Some interesting statistics

Rust

Not sure how many consecutive players can be on the servers at a given time, but seeing as both servers have significant queues (Around 3000+ combined), I figured I'd look into how that compares to other Super Hero MMOs.

According to Steam Charts, Champions Online is averaging close to 300 players a month getting into the game via Steam. DC Universe Online is fairing a bit better, averaging close to 900 players a month.

There are 3000 people lined up, waiting patiently to play a shuttered 6+ year old game.

I definitely hope certain parties are paying attention to those numbers.

I mean, there comes a point when diminishing returns happen - when the game isn't netting enough profit to justify keeping it functional. And back in 2012, the idea of legacy servers keeping a game afloat also wasn't really a thing.

But then you look at Champions, and you honestly wonder what Perfect World's revenue stream for loot boxes and a handful of cheap costume pieces looks like to justify keeping the mummified corpse alive.

Jim Sterling talks at length on this subject.  I recommend his Youtube series.

The short of it, though is thus:  When investors get involved in a publicly traded corporation, "profit" is not the word of the day.  "Growth" is. 

In other words:  They don't want the game to net a profit.  They want the game to earn more each fiscal interval than it did previously.  They'll tout all manner of "reasons" for why this "has to be the case."  Except, in practice, all it does is make the rich richer, and . . . well, you know the rest, I'm sure.