MID's Reborn in Linux Mint 21.1

Trauma Junky

Getting CoH Homecoming to install and run in linux was easy. Infact, I've installed it in 3 different apps...

CrossOver 
Bottles

PlayonLinux

However, I cannot get MID's Reborn to install, which I've attempted in all 3 of the above apps, and also WINE. 

Once I get past the updates MR asks for, it just sits there, doing nothing, but the windows dialogue box says it's installing. I've even waited over 2 houars and nothing.

If anyone out there has successfully got MR to install, and run in Linux (or specifically Linux Mint 201.1) please help me. 

Thank you kindly, 

NeoSporinMD
🙂

Edited by Trauma Junky
ficst speeling errer
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later

Hi.

I've not used Mint for a while, but due to an impending thought about getting rid of Windows, I've had a play and the following process worked for me (tested with fresh install of Fedora 37 and also Ubuntu 2210, which is presumably the closest to Mint of those two).

Any comments about steps are hashed out with a #

For this I used Mids 3.4.7.5 from the website.

DISCLAIMER - I am NOT responsible if doing anything listed here or below causes you issues with your wine setup - I'm not familiar enough with wine to know if I've done anything obviously bad or that might impact use of wine or another program that helps manage it.  Also, if doing any of the following causes your wine installation to eat all the cheese in your place of dwelling, it's not my fault.

Fedora 37

1. sudo dnf update                       #always good to make sure you're up to date
  2. sudo dnf install winetricks         #This is because you might not want to mess with your default wine setup
  3. winetricks --gui
    1. create a new prefix, I called mine MIDS just so it stood out, and I went with 64-bit
    2. Select the new prefix you just created.  make a note of the path displayed in the top bar, probably something like /home/myuser/.local/ and so on.  you'll need this later
    3. Select "Install a Windows DLL or component"
    4. scroll down and select "dotnetcore3" and "dotnetcoredesktop3"               #not 100% if these are both needed, but this is what I did to get it working
    5. hit OK and there will be some downloading, some complaining about 64-bit prefixes and such, it's all good, just make sure you're installing the 3 or so things it asks for
  4. Open a terminal, and we'll assume you downloaded MRB_3.4.7.5.zip into your Downloads directory (some people call these things folders), and we'll make a new directory to host mids:
      mkdir mids; cd mids; unzip ../Downloads/MRB_3.4.7.5.zip
                    #or use whatever gui tool to do this
  5. We now need to tell wine which prefix to use when it runs, and it does this via setting a shell variable - you will need the path you saw in step 3.2, make sure you don't just copy/paste but use the one that is correct for you: 
    export WINEPREFIX=/home/myuser/.local/share/wineprefixes/MIDS
  6. We can now run wine against the MidsReborn.exe and get the next bit done: 
     wine ./MidsReborn.exe

This will then complain about yet another .NET component you need to download and should hopefully open a web browser window and download the file for you.  If for some reason it doesn't, you can get the file from https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/thank-you/runtime-desktop-6.0.13-windows-x64-installer?cid=getdotnetcore
    If for some reason there is an issue and the installer doesn't run, you can run this manually with:

wine ../Downloads/windowsdesktop-runtime-6.0.13-win-x64.exe
  7. Go back to the winetricks gui, ensure your wineprefix is selected, and at the next window select "Install a font"
  8. select "liberation" and "tahoma".  winetricks will now go and download them, expect some clicking about 64-bit prefixes and winetricks running a command until you finally get back to the menu with "winetricks - current prefix is...." at the top.
  9. You can now hopefully run Mids with the same command we gave in step 6:  
    wine ./MidsReborn.exe
  10. Yes, some of the fonts and things don't look quite right, but this is better than not having it.

Ubuntu 2210

1. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

2. sudo apt-get install winetricks

Broadly the same steps as Fedora, but we do have another hoop to jump through before step 6

6a.  Fire up winetricks as a gui by running this from a terminal: 

winetricks --gui

6b.  Select your wineprefix, mine was MIDS.  At the next window, select "Install a font"

6c.  select "liberation" and "tahoma".  winetricks will now go and download them, expect some clicking about 64-bit prefixes and winetricks running a command until you finally get back to the menu with "winetricks - current prefix is...." at the top.

6d. you can now perform step 6, 7 and 8 and hopefully you should now have a working Mids.

Both

To run Mids in future, you only need to do the following in a terminal:

cd mids
export WINEPREFIX=/home/myuser/.local/share/wineprefixes/MIDS
wine ./MidsReborn.exe

Or, you can create a script so that you just need to type something like runmids to start mids:

nano runmids

#!/bin/bash
export WINEPREFIX=~/.local/share/wineprefixes/MIDS
wine ./mids/MidsReborn.exe

chmod +x runmids

Enjoy.

Edited by Destruktor
updated to add script to make it easier to run in future
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later
  • 3 weeks later

Quick update for Mids 3.6.6.3 (might also be relevent for other versions):

Step 3.4 - install dotnetdesktop6 (only this one is needed)

Step 5 - you need an additional line here (again you will need to replace myuser with your user account name):

export DOTNET_ROOT="/home/myuser/.local/share/wineprefixes/MIDS/drive_c/Program Files/dotnet/host/6.0.19/hostfxr.dll"

(I didn't discover this myself, original link for this DOTNET_ROOT thing is here )