Ice Cubed - Hit 50, Build feedback before respecing

McOz

I just hit 50 on my ice/ice/ice. I'm really enjoying Blizzard + Ice Storm and Snow Storm - it melts mobs away.  Frozen Aura stomp is great, and seems worth procing out, as does Flash Freeze. I realised I don't need shiver AND Snow Storm, and I went fly, but prefer to be on the ground for Frozen Aura stomp and Ice Patch. This is what I built to respec into. Any feedback or obvious improvements from the hive mind before I do?

I don't mind dying occasionally, so i've not capped defence or resits. Mostly I play for fun. I like big damage, and a fun, varied play style. 

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Slow Roll Sally: Level 50 Natural Blaster
Primary Power Set: Ice Blast
Secondary Power Set: Ice Manipulation
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Cold Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Ice Bolt -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(3), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 1: Chilblain -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(9)
Level 2: Frost Breath -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(13), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(13)
Level 4: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(17)
Level 6: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(19), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(19)
Level 8: Freeze Ray -- GldJvl-Dam%(A), Apc-Dam%(17), GldNet-Dam%(21), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(46), NrnSht-Dam%(46), UnbCns-Dam%(50)
Level 10: Frigid Protection -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(21), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(23), NmnCnv-Heal(23), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(25), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(25)
Level 12: Ice Sword -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(27), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(27), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29)
Level 14: Aim -- AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(29), AdjTrg-Rchg(31)
Level 16: Build Up -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 18: Bitter Ice Blast -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(31), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(33)
Level 20: Ice Patch -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 22: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Super Speed -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 26: Bitter Freeze Ray -- SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(34), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(36)
Level 28: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), GldArm-ResDam(36), UnbGrd-Max HP%(36), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(37)
Level 30: Ice Storm -- OvrFrc-Dam/KB(A), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(37), OvrFrc-End/Rech(37), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(39), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(39), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(39)
Level 32: Blizzard -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(40), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(42)
Level 35: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(42), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(43)
Level 38: Frozen Aura -- FuroftheG-ResDeb%(A), Arm-Dam%(43), Erd-%Dam(43), Obl-%Dam(45), Dmg-I(45), Dmg-I(45)
Level 41: Snow Storm -- IceMisTrmt-End/Slow(A)
Level 44: Flash Freeze -- Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(A), PstBls-Dam%(46), Ann-ResDeb%(48), JvlVll-Dam%(48)
Level 47: Freezing Touch -- Mk'Bit-Dam%(A), Hct-Dam%(48)
Level 49: Frozen Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(50), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(15), Mrc-Rcvry+(15)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 24: Speed Phase 
------------

As you indicated your goal is to have fun. So the best any of us can offer is: "you do you".

What's fun to you is going to be different than what's fun for me or the next person, so if you have fun with your character that's the important piece.

You might just want to build it out on the test server for free and see if you have fun playing it and adjusting from there if necessary.

Some smaller nitpicks that jump out without changing power picks or attack slotting:

1. Health - Do you find yourself needing all three of those uniques?  With Frigid Protection slotted with EndMod I can't imagine your endurance moves, like, ever.  So you can definitely move those slots elsewhere.  Tough jumps out to me, as you could six slot it and get the nice 4 piece Unbreakable Guard bonus as well as the two 3% uniques.
  2. Frigid Protection - Blaster sustains usually give you more than enough recovery without enhancing. So a full set of Preventative Medicine might serve you better.  Or maybe 5 Doctored Wounds and 1 EndMod if you want to play it safe.  Either option gets you some extra recharge (8.75% and 5% respectively) and your endurance should be fine. 
  3. Combat Jumping - I personally like the Reactive Defenses unique (scaling resistance) here, since CJ's defense isn't really worth enhancing and its end cost is negligible.  You've already got the extra slot, so just replace the LotG Def/End. 
  4. Stamina - You'll get more out of a Performance Shifter proc than a regular EndMod enhancement.
  5. Aim - One 50+5 Recharge IO is fine (65%~ enhanced as is vs 53% with the one IO).  Between the massive amount of to hit Aim gives by default (and on top of Build Up), you don't really need to enhance the to hit buffs and you free up two slots.

And a bigger picture comment:  Your build could be a bit more focused.  You've got Kinetic Combat in Ice Sword but Thunderstrike in Ice Bolt and Chilblain.  Both are good sets, but chase different goals (S/L/M and E/N/R respectively).  Since you like to use Frozen Aura and already have Frozen Armor, maybe go S/L/M defense?  That said, I do like that your S/L/E/N are all just around 1 small purple from the softcap, so if that was your intention or if that's what is most comfortable then feel free to ignore.    

If you don't really mind lower defenses, you can always chase more recharge.  Ice Blast loves recharge, as the more often you can drop Ice Storm and Blizzard the better.  With that in mind, Apocalypse in Ice Bolt (or maybe Bitter Freeze Ray if you want to swap the Winter's Bite) and Ragnarok in Ice Storm will get you 20% global recharge and two extra slots (assuming you want to use their procs elsewhere and don't want/need the six set bonus) without sacrificing much.  Sub for Decimation and Positron's Blast if budget-conscious.

Edited by electric_emu
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the tips @electric_emu, I appreciate your time and input. I've implemented most, and I also swapped Super Speed for Maneuvers and put the extra slots in Freezing Touch slotted with Hecatomb for 10% more recharge. The Thunderstrikes were to get a little ranged defence in, the E + N was a bonus.  Revised build:

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Slow Roll Sally: Level 50 Natural Blaster
Primary Power Set: Ice Blast
Secondary Power Set: Ice Manipulation
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Cold Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Ice Bolt -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(3), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), Apc-Acc/Rchg(5), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(5)
Level 1: Chilblain -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(7)
Level 2: Frost Breath -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(11), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(13)
Level 4: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(13)
Level 6: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(15), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(15)
Level 8: Freeze Ray -- GldJvl-Dam%(A), Apc-Dam%(17), GldNet-Dam%(17), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(19), NrnSht-Dam%(19), UnbCns-Dam%(21)
Level 10: Frigid Protection -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(21), Prv-Heal/Rchg(23), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(23), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(25), Prv-Heal(25)
Level 12: Ice Sword -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(27), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(27), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29)
Level 14: Aim -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 16: Build Up -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 18: Bitter Ice Blast -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(29), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(33)
Level 20: Ice Patch -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 22: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Bitter Freeze Ray -- SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(34), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(34)
Level 28: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(34), UnbGrd-Max HP%(36), UnbGrd-ResDam(36), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(36), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 30: Ice Storm -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(37), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(39), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Rgn-Knock%(39)
Level 32: Blizzard -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(40), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(42)
Level 35: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(42), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(43)
Level 38: Frozen Aura -- FuroftheG-ResDeb%(A), Arm-Dam%(43), Erd-%Dam(43), Obl-%Dam(45), Arm-Dmg(45), Obl-Dmg(45)
Level 41: Snow Storm -- IceMisTrmt-End/Slow(A)
Level 44: Flash Freeze -- Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(A), PstBls-Dam%(46), Ann-ResDeb%(46), JvlVll-Dam%(46)
Level 47: Freezing Touch -- Hct-Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Dam%(48), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(48), Hct-Acc/Rchg(48), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(50)
Level 49: Frozen Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(50), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
------------

Glad I could help.  I've been making adjustments to my Ice/Fire build for days now and have gone through several rounds of similar tweaks.  Squeezing out every single point of recharge I can really ramps up the Ice Storm + Blizzard spam which may or may not be my new favorite thing.

• 3 weeks later

Posting back here that this build melts mobs:

- Snow storm + Blizzard takes down most mobs

- Frozen Aura + Flash Freeze will take down most minions and LT

- Single target attack chain hits *hard* and wipes out remaining bosses

- Freeze Ray and Bitter Freeze Ray nicely holds AV's

Working on T4 incarnates now.