Fly Like Superman! Black Spectre's Fly Bind!

BlackSpectre

Hello everyone!

Here is my ultimate Fly bind. It retains my favorite feature, jumping into the air to fly (like Superman) but is designed to be more or less universal. The bind will work for Fly, Hover, Mystic Flight, Afterburner, and Evasive Maneuvers. It uses 4 keys on the keyboard (technically but really only 2) and 10 text files! You may, of course, change the keys, but here are the keys I use:

G - Fly

SHIFT+G - Hover

CTRL+G - Reset Fly Bind

SHIFT+E - Evasive Maneuvers & Afterburner

The bind in total does several things...

• Jumps into the air to fly (press and hold G and you'll shoot straight up into the air. Useful as an escape tactic)
  • Turns off most sprinting powers to save on end drain (sprint, ninja run, beast run, athletic run)
  • Turns on/off Hover
  • Turns on Sprint when you land
  • Turns on/off both Evasive Maneuvers and Afterburner at the same time while striking a power flight pose

The beauty of this bind is that it makes everything so easy, and you never have to think about turning your sprinting powers off when flying or hovering. Press G once to turn Fly on. Press it again to turn Fly off. Press SHIFT+G once to turn Hover on. Press it again to turn it off. You can Hover while already flying, and you can go back to flying (without falling) just by pressing G. I chose SHIFT+E to turn Evasive Maneuvers and Afterburner on because it allows me to do so with one hand while I am flying and pressing the W key.

I debated with myself on whether or not to automatically turn off Evasive Maneuvers when I land, but (at least right now) we still get its defense bonus while on the ground. So I kept it on. Of course, you can still press SHIFT+E to turn it off... and we can always add it later if needed.  Also, once in a while the bind sequence gets mixed up in the game. All you need to do to fix this is to press CTRL+G to reset the binds.

If you like the keyboard keys I chose for the flight binds, then you won't have to change a thing. Otherwise, you can change the keys by editing the text files below. You may need to change the path (where you store your bind text files), but if the path is too long the binds might go over the 255 character limit and refuse to work (or mess up). All of my binds are in a folder named "binds" within the game's default or home folder. If you need help finding your default folder, you can type into chat

/bindloadfile / 

in game and it will show you your file path in the global chat window. My default folder is z:/Applications/coh/settings/live/ and then I added the "binds" folder, so now my file path for binds is z:/Applications/coh/settings/live/binds/. The default folder allows you to cut out the middle man and use a shortcut to get directly to the default folder. So for all of my binds I just use "/binds/" as my file path. It saves a lot of space in the binds.

Step 1 is to create all the text files... BUT I've actually included all the text files in the zipped file below so you don't have to do a thing! Just place those files in your binds folder. If you'd like to edit the text files, make sure you're using a plain text file app like Notepad (on Windows) or BBEdit (on Mac)**. If your binds folder is in the same place as mine, everything should work out fine. Make sure you keep the file names the same too.

Step 2 is to load in the FlyG1.txt bind into the game. Type into chat:

/BindLoadFile /binds/FlyG1.txt

and you're done!

The flight bind will automatically assign all the other binds to your keyboard's keys after you've used the fly bind once (turn fly on, then turn fly off). Let me know if you like the bind. Personally, it's one of my favorites! 

Here are the text file names and what's in them:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vmY7TwGX4C6EESHwimv9l-QvOzzpM6xD/view?usp=sharing

FlyG1.txt

G "+$$up 1$$powexectoggleoff Hover$$powexectoggleoff ninja run$$powexectoggleon mystic flight$$powexectoggleon fly$$bindloadfilesilent /binds/flyg2.txt"

FlyG2.txt

G "+$$up 0$$powexectoggleoff beast run$$powexectoggleoff athletic run$$powexectoggleoff hover$$bindloadfilesilent /binds/flyg3.txt$$bindloadfileSilent /binds/FlySpeed1.txt"

FlyG3.txt

G "+$$autorun 0$$powexectoggleoff fly$$powexectoggleoff mystic flight$$powexectoggleoff hover$$powexectoggleon sprint$$bindloadfilesilent /binds/flyg4.txt"
CTRL+G "tell $name, Flight binds reset.$$bindloadfile /binds/flyg1.txt"

FlyG4.txt

G "+$$bindloadfilesilent /binds/flyg1.txt$$bindloadfilesilent /binds/hover1.txt"

FlySpeed1.txt

SHIFT+E "+$$e flypose2$$powexectoggleon fly_boost$$bindloadfileSilent /binds/FlySpeed2.txt"

FlySpeed2.txt

SHIFT+E "+$$powexecunqueue$$powexectoggleon evasive maneuvers$$bindloadfileSilent /binds/FlySpeed3.txt"

FlySpeed3.txt

SHIFT+E "+$$powexectoggleoff fly_boost$$powexectoggleoff evasive maneuvers$$bindloadfileSilent /binds/FlySpeed4.txt"

FlySpeed4.txt

SHIFT+E "+$$bindloadfileSilent /binds/FlySpeed1.txt"

Hover1.txt

SHIFT+G "powexectoggleoff fly$$powexectoggleoff sprint$$powexectoggleoff ninja run$$powexectoggleoff beast run$$powexectoggleoff athletic run$$Powexectoggleon hover$$bindloadfilesilent /binds/hover2.txt$$bindloadfilesilent /binds/flyg1.txt"

Hover2.txt

SHIFT+G "powexectoggleoff hover$$powexectoggleon sprint$$bindloadfilesilent /binds/hover1.txt"

** The stock TextEdit app on Macs natively save in the RTF document format, not the TXT format. However, if you open an already made TXT file with TextEdit, TextEdit will save it in the TXT format. When making new text binds, a tip is to click on File--> Duplicate to get a new text file, edit it, and then save it as a different file name. Alternately, you can change the preferences in TextEdit and select Plain Text.

UPDATE 2/19 - Oops. Fixed a small omission in FlyG2.txt that prevented the Evasive Maneuvers/Afterburner bind from activating a power pose on first use.  Also updated the Evasive Maneuvers/Afterburner bind to use Afterburner's internal name "fly_boost" rather than its display name "Afterburner" in order to prevent problems when the popup travel tray is enabled or disabled. Lastly, I've posted a new link to the updated text files.

FlyBind.zip

Edited by BlackSpectre
  • Like 6

The bug you refer to was actually intentional.  The internal name for evasive maneuvers was left as afterburner when evasive maneuvers took that power pick slot.  The internal name for afterburner is flyboost now.  If you use flyboost instead of afterburner then your binds should be compatible without having to disable the popup tray or put afterburner on your bar. 

• Like 2