XP Boosters in Super Packs? Is this a mistake?

Tenebrose

About a week ago I starting seeing 25%, 50%, and Double Experience Boosters coming out of the Hero/Villain and Rogue/Vigilante Super Pack. They appear to be Uncommon, Rare, and Very Rare drops, respectively. I don't open many Winter Packs, so I don't know if they are in there.

I can say with 99.999% certainty that they were not part of the drop tables before either the new Issue/Page or perhaps the start of the Winter Event. I've opened well over 1000 packs over the last few months and never seen them until this week. And now I have a few of each.

They appear to be identical to the free boosts at the P2W vendor: They boost XP while reducing influence gain. You can't claim them if you already have a PW2 booster active. You can't claim them at 50.

My questions are: Why? Is this intentional? Is it a throwback to live, before P2W? I only started getting into opening packs few months ago, so I don't know if that was "a thing" last year. I don't see any mention of it in the release notes, notes on Winter Events, or anywhere in the forums. Are these replacing another item on the table? Or are they diluting the chances of getting everything else by being added to the table? Was this a bug that snuck in the the last release?

The heart of the problem is that they appear to be utterly worthless. You are paying the same 10mil and getting at least one less item. It would be like getting one of the 5 "Starter" IOs that are available for free from the P2W vendor. And not everyone farms. So spending that to get a pack with literally a dead card would suck. Especially if it's a temporary issue.

It would have been "ok" if they worked on lv 50s or in conjunction with the P2W boosters. Anything but what we can already get multiples of for a click of the mouse using any lv 1 character.

Edited by Tenebrose