Rikti canon question - dating and romantic practices

Khrystina

What, if any, "canon" exists around Rikti dating and romantic practices?  I've heard that they reproduce via cloning, possibly with genetic manipulation - I'm interested in the social/interpersonal aspects of their society.

This is for RP purposes, but I'd rather not get into the weeds about why I want to know.

Thanks!

The only mention of personal relationships that I can think of comes from one of the Rikti officer-types you run into in the course of the Vanguard arcs. (I'm afraid that don't remember his name, or exactly which mission he's in-) When you defeat him, he says something along the lines of wishing he could have seen his spouse and children again.

So... yeah.  Apparently some Rikti, at least, do have families. 

• Thanks 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

As I recall, they're not cloned.  They're born as regular human children, and then modified in to Rikti after puberty.

This suggests that . . . . well, what it suggests is probably a bit outside of the scope of the rules on these forums.  I'll just have to suggest anyone curious uses their imagination, or asks me in private.

As for relationships . . . yeah, it's even less clear.  All Rikti apparently develop a robust psychic connection after their transformation, and vocalized speech is actually something they struggle with.  That seems to imply that intimacy and relationships between Rikti would likely revolve around a great deal of mental closeness, possibly literally getting on to the same mental wavelength as their partner(s).  No mention as to whether Rikti society(societies) value intimate relationships, though.  I'm afraid I have no frame of reference for what Coyotedancer mentions, though; I don't remember that mission or dialogue at all.  On top of that; most Rikti on Primal Earth are -Converts!-  If one of them speaks about a spouse and children, it could very well be from their human family prior to transformation.

In short:  I don't think there's anything concrete about the subject in the canon.  Feel free to wing it!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

If one of them speaks about a spouse and children, it could very well be from their human family prior to transformation.

In short:  I don't think there's anything concrete about the subject in the canon.  Feel free to wing it!

I doubt that with this particular one, He's one of the named leader types. 

ETA: When I come across that mission again, I'll update the thread with the Arc ID, since I don't remember which one he's from. 

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Thanks 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

On 11/17/2021 at 4:14 PM, GraspingVileTerror said:

As I recall, they're not cloned.  They're born as regular human children, and then modified in to Rikti after puberty.

There's also mention in - might be a newspaper or tip mission. You run across a Rikti who expresses disgust at your (presumed human) "birth form."

Which raises a lot of questions, honestly... I don't *think* it was a converted Lost.

• Thanks 1

Kheldian backstory guide 2.0 is out.

On 11/19/2021 at 2:27 PM, GraspingVileTerror said:

I'm unsure, but is there actually some way to tell the difference between a Primal Convert and an original Rikti Earth Rikti?  Other than the big names (like Hro, the ambassadors, and the Riders), couldn't all the Rikti we interact with at this point be Converts?

Depends on your definition of "interact." The ones we fight are more likely to be converts, as the Restructurists - the military arm - wants to add to their ranks and keep fighting, while the ones we talk / sign treaties with (such as in Serpent Drummer's .. first? mission) are the Traditionalists, and don't *seem* to be bringing in converted Primal humans. Though they don't seem to turn them away either if they don't want to fight.

Name wise, the only one we know of is B'nadek (or however it's chopped up) as far as I'm aware. So I don't think we can really tell.

Edited by Greycat
  • Thanks 1

Kheldian backstory guide 2.0 is out.