Awful performance on Beta. Anyone else?

nihilii

I'm getting a sizeable performance drop on Beta, compared to Live servers.

Ultra mode, Live servers, anywhere in the RWZ: 70-90 FPS.

Exact same settings, Brainstorm: 30-35 FPS.

On Brainstorm, I need to drop down to "Recommended" to barely get to 60 FPS.

I've always had this issue on the beta servers. For me it is specifically related to view distance. If I swing the camera so that it faces the outside of a zone or a solid wall, the slowdown lessens. It's usually fine inside missions.

I've tried limiting draw distance without success. I always assumed its related to the beta servers having fewer resources. If anyone has a solution I'd be down to try it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

I always assumed its related to the beta servers having fewer resources.

I would assume anything performance (FPS) related would be local, so unrelated to the resources allocated to Beta servers?

In any case, it's "encouraging" to hear you've had repeated performance issues on Beta (as in, it gives me hope the issue won't happen once we go Live).  Thank you! This is the first time the particular machine I'm using right now experiences Beta servers, so I have no past referential.

2 hours ago, nihilii said:

I would assume anything performance (FPS) related would be local, so unrelated to the resources allocated to Beta servers?

I'm not 100% certain how the CoX client reads packets sent by the server, but I always felt like the issue isn't actually the graphics settings and instead something related to the client trying to read delta packets from critters and players who are a long distance from the camera. In Peregrine Island for example the client runs fine when the camera is pointed from the Portal Corps sign toward the outer edge of the zone, but its a slide show when pointed from the Portal Co sign toward the docks with the zone in view. Have you noticed similar slowdowns? 

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1