Make weapon type selectable for Masterminds

Dungpow

I would love to be able to choose my weapon type (DP, Rifle, Whip, etc) and then be able to choose my pet type (Demon, Thugs, Zombies, etc). Who wouldn't want to be a DP Demon herder or a Zombie Tamer with a whip? Please and thank you.

• Thumbs Down 1

Not sure how doable this is, especially with legacy sets. A new mastermind type that does the VEAT route (without the annoying, unneeded and did I mention annoying forced respec at 24) where you choose 'branches' is the closest example I can think off right offhand that might enable this.

Couldn't speak to how or if the sets and their weapons are balanced with those pairings in mind.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

This idea has cropped up from time to time, in various iterations.

I can't remember who recommended it, but somebody recently suggested making Mercenaries a Pool Set.  While I doubt Homecoming's Team would commit to something like that, it does inspire some interesting ideas about how we could potentially implement some workarounds.

Another alternative . . . a new Archetype which has a Ranged Set, an Assault Set, or a Control Set (or a hybrid thereof) as the Primary, and the Secondary is the Henchpet Sets, but with the attacks replaced by personal Survival Powers (like a Toggled Defense buff, or Auto Resist Power).

In any event, keep dreaming the big dreams, @Dungpow!  Your idea is good, but doubtful that Homecoming is the place we'll see it happen.

Aye.  I think that was the punchline of their suggestion, as it was meant a little as a joke.  The idea sprang from the fact that apparently Mercs could deal x2 more damage, and STILL be the lowest in terms of damage output performance.  So the proposed "fix" in that thread was to just let Mercenary Masterminds double-up their Mercs by also getting them as a Pool Set.  With the added benefit of giving -all- characters access to a personal army of soldiers, for thematic reasons.

Not a serious solution, but a fun one to illustrate the purported problem.  And honestly . . . I'm not against it.  Yes, if it happened, then actual Mercenary Masterminds would still not be "fixed," but I do find the proposal of giving everyone "hireable minions" to be very much on-point with the theme and tone of this game.  Bonus points if the Pool Mercs are 100% costume-customizable.