Positron's vs Javelin vs Ragnarok

KattyD

Hi, I'm currently trying to find happiness on my configuration for my Targeted AoE attack, running six slots on this particular power (and my only targeted AoE). Currently I have Positron's slotted. I'm trying to decide if I want to Catalyst them, switch to Ragnarok, or go with Javelin. Inf isn't really a concern in this instance, it's more about setting the goal.

My problem with Ragnarok is it's knockdown Proc (I'd prefer a chance for extra damage, the power already has knockdown), otherwise its set bonus is identical to Posi's, but slightly better.  But it's also a purple set so that bonus becomes something that won't go away. Javelin's Volley has that same perk as a PvP set, but an entirely different bonus with a damage proc. I don't PvP much, though the PVP sets are always lit, is a change in Homecoming that both sets are always active? That would change everything.

Anyhow, I appreciate any thoughts on this? Oh, details - almost all set bonuses are useful and I don't have anything stacked to 5x at the moment.

Always bear in mind that you can slot an ATO set or the Winter O Frozen Blast set, so long as money is no object those are options too.

Catalyzing your Positron's Blast will only turn them into attuned versions.  Attuned IOs are useful if you're not level 50 yet since they level up with you, and they're nice if you plan to exemplar some of the time as they exempt down with you (purple and pvp IOs will do the same sort of thing).  However rather than catalyzing your slotted set, you could just buy attuned versions of them and swap them out with unslotters.  Much cheaper.

Also if you're level 50 you might want to boost your level 50 IOs to 50+5 for some extra oomph.  You can't do that with attuned IOs.  Just another consideration.

Thanks for the reply Shinobu, I realize I should add a bit more context

I do some exemplaring which is why the purple and pvp sets are getting a bit of a boost in consideration since I could +5 them and still have the set bonus scale.

I have both ATO sets as well as the Theatre set slotted in other powers. Frozen Blast set has the same issue as Ragnarok for me, in that I'd prefer a chance for bonus damage on this set as opposed to an added status effect.

And I am currently level 50.  :)

ragnarok is really just an upgraded version of posi's blast, so you can just upgrade to that if money truly is no object. Javelin is not that great unless you either want to pvp or really need the energy defense.

My problem with Ragnarok is it's knockdown Proc (I'd prefer a chance for extra damage, the power already has knockdown), otherwise its set bonus is identical to Posi's, but slightly better.  But it's also a purple set so that bonus becomes something that won't go away. Javelin's Volley has that same perk as a PvP set, but an entirely different bonus with a damage proc. I don't PvP much, though the PVP sets are always lit, is a change in Homecoming that both sets are always active? That would change everything.

Ragnarok is Superior Damage and does far more than the other two, you won't miss the damage proc.

I'm on mobile so can't check pines but iirc purples get you into the yellow (maybe even red, I don't remember) for ED on damage even without the pure damage one. I always slot ar/dr/de/adr/proc on damage purples. If you're +5ing too you'll definitely hit red ed numbers.