Proc’d Mesmerize? AV Attack Chain Kludging

Panache

I’ve got this Mind/Earth/Fire that I really like who’s getting close to being “done” (I think). Mids doesn’t work for me so I don’t have a build to post, this is more theorizing.

Since I’m still missing a couple Purple sets, my attack chain is a little wonky. I’ve been warming up against level 50 AVs, and a sleeper (heh) hit for me has been tossing a few Mesmerizes while the PToD are up. I started doing it just to fill my attack chain, but it’s been huge for interrupting the AV’s attacks, letting Barrier come back up. Yes this slows me down because of the Regen, but I’ve got enough ST damage (backed by Hybrid and Reactive) that I’ve been able to down Infernal, Battle Maiden, Bobcat and Neuron without Insps, Temps or Lore Pets (I’ll see you in Ouro after my build is done, Nightstar).

Anyway: I’m wondering if keeping Mesmerize in the attack chain isn’t a bad idea. I was thinking of slotting the Sleep and Ranged Damage Heal%, Apoc and Gladiator’s Javelin. Spamming that during PToD (hopefully just for now) is the idea.

is this dumb? Will this all be obviated once I fight Big Boy 54 AVs?

Edited by Panache

The internal recharge on ST control powers for control characters makes slotting procs suboptimal.  On my Mind doms I'll always take Mesmerize seeing how that sleep is very useful.  I slot mine for damage with either a 50+5 Apoc dmg IO or on other builds I'll skip taking Dominate and just make more use of Mesmerize which I'll 5 slot a set of Decimation.  

Procing powers is better suited to your assault powers since their recharge is prime for them and your aoe controls like Total Domination and Mass Confusion.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Procced mesmerize isn't actually bad at all.

You can give it some efficient baseline slotting by parting out purples/Winter set and/or HOs, then fill to taste with procs. 

For example:

• Winter acc/dam acc/dam/end
  • Apoc Dam/End
  • Apoc Proc, Sandman heal proc
  • Glad javelin proc.

Gets you ~200 damage on average with a nice chance to proc heal incorporated into your ST chain. Not terrible.

Dominate gives you stronger procability of course, with more options. You can get ~300 damage out of procced dominate with a similar slotting strategy.

Mesmerize as above will be roughly similar damage to a fully procced out Stone Spears, though stone spears will be solidly better DPA. Stone spears of course won't have the sleep or heal, and is different damage type. 

Hurl boulder and your melee attacks will show superior performance, of course, but there's no reason why you can't use them in addition to procced Mesmerize and Dominate. Just match for whatever best fills your attack chain, and how much you want to mix it in with melee.

All this is balanced against what set bonuses you would be giving up by doing so, of course. There is room for several approaches!

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Like 1

@Onlyasandwich

The issue I've run into with the big-time procced out Dominate is that I can't hold AVs for very long. I've tried both a 4 piece of Basilisks + Apoc & Unbreakable %Dams, and the straight 1 Acc/End & 5 Dam procs. The latter is of course a lot more damage, but I'm not sure it's worth the trade off of losing control over the AV.

@Mezmera 

I was having the same thought about Dominate; "do I even need this?" But as I've squared off against more and more of the AVs, the Domination/Power Up/Dominate/Seismic Smash combo keeps escalating in necessity. The reason I was considering the heals in Mesmerize is because there always seems to be some point when an AV breaks free; maybe the RNG hated you at key moments in your Power Up cycle, who knows. They usually get a hit in before I can react and sleep them, and that hit usually hurts a LOT. I figured spamming a Time Out button with a double-procced heal would be a good way to mitigate that.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Panache said:

I was having the same thought about Dominate; "do I even need this?" But as I've squared off against more and more of the AVs, the Domination/Power Up/Dominate/Seismic Smash combo keeps escalating in necessity. The reason I was considering the heals in Mesmerize is because there always seems to be some point when an AV breaks free; maybe the RNG hated you at key moments in your Power Up cycle, who knows. They usually get a hit in before I can react and sleep them, and that hit usually hurts a LOT. I figured spamming a Time Out button with a double-procced heal would be a good way to mitigate that.

I have Confuse as my ST control fallback when I need that along with Mesmerize slotted for the damage plus the sleep.  With Powerboost and Domination up you're getting nice secondary control values out of some of your assault powers, like my Total Focus is a very nice control on its own that helps stack the mez all while keeping the pressure on with strong attacks.  

A power here and there you can get creative with sure but the margin to do so is much smaller on a dom seeing how they have so much to build for and slotting placement is really key.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/22/2022 at 6:13 PM, Mezmera said:

The internal recharge on ST control powers for control characters makes slotting procs suboptimal.  On my Mind doms I'll always take Mesmerize seeing how that sleep is very useful.  I slot mine for damage with either a 50+5 Apoc dmg IO or on other builds I'll skip taking Dominate and just make more use of Mesmerize which I'll 5 slot a set of Decimation.   

i agree - mesmerize is a useful psi damage power which is useful for cim EBs, paragon protectors etc

Just as an update: I had some good success against three of the tankier AVs (again, they’re level 50s) in Dominatrix, Marauder and Nightstar (the rematch!). I was able to perma hold and solo all of them (T3 Assault and Degenerative) without temps/insps/pets. Again, no Mids, so it’s been a lot of trial and error. 

I’ve got myself to a chain of Dominate-Seismic-Heavy Mallet-Dominate-Hurl Boulder-repeat. Dominate is 4 Basilisks/Glad %Dam/Ghost Widow %Dam, Seismic is 5 Heca/Unbreakable %Dam, Heavy Mallet and Hurl Boulder both frankenslotted for max dam + 3 Dam Procs in each. 

223 DPS vs a Pylon. There are definitely better chains to be built, but probably at the loss of the perma hold. 

Edited by Panache
  • Like 1