"Errant Cosmic Rays": Alternative "Atomic" Powers

Now that Homecoming has delivered Atomic Manipulation and Radiation Assault, the versions of both I'd worked on over the Lost Years may've lost a fair amount of their half-lives, so to speak, BUT that doesn't mean I can't still share them here - who knows? Maybe some future Issue will introduce some way for these ideas of mine to see the light of day (or something similarly brigh-*KABOOM!!!!!*)...

ATOMIC ASSAULT (Assault)

Available to: Dominators

Set Color: Electric Bluish Green

You direct the raw power of the Universe against your enemies to devastating (although at times unpredictable) effect.

1) Neutrino Bolt - as Radiation Blast

2) Uranium Fist - see below

3) X-Ray Beam - as Radiation Blast

4) Irradiate - as Radiation Blast

5) Build Up

6) Touch of Ruin – You generate a small amount of antimatter from your fingertips and can direct it at a target up to 15 feet away from you. In addition to taking serious damage, the target is knocked back and left with reduced damage and damage resistance. This power is more endurance-intensive than similar attack powers, and there is a very brief period wherein it can be interrupted, so it must be timed carefully. Note that it can benefit from both Melee and Sniper Invention Enhancement sets.

Damage: Superior Energy

Recharge: Slow

7) Proton Volley - as Radiation Blast

😎 Shiva Strike - see below

9) Cosmic Burst - as Radiation Blast

Example Character Concept: The Unstoppable Fall of Empires! (Roguish Gravity Control/Atomic Assault Magic Dominator)

ATOMIC MANIPULATION (Support)

Available to: Blasters

Set Color: Electric Yellowish Green

You are nuclear-powered! You can generate radiation and pure atomic energy to devastating effect. Compared to other Blaster-Support sets, Atomic Manipulation offers truly exceptional raw power, but at a price of greater risk to you. 

1) Background Radiation – greatly slows the target and deals some damage.

Damage: Minor Energy (DoT)

Recharge: Fast

2) Uranium Fist – an unstable radioactive melee attack that, while it has a penalty to accuracy, does high damage and leaves the target with reduced defense.

Damage: High Energy/Smashing

Recharge: Fast

3) Radiation Leak – While this power is active, you give off radiation that slowly damages nearby enemies over time and slightly reduces their accuracy and defense.

Damage: Minor Energy (DoT)

4) Enervating Field - as Radiation Emission

5) Fusion

6) Atom Smasher – a nasty melee attack that splits some of the target's atoms, generating a powerful explosion that propels the target backwards and disrupts its damage resistance.

Damage: High Energy/Smashing

Recharge: Moderate

7) Critical Mass – you push your ability to generate energy to the absolute limit. While this power is active, all damage you deal is further increased, but you slowly take damage yourself.

😎 Shiva Strike – channels a megaton of energy into a single melee attack. The target's defense will be decreased and there is a small chance that ordinary enemies (unnamed pets, underlings, minions, lieutenants, and bosses) will be obliterated outright.

Damage: Extreme Energy/Smashing

9) Fallout - as Radiation Emission

The Astonishing Lal Oppenheimer! (Heroic Radiation Blast/Atomic Manipulation Technology Blaster)

Edited by AspieAnarchy
color-coded attack damage-types
  • Like 1

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

The game lags because you touch yourself at night - @Zem

On 8/16/2022 at 1:51 PM, AspieAnarchy said:

Set Color: Electric Yellowish Green

I object to this on general grounds; it and the other Radiation sets need to have their base color corrected to stop perpetuating the myth that radiation is green. This meme came from the glowing green markings of radium-lit displays -- but the color came from the glow of the sphalerite (lead sulphide) phosphor that was mixed with the radium, not the radium itself. Radioactive material doesn't itself glow (unless it gets hot enough to glow like any other hot-enough material), and the glow from radiation passing through air, water, or other transmissive material -- Çerenkov radiation -- is a turquoise blue; decades of cheesy science-fiction movies playing to misguided public perception to the contrary, it's not green.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I personally am struggling to find the motivation and logic behind this suggestion. Is it a rename of existing powers (Rad Blast and Atomic Manipulation) with a few switched powers thrown in? Is it a totally new power set? Because if it is the latter, then 1) some of its primary powers are redundant with the secondary. Now I know nothing of code, but I'm anticipating such redundancy may cause some problems. 2) it sure seems a helluvalot like Rad Blast and Atomic Manipulation. And if it's the former, why are we fixing something that aint broke? It sounds like a rather selfish request to satisfy a personal preference rather than a well thought of suggestion to improve a set. 

Additionally, I don't think it would be fair to the existing Blaster primaries for this proposed one to have 2 melee attacks while the others sets don't. In doing so, aren't you stepping into Dominator territory? Alternatively, the OP may want to try Peacebringers. The animations and powers are quite similar to Rad, and you get a nice mix of melee and ranged attacks as well as ST and AoEs.

@srmalloy I hear ya! it irks me to no end how "most people" perceive all things radioactive as green. I always make it a point to change the colour of my rad toons. For all intense porpoises, Radiation blasts should be invisible to the naked eye. 😃 

• Thumbs Down 1

7 hours ago, Six-Six said:

I personally am struggling to find the motivation and logic behind this suggestion.

I already explained it first-thing at the top of my post.

@srmalloy That IS interesting, actually - I would not mind shifting to turquoise-blue one bit, either!

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

The game lags because you touch yourself at night - @Zem