Transferring Invention set bonuses to a different set

plainguy

I hope I can express this well enough for people to understand.

Before inventions came along and everyone was naïve to defense numbers. Everyone was just creating the fantasy they had in their head.
EG Assault Rifle Device, Super Speeder, teleporter with Full Medic skills. 

But once Invention sets came along and with that understand the numbers. You finally realized that as much as that build was cool it was gimping you..  

For me it happen like this.. I was playing my Assault Rifle Device with another player. But this other player was just a massive beast..  He was surviving things I couldn't..  
We met on the forums and he pointed me  to links and I learned..  I try to give that forward then and now and I have those same links in my signature today.

But once I learned about the numbers, the game changed. I knew I could no longer be the AR/Device/SS/Teleporter/Full Medic..  I had to change up my fantasy.  

Today I am creating backstories based on my build and not the other way around.

It would be nice if  you could combine IOs from 2 different Invention categories but choose which IO set you wanted set bonuses from. 

EG 

I want to be that AR Device full medic, but I know going this route will kill my numbers..  So I decide to six slot Aid Other with Numina Convalesence but I want the set bonuses from from Thunder Strike..  So I combine the 2, maybe pay a fee for some special converter and BAM Numia healing power in aid other with Thunder Strike set bonus.

I think something like this would give players a bit more freedom to have that different toon but still retain some of the numbers they want as well. 

Again I am not looking to scam to get the best of both worlds type of thing.  I am just looking to expand the builds from the common cookie cutters.. 

As an example if you want DP/Kin.. The best build is from Darkir on the corruptors forum. I posted my build and then he reworked my build and then he re-worked his build again and then again.. He slowly just went through different irritations of the build and powers and IOs until he was able to just get a build that could not be tweaked anymore.  

As much as that was great work. It would be nice to have those build numbers but with different powers. 
I know there is a rule of 5 for set bonuses. So that is in place to prevent abuse.  Maybe other rules could be implemented for something like this as well. 

Maybe make it where you can only copy set bonuses from powers already slotted with a set bonus already.. 

Example.

You can only slot Aid Other with Thunder Strike set bonus if you already have it slotted in another set. 

Maybe limit the number of times you can do this to 1,2 or 3.

Again my only purpose to get players the option to create different builds and use more powers that are not commonly used otherwise.

Edited by plainguy

The result of this suggestion would be that any set could have any set bonus.

No, sorry, I don't think that would be a good idea or lead to build diversity . . . unless you define build diversity by the names and pictures on your enhancements.

There's a lot of ground between gimp on one end and the ultimate, cannot-be-better build, if such a thing even exists, on the other end.  And from one extreme to the other are thousands of permutations of viable builds that can do crazy and amazing things.  Moreover, in this game, even the most gimp build you can think of can solo the game from 1 to 50. 

So build your teleporting, rifle-toting medic!  I'd wager that with a little time in Mids you can even come up with one with soft-cap defense and good damage without having to transfer set bonuses between sets.