I continue to be baffled by chat functions

RikOz

Is there some place, IN GAME that clearly shows the proper syntax and/or keystrokes for having a private conversation with another player?

I've discovered, completely accidentally, by missing the M key to pull up my Map and hitting the comma key next to it that the comma key will format my chat line to send a tell to the other person I have targeted (whether I have another player targeted or not).

When somebody sends me a tell, the only way I can find to reply to them is to click on their name in the chat window and select the "Send [character] Message" option from the popup menu. And I have to do that each and every time I reply to them, which is extremely awkward and inconvenient.

I can't figure out how to send a tell to a character who is not in range for me to actually target them, because the syntax is not readily apparent. I had a conversation with another player today, and was only able to send a tell using the "Target them and hit comma" method to start the conversation, and then using the "Click on their name and select from the popup" method to continue conversing with them. And then, once the conversation was over and I logged out, just before the actual logout I looked at the chat window and saw it informing me that I had somehow inadvertently ignored this other player. Once I was back to the character select screen I logged my character back in, found my ignore list, and removed them from it. Then I tried to send a new tell to them, and typed,

/t Charactername Oops, I accidentally blah blah blah ...

Which didn't go through, and returned the error message, "There is no Charactername Oops currently online ..."

I also apparently cannot send a message to somebody's Global handle without first adding them as a Global Friend?

All of this is on top of the continuing problem of everything I type in the chat line gets dumped into "Local" instead of whatever it says at the beginning of the chat line (except for Super Group, that works properly).

GAH!

All of this is on top of the continuing problem of everything I type in the chat line gets dumped into "Local" instead of whatever it says at the beginning of the chat line (except for Super Group, that works properly).

GAH!

I forgot this one too... at the bottom of the chat box, there are a bunch of little bubbles that signify which channel you want to talk in. Clicking on one of them (I think it's "A" for auto) will make you always talk in the channel that is the default for the text box you're in.

To initiate a private chat with someone, you can...

- click on their name and choose "send a message" from the popup

- use /t @globalname, message or /t charactername, message  (don't forget the comma after the name)

- target them and use the comma to address your target

Once you are in a private conversation, use backspace to reply to the last person who sent you a tell  (beware! if another person sends you a tell in the middle of your convo, you could end up with a mis-tell)

More info can be found on this page in the Paragon Wiki:  https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Chat_Window#Chat_Line

GAH!

I forgot this one too... at the bottom of the chat box, there are a bunch of little bubbles that signify which channel you want to talk in. Clicking on one of them (I think it's "A" for auto) will make you always talk in the channel that is the default for the text box you're in.

That's what's getting frustrating - that is not working for me. Aside from the fact that those bubbles/buttons are completely indistinguishable/illegible to me because they're so tiny, despite playing on a 32-inch screen with the UI bumped up to 120% size, so I have to just click them in sequence until I get the channel I want, my words still go to "Local" instead of whatever I selected. I'll keep fooling with it to see if I can get it to work.

I can type in Help, but I have to precede everything with "/hc".

To initiate a private chat with someone, you can...

- click on their name and choose "send a message" from the popup

- use /t @globalname, message or /t charactername, message  (don't forget the comma after the name)

- target them and use the comma to address your target

Once you are in a private conversation, use backspace to reply to the last person who sent you a tell  (beware! if another person sends you a tell in the middle of your convo, you could end up with a mis-tell)

A-ha, it appears that the comma after the name is what I have been missing. Every time I've tried using /t or /tell followed by a name, it has failed, and the error message that appears in yellow is rather unhelpful because it just keeps saying to use /t or /tell (or one of a couple other variations), and does not make it at all clear that I should have been putting a comma after the name. Thanks!

In hindsight, I can see why it's needed, given that we are allowed to use multiple words for character names. In WoW, when you sent a whisper (/w <playername>) the chat system just automatically assumed that the first word was the name and the second word was the beginning of the message, because in WoW your character name has to be one word. So there was no possibility of confusion over where the name ended.