Rude Awakening - Sleep Buff

Alchemystic

image.png.d49cd3b216996fc12922b4ee39dc8f21.png

Even though we've seen changes to the way sleep works, there's still the problem of mobs being prematurely awakened by AoE attacks or stacks of DoT that might already be afflicted on them. Obviously there's not much we could (or should) do to stop players from accidentally breaking sleep during a fight, but what we can do is make it so that waking up from sleep inflicts a secondary effect on foes that means it's still worthwhile.

I think that when a target is prematurely awakened from sleep, they are disoriented for a short duration. This wouldn't be a high magnitude disorient, nor would you be able to slot it, but it would allow sleep powers to be effective even after the initial sleep effect has been removed. This disorient effect represents a transition from targets sleeping to fully gaining consciousness again, since snapping back into the action after an induced coma seems a bit strange. To make it visually distinctive, targets disoriented like this will still have the regular sleep FX over their heads.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

I'm a little divided on this. For me personally, sleep powers find their niche in neutralizing alphas that normally would've killed you or your team. Adding a secondary stun effect to that could disproportionately make some sleep powers really strong while not really helping others, no matter what kind of mag you attach to it. Mobs already don't resist stun all that hard.

My fear would be that something like Mass Hypnosis, an already really strong sleep power, becomes a mob stomper of an opener, because the mobs then have to fight through a stun after they've already been asleep. Then you'd have something like Salt Crystals, which at best, would just ruin a herd because now all the mobs are walking away in a daze.

I do like the direction of the idea, but I think adding a "half-consciousness" debuff of some sort instead would benefit all sleeps as a whole in every situation instead trying to slip in another soft control.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!