RIP Liz Windsor

Noted Bond girl, who pulled off one of the greatest crossover sketch pranks in film-to-live event history. Didn't even tell her family - and that's commitment to the gag.

https://olympics.com/en/video/the-queen-drops-into-london-2012-with-james-bond

• Like 2

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

I was reading this thinking " Who is Liz Windsor?" I know most of the names of the Bond actors of an age to die but...oh, wait.  😶😳🤣

Yes, that was possibly the best pre-Olympics show in history, and poor Rowan Atkinson had to follow that. (He was amazing, too.)   It was wonderful of her to play along with the gag.

Mom had heard or read of the Queen's humor and relayed a tale where two Americans were hiking near Balmoral (I think it was) and actually had the great fortune of crossing paths with the Queen and a servant near the castle.  (Why there wasn't a squad of the Coldstream Guard in sight, I've no idea.)  As the tale goes these blokes were oblivious to the reality of whom they were addressing, just assuming they were speaking with friendly locals.  The Queen decided to let it play out, and they ended up talking to the servant more than her, even going so far as to learn that he'd "been acquainted with the Queen for quite some time", and asking her if she'd take their picture with one who was acquainted with the Queen. Supposedly, she talked them into taking her picture as well, and confided to the servant later that she'd loved to be a fly on the wall when they showed that picture to friends. 

The tale may be true and it may be embellished in the retelling, but one things certain....I'm not claiming those idiots as fellow countrymen.  🙄

She certainly had a line in deadpan humour, and was very relaxed about this sort of thing.

According to legend, one of the few unlucky ones - a US Army Lieutenant - started pushing for attention of a pretty young ATS motorpool mechanic (repeated demands for names, contacts, kisses, Win At All Costs, I'm sure many of you know the drill.)

ATS 2nd Subaltern Liz Windsor was having none of it, and promptly changed his wheelnuts.

motorpool.thumb.jpeg.ede55cf00f97d676406270bcd9bff3f7.jpeg

While said GI was nursing hurt pride (amongst other things), unbeknownst to our heroic young mechanic word got around.

The unfortunate Lt was reassigned very far away from cushty office duties, though being from a DC family, unlikely anywhere lethal.

• Like 3

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.