Dark Miasma/Water Blast: Defender or Corruptor?

StriderIV

Hi Heroes (and Villains :P)!

I'm creating a concept character, someone who can control darkness/shadows. I know standard would be Dark/Dark, but I've really fallen in love with Water Blasts animations. Plus, when you recolor it to black/darker colors, it really looks like you are bending shadows!

Anyways, Dark Miasma seems like an extremely solid set overall and pretty much anything will pair well with it. My question is: would you recommend this combo on a Defender or Corruptor?

My thoughts so far:

Defender: The debuffs on Dark Miasma will be stronger on them due to the higher defender modifiers. Also, Water Blast seems pretty proc friendly (correct me if I'm wrong), so that could help make up the damage differential between the 2 sets.

Corruptor: Historically, I've felt/heard that "Rain" sets tend to perform better on Corruptors due to how they interact with Scourge. I could see Tar Patch + Whirlpool having awesome synergy on a Corruptor when pair with Scourge.

Overall though, I'd love to hear the thoughts from the community on what archetype they feel the combo of Water Blast/Dark Miasma would shine better on!

This one seems like a bit of a tossup to me.

Water blast procs fairly well as you say, so point to defenders.

However, dark provides excessive tohit debuffs, so defends well even on a corruptor. Many of the powers outside of tar patch will be more or less the same in normal play.

Honestly I'd probably lean corruptor a bit on this one. You get an extra purple damage proc from one of the ATOs, which is actually pretty impactful. Since dark has a heal, you also care a bit less about the healing power of the defender ATO.

Sort of a gamey advantage I guess, but there you have it.

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Onlyasandwich said:

This one seems like a bit of a tossup to me.

Water blast procs fairly well as you say, so point to defenders.

However, dark provides excessive tohit debuffs, so defends well even on a corruptor. Many of the powers outside of tar patch will be more or less the same in normal play.

Honestly I'd probably lean corruptor a bit on this one. You get an extra purple damage proc from one of the ATOs, which is actually pretty impactful. Since dark has a heal, you also care a bit less about the healing power of the defender ATO.

Sort of a gamey advantage I guess, but there you have it.

I didn’t even take the ATO’s into consideration. Huge call out, thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Corruptor.  Dark Miasma on a Defender is overkill.  And then you get Scourge.  Scourge is life.  Scourge is love.

True. Tar Pit+ Whirlpool seems like it could be a lot of fun. With both heals, I feel like this could be a very sturdy Corruptor combo.