Sonic/Sonic non team friendly Defender ... Suggestions?

Destruye Arepas YV

Guys I have this crazy idea for a rp character that I want to build and instead of going corruptor or controller , I want to play something like this build to have fun in groups, tfs , radio mishes and the occasional trial as an odd guy.

I skipped the team buffs because I SUX ROYALLY at helping others but like the defender better siphon , which is honestly the only power I am taking from the set mostly + sonic dispersion for resists , skkiping even the boringly long liquefy that some people argue for and against.

I know helping others will make killing faster and help tremendously versus AVs ... but again, after trying to keep people buffed in other builds I hate it and I mostly group with randos in radio mishes where everything just dies so fast I just want to do some damage here and there and then when trying to do fun stuff run solo or in small groups but people were telling me for that defenders higher -res in siphon alone is worth it plus it goes with my RP build idea.

Dont plant to farm or go do insanse +4 x8 solo taskforces, not my jam, but just breeze thru mishes and help with GMs, and the occasional AV and just laze around when doing hami from afar.

Suggestions are welcome

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.1.0.10
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Defender
Primary Power Set: Sonic Resonance
Secondary Power Set: Sonic Attack
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Psychic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Sonic Siphon -- Acc-I(A)
Level 1: Shriek -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(11), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(11)
Level 2: Scream -- SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg(5), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7), SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%(9)
Level 4: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(9), WntGif-ResSlow(13)
Level 6: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(21)
Level 8: Howl -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(13), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(23), Ann-ResDeb%(25), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(25), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(27)
Level 10: Shockwave -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(17), FrcFdb-Rechg%(17)
Level 12: Sonic Dispersion -- GldArm-End/Res(A), GldArm-RechRes(40), GldArm-RechEnd(42), GldArm-Res/Rech/End(43), GldArm-ResDam(43), GldArm-3defTpProc(43)
Level 14: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(21), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(23)
Level 16: Grant Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 18: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(19), Rct-Def/EndRdx(19), Rct-ResDam%(29), Ksm-ToHit+(48)
Level 20: Tactics -- EncAcc-ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(A), EncAcc-ToHit(29), EncAcc-ToHit/Rchg(46)
Level 22: Shout -- Slv-Acc/Dmg(A), Slv-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Slv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rng(37)
Level 24: Amplify -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(31), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(31), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(31), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(48), GssSynFr--Build%(48)
Level 26: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 28: Siren's Song -- FrtHyp-Sleep(A), FrtHyp-Sleep/Rchg(33), FrtHyp-Acc/Sleep/Rchg(33), FrtHyp-Acc/Rchg(33), FrtHyp-Sleep/EndRdx(34), CaloftheS-Heal%(34)
Level 30: Infiltration -- WntGif-RunSpd/Jump/Fly/Rng(A), WntGif-RunSpd/Jump/Fly/Rng/EndRdx(27)
Level 32: Tough -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A)
Level 35: Dominate -- HO:Nucle(A), Dcm-Build%(36), Apc-Dam%(36), GldJvl-Dam%(36), UnbCns-Dam%(37), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(37)
Level 38: Dreadful Wail -- SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Dam%(40), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(40)
Level 41: Mind Over Body -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(42), RctArm-ResDam(42), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(46)
Level 44: Mass Hypnosis -- IndCom-Acc/Rchg(A), IndCom-Acc/Sleep/Rchg(46)
Level 47: World of Confusion -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(45), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(45), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(45)
Level 49: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(50), ShlWal-Def(50), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(50)
Level 1: Vigilance
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- HO:Micro(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 50: Portal Jockey
Level 50: Task Force Commander
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion
Level 6: Afterburner
------------

It has capped resists for S/L and Fire/Cold around 40% ... which is more than enough for me ... okish defenses as well around 20% overall and 20% accuracy and 120+ to hit.

I am using it as a blaster lite that debuffs single targets and has some lite control in the form of sleeps with a solid hastenless recharge of +270%

So keeping that in mind , no buffing others, pumping my own damage and keeping ok resists what you guys would change?

Edited by Destruye Arepas YV
small corrections
  • Confused 1

---------------------------------------

From Venezuela with Love!

Small Update: Currently Level 30 on Excel and seems to be holding quite well ...with zero enhancements on the slots to save money as I level.

Still dont know how much damage wise it will be in the long run but build can reach up to 218% extra damage according to mids, not even hitting Amplify or counting Gaussians Proc, which can lead it to 268% and 348% respectively ... dont know if it will be good enough to support solo plays, small mish teams or tfs/trials.

Again, any suggestions on slotting, enhancements etc would be really appreciated as I dont know much about defenders.

Edited by Destruye Arepas YV

I get the concept. I see one glaring omission in your offender teaming build. Your build craves sonic disruption. I know you need a teammate for the anchor, but it's a role-defining ability that cannot be measured in Mids. Trust me, it's not a team buff. Your anchor will soak up so much aggro, and you as well that stealth won't be an option to you when the anchor is in place. The debuff and hence the +damage is HUGE. It would resemble the -resistance in freezing rain that stays as long as the anchor is alive, and it's mobile. And, the -resist is unenhanceable so it only truly needs 2 +end redux IOs.

I gave away which ability I would ditch in favor of sonic disruption. Stealth is adding to your non-defining defense. It does have +defense but it's not role-defining. You would also sacrifice some +recharge. Again, I would suggest this +recharge is not role-defining. You are only enhancing the ability of recharging the nuke, and with 4 LotG +recharge with your other recharge bonuses, the availability of your nuke will still be there.

If you had to have stealth, my second choice to ditch would be hover. The extra(?) slot for +kb-protection could be shifted to a  +kb resist in tough! through the steadfast protection proc. That choice would be hard to choose between ability to ghost or ability to hover snipe. I myself would sacrifice the ghosting ability.

• Thumbs Up 1

I came up with a third option. Ditch stealth, Ditch Grant Inviz. Pick up Sonic Disruption AND superspeed. You can have sonic disruption, stealth-ghosting, AND hover snipe at the cost of 15% recharge off your 270% global recharge. Hmmm, I like this third option, a LOT.

• Thumbs Up 1

i’d definitely recommend looking into a sonic/sonic blaster. a lot more damage and powers like Sound Barrier will help with the survival aspect - as will attacks like Sound Cannon, a cone stun which will help mitigate incoming damage

you’ll get a nice S/L res shield in the mastery too to help boost survival if that’s the priority

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Psylenz0511 said:

I came up with a third option. Ditch stealth, Ditch Grant Inviz. Pick up Sonic Disruption AND superspeed. You can have sonic disruption, stealth-ghosting, AND hover snipe at the cost of 15% recharge off your 270% global recharge. Hmmm, I like this third option, a LOT.

That sounds like an interesting option to choose. Good thing we all get multiple builds as I rarely slot any chars until well past Alpha , thanks for the input! 🙂

1 hour ago, MoonSheep said:

i’d definitely recommend looking into a sonic/sonic blaster. a lot more damage and powers like Sound Barrier will help with the survival aspect - as will attacks like Sound Cannon, a cone stun which will help mitigate incoming damage

you’ll get a nice S/L res shield in the mastery too to help boost survival if that’s the priority

It is also a possibility, but dont know how well can I get resists to a decent level ... will give it a try though! 😎

Right now will bring this "offender" (love that name) to 50+ and see how it handles

Cheers!

• Thumbs Up 1

something to add also is that the sonic shields last for 4 minutes, you may find that being a sonic/sonic support defender isn’t too bad as it’s not very clicky

i main only 2 alts, one is a kin/sonic defender, even with full fulcrum shift i never feel that the damage is too great with sonic blast which is why i suggested considering a blaster. i feel sonic blast on a defender is mostly for the debuff, fire has much more potential to deal meaningful damage. a sentinel might live longer but the damage isn’t as good

not knowing your CoH career, have you played blasters much? if soloing mishes you can KB or mez a few individuals in a group and make it out alive via killing things before they’re able to get back on their feet 

On 1/5/2022 at 10:15 AM, MoonSheep said:

something to add also is that the sonic shields last for 4 minutes, you may find that being a sonic/sonic support defender isn’t too bad as it’s not very clicky

i main only 2 alts, one is a kin/sonic defender, even with full fulcrum shift i never feel that the damage is too great with sonic blast which is why i suggested considering a blaster. i feel sonic blast on a defender is mostly for the debuff, fire has much more potential to deal meaningful damage. a sentinel might live longer but the damage isn’t as good

not knowing your CoH career, have you played blasters much? if soloing mishes you can KB or mez a few individuals in a group and make it out alive via killing things before they’re able to get back on their feet 

The OP did say he likes to RP an odd character on Radio missions; therefore the additional -res for the TEAM from his attacks makes the TEAM do more damage.

• Thumbs Down 1

On 1/8/2022 at 10:45 AM, Psylenz0511 said:

The OP did say he likes to RP an odd character on Radio missions; therefore the additional -res for the TEAM from his attacks makes the TEAM do more damage.

Back on live when sonic/sonic was still new, I'd advertise that I make tank mages out of the team. Not too far from the truth either. With the approximately 50% of resistance you can add to a team and all the -res it really snowballs on a team.

NOTE FOR FUN. On paper the char looks like it will have trouble with endurance, but that's not true. The resistance package leaves everyone on the team taking small amounts of damage and that triggers the defender inherent. It allows for you to blast to your hearts content without seeing your end bar drop dramatically.