Defiant Barrage ATO +Status procs and DoT powers.

csr

They will only have a chance to proc on the initial cast.

Also as a side note, if you put it in an AoE you will only ever get one proc of it no matter how many targets you hit.

I thought the first would be the case, but the second is a surprise.  So... it stays in Blaze and is quite underwhelming.

Yeah. I put it in Full Auto hoping to get a full set of three stacks from a single attack but no such luck. At the end of the day I decided that the proc was so underwhelming that it was best to slot the set based purely on the set bonuses and ignore the proc so the set went in one of my AoEs since I'd rather have a Thunderstrike in my single targets.

Defender Smash!

Defiant Barrages proc on a basic ability (one of your first two power picks) is PHENOMINAL. If you can get the proc to go off while you are CC'ed you break out of it! I've fallen in love with this set because of that proc

I tried that but overall I was underwhelmed but it. In theory it's good but the problem is that you need to get two stacks for most mezzes and in my experience the mez tended to expire before I got that second stack.

I didn't try it, as the math on it in Flares told me that just what you describe would be the case.  Even with the Superior proc.

They will only have a chance to proc on the initial cast.

Also as a side note, if you put it in an AoE you will only ever get one proc of it no matter how many targets you hit.

Yes, but you proc realiably with AoE vs larger spawns. Also equally important; +1 mag is often all you need and oftentimes I run around with +2 or +3 stacked protections. I would recommend it to any blaster who keeps getting mezzed (just about all) and suggest to slot it in a faster recharging AoE that you open with so you're likely to get status protection proc to help with the initial return fire.