Differences of Electric control for doms vs trollers?

SmalltalkJava

I rolled an Electric control controller today. And I friggen loved it.  The blue endo drain is outstanding. It’s low damage got me thinking about a dom version.  So what are the differences for electric/ between the ATs?  I’m on my cell waiting for an appointment at the moment and can’t look it up.  So I’ll ask the professional doms!

• 2 months later

Looks like this is an old post. However, since no one answered the original question, here's my take.

Electric Control is a very effective, but very low damage set. Dominators get an Assault set as their secondary that fills this hole nicely. For this reason, in general I prefer Electric Control on Dominators. However it can still make for an effective Controller, particularly paired with a set like Storm that adds damage.

Domination mode also provides mezz protection, so a Dominator in that mode can run around with Conductive Aura on and does not need to worry about getting detoggled. If you manage to go perma-dom this advantage gets even stronger. Note that a few Controller sets and one of the epic pools also provides mezz protection, somewhat evening this advantage out.

One thing to note about the Dominator version of Synaptic Overload is that unlike Plant's Seeds of Confusion, the Domination proc applies only to the first enemy hit, not every enemy in the chain. This is due to a quirk in how this power works. Dominator powers that summon psuedo pets, as this one does, do not usually Dominate. In this case the underlying power is so strong that it's not that much of a downside, it just means a Controller or Dominator using this power is about on equal footing. Where possible, Dominators should try to make the first target of the power a Boss, in order to take advantage of the Domination effect on the first enemy in the chain.

Many Electric Controllers probably want to keep Jolting Chain because their damage options are so limited. Few Dominators are likely to keep this power for long because the damage is disappointing. If the power had a faster cast animation (any developers listening? 🙂 ) it would make it a much better power.  As it is, I consider the Dom ability to skip this power a point in their favor.

Theoretically, Electric Controllers are better able to protect their Gremlin pets. In practice, Electric Control is so effective at shutting down mobs that I've not had an issue with their AT.

In the energy draining game, a few Controller secondaries provide some assistance. Kinetics in particular can make an enemy instantly miserable. On either AT, taking a tertiary power set that includes Power Sink can make your drain abilities legendary. However, for most Controllers, this means forgoing mezz protection from Indom Will (unless you get it from Clarion).

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1