a Stalker, MA/SR.

• Jonathan St. John-Smythe: Seems like a support guy that works the lab, but thought of him as Omnibus (the guy who does the research, provides the designs and such, which Kord funds)Could be some sort of Mastermind?

• Kiros Nandelu: He already has minor powers (ability to see into the ultraviolet and infrared spectrums). And it sure seems easy enough to imagine him as some version of Black Panther, so probably a scrapper?

• Rebecca Brinell: Fits a similar niche as JSJ Smythe (and might be a better choice than him for a super dude [-ette?]), but I do not have a concept for her yet, but likely a Troller (urgh...would not be a fun solo).

• Haley Philips: It'd be interesting to do something with this contact, considering her backstory feels like a really interesting cover for her alt job: As an inspector for the Health Department, Haley investigates health hazards associated with super-powered, super-natural and alien events. Her group is dedicated to making sure the city´s residents live in safety, and that their homes protect them from Paragon City´s exotic threats. No concept just yet, but sure seems like a Defender.

That's all I have spitballed at the present. I'll be running contacts on Torch for a bit to see what else comes up (and who else I've forgotten). Look forward to hearing any ideas folks may have.

Thanks in advaance,

Crane

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 3

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Interesting.  I have done tributes to characters outside the game with alts on several occasions, but neglected the contacts ingame. 

As for Haley, I agree a defender would be fitting.  Empathy is most obvious, but I tend to avoid that one, as one of the most overdone sets in the game.  Maybe trick arrow could be written in as a natural hero?

What shard do you play on.  I'm on Excelsior.  Would love to run of my tributes with your Paragon city folks.

I run primarily on Excelsior on THU evenings. I get in some play on the weekends, usually morning or afternoon. The tribute characters are all on Torchbearer, though., simply because it’s quieter, and I was soloing. So far, I have:

Goldenward: Tony Kord, a play on IM as the Golden Avenger. Ran to L8 or 9, I think.

Street Angel: Rachel Torres. Ran to L5 or so.

Ivory Leopard: Nandelu. Just gathered explore badges.

Omnibus: Jon SJ-Smythe. Logged him in. Didn’t play him.

If there were enough interest, it’d be nice to run these guys as a team, along with Haley.

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

So this is fun. I decided to make Tavern Witch (Stephanie Peebles' alter ego). The ring on her brooch is of course the wedding band. I went Magic Sentinel thinking Invulnerability made sense based on the ring's powers, and the psychic blast set has a lot of ring looking animations. The name is of course a play on the term Tavern Wench and is based on Peebles backstory of being born above the Mermaid Tavern on Striga Isle.

screenshot_211017-00-59-02.thumb.jpg.f3581af69f1e6263fd14b7fe8514d974.jpgscreenshot_211017-01-02-08.thumb.jpg.8ef69630fa3786e1032c20d548234c9a.jpg

• Like 3

That is an awesome concept for Peebles. What server did you run on?

Feels like an themed SG might be in order. The Alter Egos? The Contact Tracers? 🙂

13 hours ago, voyager2001dl said:

Interesting.  I have done tributes to characters outside the game with alts on several occasions, but neglected the contacts ingame. 

As for Haley, I agree a defender would be fitting.  Empathy is most obvious, but I tend to avoid that one, as one of the most overdone sets in the game.  Maybe trick arrow could be written in as a natural hero?

What shard do you play on.  I'm on Excelsior.  Would love to run of my tributes with your Paragon city folks.

I think you’re right that Haley is likely an EMP Defender. She’d be some form of buffer or protector, which means she could also be a bubbler (though soloing with that...erg). She might be some form of sonic. And I haven’t played the new electric sets at all, nor do I have a water toon. Maybe something unusual like that. She’s a contact for a magic origin, so maybe her own origin is magic, as well? Maybe Kord outfits her with relics discovered...somewhere.