Ice/Dev build critique request

Mezegis

I've been maining tanks and other melee characters since I came back a few months ago, and have decided to give range/blasting a go.

Ice seemed to have a lot of fast attack powers, and who doesnt like a good rain to finish off weakened enemies from other AoEs.  How does this build look/am I missing any main powers or build tricks?

Thanks!

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Ice Blast
Secondary Power Set: Devices
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Electrical Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Ice Bolt -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(3), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(5), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Toxic Web Grenade -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Ice Blast -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Dcm-Acc/Dmg(7), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(7), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(9), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(9), ImpSwf-Dam%(23)
Level 4: Caltrops -- Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(A), PstBls-Dam%(11), ImpSwf-Dam%(11), FrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(13)
Level 6: Aim -- RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(A), RctRtc-ToHit(15)
Level 8: Freeze Ray -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(15), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(17), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(17), Dcm-Acc/Dmg(19), UnbCns-Dam%(43)
Level 10: Targeting Drone -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(19)
Level 12: Ice Storm -- PstBls-Dam%(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(13), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(21), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(23)
Level 14: Fly -- Frb-Stlth(A)
Level 16: Hover -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(25), LucoftheG-Def(25), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(27), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(27), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(29)
Level 18: Bitter Ice Blast -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(29), Apc-Acc/Rchg(31), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), Apc-Dmg(31), CldSns-%Dam(42)
Level 20: Field Operative -- Rct-ResDam%(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(33), LucoftheG-Def(33), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(33), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(34), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 22: Kick -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(34), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(36), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(36), UnbGrd-Max HP%(37), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(37), UnbGrd-ResDam(37), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(39)
Level 26: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(39), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(39), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(40), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(40)
Level 28: Boxing -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(40), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(42), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 30: Combat Jumping -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(43)
Level 32: Blizzard -- Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(43), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Dmg(45), PstBls-Dam%(46)
Level 35: Static Discharge -- Empty(A)
Level 38: Gun Drone -- MckBrt-Rchg(A), MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(46), MckBrt-Acc/Rchg(46), MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg(48)
Level 41: Charged Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(48), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(48), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(50), Rct-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 47: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A)
Level 50: Cardiac Core Paragon 
------------

Some notes:

• Taser is a powerful ST attack and should be part of your core ST rotation.
  • Caltrops isn't a particularly good damage power, even with procs. It's very good for area denial, although not so much on a Hover Blaster.
  • Trip Mine is a great damage power roughly equivalent to a second ultimate.
  • Vengeance isn't a particularly good choice for a LotG mule when you also have Evasive Maneuvers available.
  • Electrical Mastery is an odd pool selection. If you want Charged Armor, Mu Mastery lets you take it without wasting a power pick on Static Discharge. If you want to build for S/L Defense, it becomes much easier with Cold Mastery or Mace Mastery.
  • Rains (Ice Storm, Blizzard) aren't all that great of a place to put procs due to how the mechanics work.
  • You're missing a number of the common uniques, particularly those dealing with End Management.
  • For a purely ranged build, pursuing S/L Defense rather than Ranged Defense is likely a less effective choice. It also forces you to take/slot a lot of powers in inefficient ways since you don't have an S/L Defense toggle.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Hjarki said:

Some notes:

• Trip Mine is a great damage power roughly equivalent to a second ultimate.

I like trip mine and I think it's worth taking. But from my experiences with a dark/dev blaster I'm noticing an anti-synergy with controllerish sets that enemies can't set off the trip mine if they can't get to you and that I'm better off mezzing my opponents when that's an option.  Anyway, it ends up making the power more situational than it otherwise would be.

It's not as big of a deal for those that are used to weaving in and out of combat. In your case with dark/dev you can potentially set up trip mine by using torrent mid hop into the spawn and as you land activate trip mine and then hop out and fire off tentacles mid jump. Hover blasters suffer from less maneuverability (without evasive maneuvers) and trip mine also requires the user to be closer to the ground so I can understand why those players skip it.

On OPs build besides the points @Hjarki made, I would also sub out static discharge for static bolt and proc monster that power. That allows for a quick 1-2 hold with freeze ray and a proc monster bolt will do decent damage to boot. Bolt is the real reason to go electrical mastery over mu.

The defense powers are also overslotted. 6 slots in hover is not worth it. I see the OP is trying to hit resist hardcap. You don't build blasters the same way you build tanks. Over investing in resist bonuses is a bit of a trap. Most of those bonuses comes in at 5 slots on non-attack powers, and that pays off poorly on blasters.

Your revision should have you focusing on range defense first since you pretty much ignored everything in your secondary that remotely requires you to get into melee range.

• Thumbs Up 2

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!