Nvidia and Antialiasing

Bill Z Bubba

One thing I do miss about running ATI cards was that antialiasing actually FUNCTIONED!!!

I'm currently on an Nvidia stock 1080 and it doesn't seem to matter whether I use in-game AA or NCP AA, it always looks like crap. Sometimes, less than others, almost as if it fades in an out or drops to lower settings on its own whim.

Does anyone else noticed this on the regular or have any tips on maximizing AA for CoH with Nvidia cards?

I know, I know, I used to be the ATI guru, I should be able to figure this out on my own, but I'd rather not recreate work if someone else already has a good line on it.

Thanks much.

Ok, this helped. Cranked to 32x in game, but in NCP, set for application controlled but cranked up AA-transparency to 8x, DSR to 1.5 on factors and 50% on smoothness, enabled MFAA. Hopefully it'll stick.

Edit: Would still like to know what everyone else is using to optimize eye candy.

Edit2: Bah, something is now causing a framerate dip when the particles start flying in heavy combat. Already disabled DSR, so that ain't it. But AA still looks good so I'm leaving that off.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba

I've always preferred Nvidia to ATI personally, probably for no concrete reason though lol

I've always used this guide with all my Nvidia graphics cards and the suggestions he gives seem to work out well. It may be old but it still holds up, he wrote this up shortly after ultramode was added and revised it a few times. It's on gamefaqs cause that was the only place i could find a good link to it.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/536558-city-of-heroes/42905556

Got all kinda wonkiness so sad fark it.

Set default values at Ultra in game.

Set default values for driver but turned on vsync.

Cranked up two instances.

First one was my claws/fire brute. That instance sits at 110 FPS.

Second was my new inv/nrg tank. That instance sits at 144 FPS.

I can alt-tab between the two and FPS always settles back to the above.

How does one character cause a 35 FPS drop when all toggles are turned off?

2 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Got all kinda wonkiness so sad fark it.

Set default values at Ultra in game.

Set default values for driver but turned on vsync.

Cranked up two instances.

First one was my claws/fire brute. That instance sits at 110 FPS.

Second was my new inv/nrg tank. That instance sits at 144 FPS.

I can alt-tab between the two and FPS always settles back to the above.

How does one character cause a 35 FPS drop when all toggles are turned off?

I imagine it's from particle effect count. 

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Just now, Bill Z Bubba said:

It... appears to have something to do with the clockwork see-through torso and the teleporter beam in the middle of AE.

Frelling bizarre.

I once managed to open 12 instances of the game, log in and test out any issues on my old server. GPU was fine, CPU was working hard - but it was the memory that really takes most of the work. Of course I was running them through a virtual machine, but the physical system that was running that was right next to me lol

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png