Grav/Dark Build + Questions

lightpunch

After some time with other ATs, I'm feeling an itch to play my home AT again. I have a concept for a magic/spellcasting character in mind, and Grav/Dark (+ leviathan purely for water spout) fits perfectly and seems like a powerful combo. But! I've never gotten Grav to a high level, so I'm unfamiliar with strategies concerning wormhole and singularity, and just in general how it feels to play them.

Couple thoughts:

• Current battle plan: wormhole-->tar patch-->crushing field-->tp'ing enflamed Sing into mob-->water spout-->kill. I know this setup will be fun, but is it too rigid? Does this build have enough flexibility to still be powerful outside of this sequence?
  • What powers are worth proccing in this build? Specifically, should I proc out crushing field and water spout, or nah?
  • I've always wanted to use water spout, and never had a good reason to before this build, where it works for theme, dmg, and extra cc from fear and kd. Is it just not worth the tradeoff of a +def armor though, like scorp or ice have?
  • I'd love to get more +rech and +def into my IO sets, so any tips on achieving that would be appreciated.
  • Bonus concern! Should I reconsider this concept as Ill/Dark? I don't currently have an Illusion controller, and do have a mid-level Grav/TA that I think will be powerful, has a great build/look/concept, etc. But I'm really seduced by how I can use Grav powers to seem like magic, and I've heard enflame + tp'ing Sing is a really fun way to play. I know how powerful and sturdy Ill/Dark is, but I worry I'll miss the cc element of being a controller too much. I also don't wanna shelve my Grav/TA, so I'm hoping her all-ranged leadership-heavy playstyle will differ from Grav/Dark's battlefield manipulation style.

Below is my first crack at the build. Any comments or critiques are appreciated!

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.1.2.5
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Gravity Control
Secondary Power Set: Darkness Affinity
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Sorcery
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Teleportation
Ancillary Pool: Leviathan Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Lift -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(43), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 1: Twilight Grasp -- ThfofEss-Heal(A), ThfofEss-Heal/Rchg(48), ThfofEss-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(48), ThfofEss-Acc/EndRdx/Heal(48), ThfofEss-+End%(50)
Level 2: Gravity Distortion -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(3), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 4: Tar Patch -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 6: Propel -- SuddAcc-KB/Rech(A), SuddAcc-KB/Dmg/Rech(7), SuddAcc-KB/Dmg/End(7), SuddAcc-KB/Acc/Dmg(37), SuddAcc-KB/Acc(37), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(40)
Level 8: Crushing Field -- SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprOvrPrs-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(9), SprOvrPrs-EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(15), SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprOvrPrs-Rchg/Energy Font(37)
Level 10: Howling Twilight -- AbsAmz-Stun(A), AbsAmz-Stun/Rchg(11), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(11), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(13), AbsAmz-ToHitDeb%(33)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(13)
Level 14: Mystic Flight -- HO:Micro(A)
Level 16: Shadow Fall -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(17), LucoftheG-Def(17), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(19), GldArm-3defTpProc(36), EndRdx-I(50)
Level 18: Arcane Bolt -- Dcm-Build%(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg(19), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(36)
Level 20: Fade -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(21), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(21), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(23)
Level 22: Darkest Night -- HO:Enzym(A), HO:Enzym(23), HO:Enzym(31)
Level 24: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(25), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(25)
Level 26: Wormhole -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(27), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(27), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(29), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(31)
Level 28: Soul Absorption -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(31)
Level 30: Rune of Protection -- StdPrt-ResKB(A)
Level 32: Singularity -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(34), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(34), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(36)
Level 35: Enflame -- Dmg-I(A), Dmg-I(42), Ann-ResDeb%(50)
Level 38: Dark Servant -- CldSns-ToHitDeb(A), CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(39), CldSns-Acc/Rchg(39), CldSns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(39), CldSns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(40), CldSns-%Dam(40)
Level 41: Water Spout -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech(42), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(45), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(45), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(45), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(46)
Level 44: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 47: Teleport Target -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 1: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 18: Arcane Power 
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Void Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Spectral Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Vanguard Core Superior Ally 
Level 50: Incandescence Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Control Core Embodiment 
------------

Edited by lightpunch

• Your battle plan looks good. Creating a dangerous place for the next mob, putting that mob in the dangerous place, and putting Singularity in with them creates a blender of death. When different powers are available, you may want to change it up, but you have the basic idea.
  • I rarely proc out powers because I usually am chasing set bonuses, but check out this thread
  • Water spout with Knockback to Knockdown should be fine, especially if it's what you want to do!
  • If you want +recharge, you'll have to slot for it. In case you haven't take a look here and here for inspiration. As an example, on my Grav/Dark/Psi, I have Apocalypse in Lift, Preventive Medicine in Twilight Grasp, Superior Will of the Controller in Gravity Distortion, Gravitational Anchor in Crushing Field and more. I'm at work so I can't post a Mids build.
  • On Homecoming you get 1000 character slots per shard. Build and play all of the controllers you can dream up!

• Thumbs Up 1

For your battle plan, you will want an Overwhelming Force KB/KD in Wormhole as Crushing Field does not eliminate knock back. Also, Singularity’s repel WILL send a singular foe flying away at a time, so practice with wall/instance placement. 

It looks like you’re missing the Steadfast Protection defense unique. You can a lot that in Rune of Protection, moving the KB to either Arcane Flight (for earlier protection when exemping) or TP Target. 

This is a combination which benefits from lots of recharge. Getting Fade and Soul Absorption close to perms is an achievable goal, as well as reducing the cooldown of Wormhole. Your strategy is good (although cast Tar Patch first, then Wormhole. Also, can drop the group right on Singy, no need to TP it afterwards), but it requires you to have Wormhole up quickly.

I too am not at my computer, otherwise I’d post a build. Grav/Dark/Stone. 

• Like 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

• If you want +recharge, you'll have to slot for it. In case you haven't take a look here and here for inspiration. As an example, on my Grav/Dark/Psi, I have Apocalypse in Lift, Preventive Medicine in Twilight Grasp, Superior Will of the Controller in Gravity Distortion, Gravitational Anchor in Crushing Field and more. I'm at work so I can't post a Mids build.

Thanks, I'll look at those sets in those powers. And thanks for your affirming feedback!

For your battle plan, you will want an Overwhelming Force KB/KD in Wormhole as Crushing Field does not eliminate knock back. Also, Singularity’s repel WILL send a singular foe flying away at a time, so practice with wall/instance placement. 

Completely forgot about Wormhole's KB, so thanks, will look at correcting for that. Regarding Sing's repel, does having a KB to KD proc in Sing not prevent that?

It looks like you’re missing the Steadfast Protection defense unique. You can a lot that in Rune of Protection, moving the KB to either Arcane Flight (for earlier protection when exemping) or TP Target. 

Totally meant to have the Steadfast Protection unique in Rune, not the KB unique. Thanks for flagging it.

Thanks y'all for the feedback, I'll post a revised build sometime tonight.

Here's the build again with some adjustments.

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.1.2.5
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Gravity Control
Secondary Power Set: Darkness Affinity
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Sorcery
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Teleportation
Ancillary Pool: Leviathan Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Lift -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(43), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Apc-Acc/Rchg(43), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(46)
Level 1: Twilight Grasp -- ThfofEss-Heal(A), ThfofEss-+End%(46), ThfofEss-Heal/Rchg(48), ThfofEss-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(48), ThfofEss-Acc/EndRdx/Heal(48)
Level 2: Gravity Distortion -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(3), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 4: Tar Patch -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 6: Propel -- SuddAcc-KB/Rech(A), SuddAcc-KB/Dmg/Rech(7), SuddAcc-KB/Dmg/End(7), SuddAcc-KB/Acc/Dmg(37), SuddAcc-KB/Acc(37), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(40)
Level 8: Crushing Field -- SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprOvrPrs-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(9), SprOvrPrs-EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(15), SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprOvrPrs-Rchg/Energy Font(37)
Level 10: Howling Twilight -- AbsAmz-Stun(A), AbsAmz-Stun/Rchg(11), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(11), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(13), AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun(17)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(13)
Level 14: Mystic Flight -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 16: Shadow Fall -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(17), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(19), GldArm-3defTpProc(36), HO:Cyto(50)
Level 18: Arcane Bolt -- Dcm-Build%(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg(19), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(36)
Level 20: Fade -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(21), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(21), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(23), RechRdx-I(40)
Level 22: Darkest Night -- HO:Enzym(A), HO:Enzym(23)
Level 24: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(25), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(25)
Level 26: Wormhole -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(27), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(27), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(29), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(31)
Level 28: Soul Absorption -- SynSck-EndMod(A), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(31), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(31), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(33), SynSck-Dam/Rech(50)
Level 30: Rune of Protection -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A)
Level 32: Singularity -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(34), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(34), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(36)
Level 35: Enflame -- Dmg-I(A), Dmg-I(42)
Level 38: Dark Servant -- CldSns-ToHitDeb(A), CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(39), CldSns-Acc/Rchg(39), CldSns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(39), CldSns-%Dam(40), CldSns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 41: Water Spout -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech(42), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(45), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(45), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(45), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(46)
Level 44: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 47: Teleport Target -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 1: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 18: Arcane Power 
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Void Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Spectral Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Vanguard Core Superior Ally 
Level 50: Control Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Ageless Radial Epiphany 
------------

• 4 weeks later

I have a Grav/Dark - one of my favorites. I love Wormhole onto a tar patch and then dropping Soul Absorption to soak up all of that Endurance. Plus Fade does a great job of boosting your survivability.