Questions about Brute and Regen

Brunch

Hello. I am just starting CoH again after playing it a long time ago. I have a few questions if you have time.

I'm looking for a build that has a good mixture of single target attacks, multi target attacks, and survivability. While the Spines/Fire thing seems very appealing from an AOE farming perspective, I would rather build a more well-rounded character. So my questions are:

What is a primary that has a nice balance between single target damage and multi target damage?

Why do I never see any builds that use Regeneration?

Are other secondaries better for survivability?

I like the idea of Regeneration because the concept reminds me of a classic Paladin and its ridiculous survivability. I was thinking if it was combined with a good primary, it could actually have decent damage, unlike a classic Paladin. Am I way off base on this?

Any advice is most welcome and thank you for reading.

What is a primary that has a nice balance between single target damage and multi target damage?

Titan Weapons.  To a lesser extent, Katana, Street Justice, Ice Melee, Fiery Melee, War Mace, Radiation Melee, and Super Strength.  If you can live with slightly lower damage but a lot of flexibility, Staff.

Here's a build that uses Regeneration.

Villain Plan by Mids' Villain Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Brute

Primary Power Set: Dual Blades

Secondary Power Set: Regeneration

Power Pool: Fighting

Power Pool: Leaping

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Leadership

Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Villain Profile:

Level 1: Nimble Slash -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), CrsImp-Dmg/Rchg(42), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42)

Level 1: Fast Healing -- NmnCnv-Heal(A), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(5), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(7)

Level 2: Ablating Strike -- SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprUnrFur-Dmg/Rchg(34), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(36)

Level 4: Quick Recovery -- EffAdp-EndMod(A), EffAdp-EndMod/Rchg(5)

Level 6: Kick -- Empty(A)

Level 8: Reconstruction -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal(9), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(9), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(11), Prv-Heal/Rchg(11), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(31)

Level 10: Blinding Feint -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(37), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(37), CrsImp-Dmg/Rchg(37)

Level 12: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(13), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(13), Rct-ResDam%(45), WntGif-ResSlow(50)

Level 14: Tough -- UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(15), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(15), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(17), GldArm-3defTpProc(27)

Level 16: Integration -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(17), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(19), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(19), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(21), NmnCnv-Heal(21)

Level 18: Vengeful Slice -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(43), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), CrsImp-Dmg/Rchg(43)

Level 20: Resilience -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(25), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(25), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(27), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(33)

Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(23), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(23), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(45)

Level 24: Dull Pain -- NmnCnv-Heal(A), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(29), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(29), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(31)

Level 26: Sweeping Strike -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury(46)

Level 28: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)

Level 30: Instant Healing -- Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg(33), Prv-Heal(33), RechRdx-I(34)

Level 32: One Thousand Cuts -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(46)

Level 35: Gloom -- SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(48)

Level 38: Moment of Glory -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), RechRdx-I(50)

Level 41: Darkest Night -- DmpSpr-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(A)

Level 44: Revive -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 47: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)

Level 49: [Empty]

Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Fury

Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), RgnTss-Regen+(3), Pnc-Heal(7)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- EffAdp-EndMod(A), EffAdp-EndMod/Acc(3)

Level 50: Spiritual Core Paragon

------------

Yes, in some sense nearly all of them except Fiery Aura.  Regeneration has the lowest baseline mitigation of any armor set.  It compensates by having a number of active click powers that make it very strong for short periods of time, but the activation of these powers cuts into time you could be attacking.  It's also always a risk to rely on reflex, when plenty of sets are just passively tough.

I like the idea of Regeneration because the concept reminds me of a classic Paladin and its ridiculous survivability. I was thinking if it was combined with a good primary, it could actually have decent damage, unlike a classic Paladin. Am I way off base on this?

A classic Paladin would be Shield Defense, which boosts your damage, has a defense aura, and doesn't require a ton of clicking.  Regeneration is more like a classic Barbarian.  You're great for a few seconds but you have to spend time turning on your power and get exhausted in any fight longer than that.  Any Brute can do good damage, particularly with a good primary.

Try Titan Weapons/Radiation Armor or Street Justice/Shield Defense.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

If you really want to explore the Paladin Concept -

Anyweapon/Shield

Medicne Pool, including Aid Other, Aid Self, and a Rez

Leadership Pool, all yuo can cram in.

Yannow, maybe not -mathmatically maximized-, but fun... I could totally see playing that character.

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

Titan Weapons.  To a lesser extent, Katana, Street Justice, Ice Melee, Fiery Melee, War Mace, Radiation Melee, and Super Strength.  If you can live with slightly lower damage but a lot of flexibility, Staff.

(chuckles at Claws not being listed)

The problem with /regen is that it has no initial way to mitigate damage. Considering a brute can at times be asked to be the meat-shield on a team, alpha strike can be unkind to /regen. It gets better in solo situations and once you start to factor in IO sets. /wp is an easier to get up and running and smoother ride to 50 with using basically the same concept.

Dark is great, but poor at AoE. Savage is looking to be currently underwhelming. Those are likely the two biggest ones to avoid if you want balanced damage sets. I would easily roll Katana, Street Justice, SS, and Claws if I was making a /wp brute looking for what you are. Not to say the others are bad. Just what I have played on some level and really like.

RE: /shield

I would prefer going scrapper here as scrappers benefit more from the +dmg it offers. It does add an AoE attack to help fill in sets which are weaker in that area, ie Dark.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

(chuckles at Claws not being listed)

Claws has great AoE on Brutes, but mediocre ST -- and it's a bit advanced to get it working.  Like you point out elsewhere, it's also much better as a Scrapper set.  I didn't list MA or DB for similar reasons.

I don't recall saying it is better as a scrapper set. Claws has been known as one of the better sets for building furry.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

I don't recall saying it is better as a scrapper set. Claws has been known as one of the better sets for building furry.

I was referring to the +dmg aspect, but I didn't make that explicit.  I think most of the recommended sets are going to be pretty close to equivalent at furrification at max/optimal.  I'd have to find the Fury specific mechanics to be sure, but most optimal attack chains are very roughly comparable in attacks delivered/first 10s.

Thank you all very much for the feedback. After reading your advice, I have decided that Shield Defense is what I am looking for, but have not decided what to pair it with. It seems that it only pairs with certain primaries? I chose brute because I liked the high scores in tanking and melee damage, but as I don't actually plan to tank perhaps scrapper would be a better choice as some have alluded to. I will look at the pairings available with Shields on both classes and decide. I also wonder what the difference in gameplay would be with and without a rage (fury?) bar.

I also wonder what the difference in gameplay would be with and without a rage (fury?) bar.

You're gonna learn a lot more trying one or two Brutes and one or two Scrappers than you will from us.

SD prohibits any two handed or dual wield weapon sets (Claws, Dual Blades, Titan Weapon, Katana, and Staff).  Anything else is fair game.  For looks, I like it with Martial Arts, Street Justice, Dark Melee, or Kinetic Melee.  I think the best AoE out of those is Street Justice.

I also wonder what the difference in gameplay would be with and without a rage (fury?) bar.

You're gonna learn a lot more trying one or two Brutes and one or two Scrappers than you will from us.

SD prohibits any two handed or dual wield weapon sets (Claws, Dual Blades, Titan Weapon, Katana, and Staff).  Anything else is fair game.  For looks, I like it with Martial Arts, Street Justice, Dark Melee, or Kinetic Melee.  I think the best AoE out of those is Street Justice.

Elec Melee is also good looking and fun. Especially as you end up with two AOE teleport nukes, Lightning Rod and Shield Charge

Hello. I am just starting CoH again after playing it a long time ago. I have a few questions if you have time.

I'm looking for a build that has a good mixture of single target attacks, multi target attacks, and survivability. While the Spines/Fire thing seems very appealing from an AOE farming perspective, I would rather build a more well-rounded character. So my questions are:

I'm having some issues as a SS brute with Regen. I'm only Level 11 at the moment, does it get better over time as you unlock new powers? I currently only have Fast Healing and Reconstruction unlocked.

I'm having some issues as a SS brute with Regen. I'm only Level 11 at the moment, does it get better over time as you unlock new powers? I currently only have Fast Healing and Reconstruction unlocked.

No melee character can really be judged until it has a big chunk of its defense set, slotted out a bit, and wearing at least SOs.  So, call it in the 22-30 range.

Until you do that, the defense sets are providing so little value that you are essentially a low-damage blaster trapped in melee.

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

It gets a little better -- particularly with Integration, Dull Pain, and at the end Moment of Glory.  But Regen is a very expensive set to build for (it needs lots and lots of +recharge) and click-intensive to play.

Once good(?) thing is that once you pick up Resilience, you're immune to being stunned by wakies.  That should tell you a fair bit about what to expect.

It gets a little better -- particularly with Integration, Dull Pain, and at the end Moment of Glory.  But Regen is a very expensive set to build for (it needs lots and lots of +recharge) and click-intensive to play.

Once good(?) thing is that once you pick up Resilience, you're immune to being stunned by wakies.  That should tell you a fair bit about what to expect.

Class features:

1.)  Better dying

2.)  Debt Badges

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

No reason to not have Dull Pain by 11.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.