Talk to me about Regen

TungstenShark

I tried Regen on a Scrapper and it is lackluster at best. I keep hearing Sentinel Regen is the best version (though maybe it's still not good). Educate me on the powers to skip, slotting, power pools to help or other tips. I have almost zero experience with Sentinels so I don't have a primary in mind or anything yet.

Thanks!

I can take a look at my Regen Sentinel when I get home tonight, but if I recall I took every power except the rez (though the rez can give a huge burst of health in a pinch).  A fair number of the powers are good for just one slot: Fast Healing and Dismiss Pain can get by with just an IO Healing if need be, Resiliance can be treated similarly but might be a good place for the Resist uniques.  I recall I went full six slot Preventitive Medicine in Reconstruction and did four slots of Numina's in both Intergration and Instant Regeneration.  I think I slotted MoG for Recharge and Recovery so it can be up as a panic button if needed.

Compared to a Scrapper, Sentinel Regen isn't really that much better.  The big advantage is that it's less clicky as Dull Pain and Instant Healing aren't clicks.  Instant Healing also provided a modest Absorb over time as a toggle instead of a click that caps your regen.  You still need to click for Reconstruction, Second Wind and MoG if you want them, though Reconstruction is pretty lame; even six slotted at 50 the heal is kind of weak (only about a third of my health) and the recharge is real bad, especially if compared to Healing Flames in Fiery Aura which is pretty much the same power at half the recharge.  It's still pretty good for what it is though, My Rad/Regen can usually get in and do the work without keeling over too quickly, only having trouble with mobs that hit really hard as Regen's big drawback is not always being able to soak up the alpha strike.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Ok, i'm back, here's what I've got concerning Regen.

As far as power picks, I skipped Second Wind but took everything else.  Up to you if you want to skip it but I valued other powers and find that I don't die often enough anyway to merit needing a self rez, though like I said it can be used to give you a boost in health when you're in a jam (if you use it while alive, it has a +MaxHP that scales up as you lose health, using it at low health gives you more).

Slotting Regen, it's pretty much all green.  Six slots Preventative Medicine in Reconstruction, Four slots Numina's Convalescence in both Instant Regeneration and Intergration (four slots of Numina's is a bonus to healing effects).  Quick Recovery and Dismiss Pain both have one slot, with a Performance Shifter +End and a generic 50+5 Heal respectively.  Fast Healing has two slots Numina's with the Regen/Recovery unique slotted (two slots Numina's is another slight Regen bonus).  Resilience two slots with the two +Def uniques.  Moment of Glory is slotted with two generic 50+5 Recharges as well as a Luck of the Gambler Recharge.  Actually pretty easy slotting.  If you value Recharge set bonuses, you can shuffle slots into Reconstruction, Instant Regeneration, and Integration and use Doctored Wounds or Panacea sets instead.  Doctored Wounds keeps some healing at four slots and adds some minor resistance to S/L/F/C as well as a 5% recharge boost, while Panacea will increase your Recovery, Regen, and Max HP along with a 7.5% Recharge along with some other buffs if you're into PvP.  Also consider shuffling slots to put the Impervious Skin +Regen into Resilience and the Power Transfer +HP into Quick Recovery (or Stamina).  Moment of Glory can take the Defense uniques, but putting them into a pool defense power instead like Combat Jumping, Hover, or Weave.  Consider aiming for defensive bonuses in your primary sets to cover what little Regen has; Thunderstrike is a great set for building Ranged Defense, your ATOs offer Melee and Range defense, if you can fit Winter sets, they generally offer Melee and AoE defense.  Take your ATOs anyway for the Range and Recharge set bonuses.

Pool choices, Fighting is pretty much mandatory since Regen offers very little damage resistance or defense (Resilience is only about 8% unslotted to all, and Reconstruction adds 14% Toxic for a minute, but that's it outside of MoG).  Travel is up to you, I use Mystic Flight on this character (pro-tip, Sentinel's version of Aim comes with a +Range bonus, which works with Mystic Flight/Translocation, Speed of Sound/Jaunt, and Teleport for longer teleports) but that did leave me taking another pool for Hover.  Hover Blasting as a Sentinel is a perfectly viable tactic, safer too, but still a bit slow as Sentinel damage is lackluster.

Edited by ZorkNemesis
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.