"Lightyear" Teaser Trailer (and Turning Red, because...)

One of the things I love about Pixar is they don't need words to tell a story. (Another: they love good tunes.)

Put me down for Premier seats and popcorn.

Though first, I really, really, REALLY wanna see Turning Red.

Because - no spoilers - what happens in this sequence is terribly, horribly familiar.

Well, most of it.

...it also has the perfect needle drop to match the action...

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

I'm a tad confused.  Are they saying that, within the TOY STORY universe, the toy Buzz Lightyear was inspired by a "real" astronaut?  Or are they saying that the toy Buzz was inspired by a popular Buck Rogers-like movie/cartoon character like we were led to believe in the first three TS movies?  'Cause that's quite a retcon if we've never heard of this "real" astronaut before now.  (Okay, qualification: I've never seen TS4, so apologies if it was all explained there.)

Either way, as a big fan of 1930s -1950s serial Sci-Fi, this looks very interesting.

According to the director and Chris Evans his very blonde and nuzzlable self in interviews: this is the "origin movie" for the tie-in toy. Hence why Evans voicing the movie, Warburton voicing the cartoon and Allen voicing the toy (in the movies) is still canon.

Which came first isn't explained, and isn't necessary. Given we've had two GI Joe movies, a Barbie movie with Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling is on the way, we've had MLP, She-Ra and Masters Of The Universe remakes, and there's even been a Battleships movie... it makes still sense if Evans' movie is the "reboot" for a beloved 1980/90s toy, maybe more these days.

And there's quite clearly some detailed love for the original showing through even in the trailer: note that Buzz's ship appears to be powered by "crystallic fusion". Pixar being Pixar, expect in-jokes and Easter Eggs a-go-go.

Still waiting on the cinema event of the decade though...

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

17 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Still waiting on the cinema event of the decade though...

spacer.png

I suspect they're just waiting to see if Dwayne Johnson would like to star in a third jungle-related franchise.  (Or does Rampage make that four?)

Edited by Techwright
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My take-away from the Lightyear movie is that it is the movie or TV show, which inspired a children's cartoon, which in turn the toy from Toy Story is based upon.  So think of it like the 80s Ghostbusters toys were chiefly based upon the Real Ghostbusters cartoon, which were loosely based upon the live action movie...

• Like 1

• 3 months later

Full trailer just dropped.

• Bowie!
  • Tentacles! (careful now)
  • Digital hairball / vomit noises that are so real, you'll sit bolt upright with carpet cleaner in your hand!
  • Possible Disney crossover guest appearance/design recycling: miniature CyBugs from Wreck-It Ralph
  • Taika Waititi is listed on IMDB as being in this, is joking about being the lead, and has played at least one insane dictator before... Zurg?
  • ...or is it everyone's other favourite purple, monologue-addict galactic overlord, James Brolin?
  • As an 80s' kid, the creepy Kitty Ruxpin toy/companion is on point (no, never had one, and even if we could have afforded one they still weirded me out at the time.)
  • Still being slightly cagey about the plot, but given what we know about warp-speed slingshots around the sun and how well those usually go...
    ...it's gonna be whales.