An idea for Energy blast

The Volt

I love the different types of energy concept, but it just makes me think we should just have other powersets for blasting other types of energy.  Plasmatic Blast being somewhere between Energy and Fire would be awesome.  I'm picturing the blasts that the huge Banished Pantheon lore pet monster has, but hot and burning.  There are a lot of enemy FX in the game that could be reworked, and I would LOVE to have more energy options.  I don't like the FX animations of Radiation Blast, so I make do with recoloring the other sets to fit concepts when I don't use Energy Blast itself.

I don't like the toggle replacing Power Push.  It's the most reliable way to use the set's secondary effect most ... effectively.  Moving the massive KB to Power Burst wouldn't be helpful, because that's one of the most-used powers in the chain, and it would exacerbate the issue by knocking anyone away that you want to hit with your best damage attack.  As of now, I use KB>KD in my AoEs, but the single target attacks rarely throw anyone very far, if at all.  Power Push is the best tool for capitalizing on tactical knockback, and I think it's most effective because the low damage removes the temptation for the player to spam it with the rest of the attack chain.  Because there's no hold/disorient etc in the set, Power Push is a helpful tool for survival.  

This topic is a great brainstorm and a thoughtful idea, which I appreciate a lot since there is a small but loud contingent of players who seem to want to remove the unique dynamics of non-meta powersets.  The best compromise here IMO is to just make Explosive Blast and Energy Torrent do knockdown instead of knockback right out of the box, and nudge the damage up a bit.  

At the end of the day, the set is too classic and too iconic to give it a very big overhaul - personally I'd rather just see more energy options.  

• Like 1

Had a thought, what about a choice between the Energy shifting ability and Aim? Super Reflexes for Sentinels does this with Master and Practiced Brawler. This would allow for Power Push to remain and power progression to remain the same.

• Like 1