Need a Nature Affinity Defender!

WyntirVale

Hi, I am a relatively new player. I wanted to play with Nature Affinity on Defender for meaty buffs and plants. I wasn't quite able to think of a good secondary, I heard sonic attack was good and -res was useful. I got the idea to make a Mandragora. I'm sure the concept has been done but it's at least entertaining enough to justify the powerset plus I get to be a funny plant. I'd not object to other secondaries however.

I am inexperienced and looking for a build. Ideally one that maximizes my team support and will have me welcome and even appreciated on missions. I'm not too worried about being able to solo, I'm sure I can find willing help if I look. So basically, full support build if anyone can help. Thanks ahead of time!

Edited by WyntirVale

• WyntirVale changed the title to Need a Nature Affinity Defender!

NA/ is a great primary overall and matches with a lot of primaries. The biggest advice for playing one is to make sure you have Break Frees at all times so you can break free from the mezes that are a part of life for most defenders. 

As to what to match with it really kind of depends on your playstyle. I've always found the best thing to do is to look at the secondary effects of the blast set and see what matches well with what your primary is doing. 

for instance, I have a NA/Dual Pistol that provides loads of protection through -Damage for your team as well as your self. That combo can do a lot toward making your character a debuff engine as well as a buffer.  

One that might work out pretty ok would be taking /elec as the secondary. There is a proc you can get for end draining powers (all of elec) that can place a mag 2 stun on baddies. I don't know if it would work real well, but you could conceivably jump in with hold pbaoe  and fire off your aoe elec powers to stun and then drain their endurance to your hearts content. 

In theory, they would be stunned or held long enough for you to drain the rest of their endurance. The hold would keep working to stop many of them from running away while your team blew them up. 

My NA defender is /water, and I think she's a great boon to teams between her buffs and water's solid (for a blast set) soft control in the form of knockdown and slows (and its -def allows for some procability). She's not a defender that lets you neuter AVs, but she's definitely a great and fun team support character. And for me, water blast is just the most fun blast set. Looks great, feels great and powerful, does good damage, etc.

I love my Nature/Ice! I have colored Ice blasts to look like dirt or spores, so the theme works pretty well too.

Below is the build. I haven't revisited it in a while, so likely some further optimizations possible. Most prominently, it doesn't include the new Ice Mistral slow damage proc. This would be ideal to drop into blasts where possible.

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.1.2.5
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

terra: Level 50 Science Defender
Primary Power Set: Nature Affinity
Secondary Power Set: Ice Blast
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Psychic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Corrosive Enzymes -- Acc-I(A)
Level 1: Ice Bolt -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), GldJvl-Dam%(5), ImpSwf-Dam%(5)
Level 2: Regrowth -- HO:Golgi(A), HO:Golgi(48)
Level 4: Frost Breath -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(9), Artl-Dam/Rech(11), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(11), Artl-Acc/Rech/Rng(43), Artl-End/Rech/Rng(46)
Level 6: Wild Growth -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(7), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9)
Level 8: Lifegiving Spores -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal(31), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(31), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(33), Prv-Heal/Rchg(33), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(34)
Level 10: Spore Cloud -- HO:Enzym(A)
Level 12: Wild Bastion -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(13), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(13), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(37), NmnCnv-Heal(37), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(43)
Level 14: Aim -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(15), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(15), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(36), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(36), GssSynFr--ToHit(36)
Level 16: Freeze Ray -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(17), GldJvl-Dam%(17), NrnSht-Dam%(19), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(40), UnbCns-Dam%(43)
Level 18: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Krm-ResKB(19)
Level 20: Ice Storm -- SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg(21), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(25), SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%(25)
Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(23)
Level 24: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Entangling Aura -- Lck-%Hold(A), Lck-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(27), Lck-Acc/Hold(27), Lck-Acc/Rchg(37), Lck-Rchg/Hold(40), Lck-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(40)
Level 28: Bitter Ice Blast -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(29), GldJvl-Dam%(31), CldSns-%Dam(34), Apc-Dam%(34)
Level 30: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A)
Level 32: Overgrowth -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 35: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(42), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(42), ShlWal-Def(42)
Level 38: Blizzard -- SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), HO:Nucle(39)
Level 41: Mass Hypnosis -- FrtHyp-Sleep/EndRdx(A), FrtHyp-Sleep(45), FrtHyp-Sleep/Rchg(45), FrtHyp-Acc/Sleep/Rchg(45), FrtHyp-Acc/Rchg(46)
Level 44: Mind Over Body -- HO:Ribo(A), HO:Ribo(46)
Level 47: World of Confusion -- CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(A), CrcPrs-Conf(48), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(48), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(50), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(50), CrcPrs-Conf%(50)
Level 49: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Vigilance 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 50: Intuition Radial Paragon 
------------

Edited by Onlyasandwich