Parents' Death Story

drgantz

A while back, I made a toon whose story was that the parents were killed by the mafia, and then found fighting trainers to later get revenge.

Someone told me that this was Batman's story.

Recently, someone else told me that this general story is older than Batman.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any similar stories.  This can be from movies, novels, comics or anything else.

59 minutes ago, drgantz said:

A while back, I made a toon whose story was that the parents were killed by the mafia, and then found fighting trainers to later get revenge.

Word for word, that's the backstory from Caillou.

• Haha 4

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

Thank you both for your replies. 

I've never heard of Caillou, so I googled it.  I only found a Canadian Children's TV show, which had nothing to do with this.

The link shown mostly portrays people who already were warriors and seeked revenge.  It did mention Inigo Montoya, who was an excellent example of someone who trained in order to get revenge.

I am mostly referring to a person who began as a regular person, but who was motivated by parents' death to   train to fight and get revenge on evildoers.

1 hour ago, drgantz said:

Thank you both for your replies. 

I've never heard of Caillou, so I googled it.  I only found a Canadian Children's TV show, which had nothing to do with this.

Caillou started as a children's show, but it took a turn midway through the fifth season when a violent drug cartel moved into the neighborhood and set up shop right outside the school. 

One of the drug lord's 'children' (later revealed to be the drug lord himself, a 40yo man suffering from focal segmental glomerulosclerosis, 'Gary Coleman Disease') began pushing narcotics on the schoolyard playground.  Caillou reported this to his Grandmother, who alerted Caillou's parents, who in turn notified the RCMP (Canada).

This resulted in several low-level arrests but it was revealed that the capo and several of his lieutenants had diplomatic immunity, as the cartel were in Canada as ambassadors of the Pacific nation of Norfolk Island.  In retribution, the cartel ran the family down in broad daylight as they were walking to the Ice Cream Stop, and attacked them with comically-long machetes.

Viciously wounded in the initial assault, Caillou survived by climbing into the cavity created when his grandmother was disemboweled and hiding there until the attack was over; from his fetal position inside granny, he could clearly see every face of every attacker's committed them to memory.

He was later found and nursed to health by a fictionalized version of Brent Gretzky (Canada), portrayed here as a highly-skilled martial artist and freelance assassin formerly in the employ of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (Canada). 

Brent Gretzky trained Caillou in the use of various deadly forms of martial arts and associated weaponry, as well as numerous techniques used to torture and kill a grown man using only maple syrup (Canada).

In the five-part finale - the entirety of which was present in the form of a montage - Caillou was depicted tracking, isolating and systematically dispatching his family's killers one-by-one in progressively-novel and increasingly-gruesome ways; for instance, his first kill was stabbed in the navel with a pointy umbrella that was then opened after it passed through the man's back. Another took place inside a Great Clips, where Caillou ignored the Clip Notes on file and kept shaving the man's head until nothing was left of him but a pair of shins and gaudy snakeskin boots.  Yet another was beaten to death in an alley by being struck 33,120 times in the same spot on his skull with the same banana, in a nod to the number of frames of animation typically used in a traditional Caillou episode. 

In the final episode, Caillou cornered the diminutive cartel boss inside a disused Kirby Vacuum outlet.  After a lengthy battle that featured each man using improvised weapons found in the mmediate vicinity to inflict unreasonable wounds on each other, Caillou forced his opponent into a grievous tactical error wherein the doomed man attempted to use a Model 562 as a bludgeon; noticing the reversed polarity of the electric motor found in the notoriously-powerful appliance, Caillou activated the vacuum which proceeded to instantly suck the skin, subcutaneous fat, nerves, veins, muscles, connective tissues, cartilage, organs, and most of the skeleton into a receptacle bag, which then exploded, leveling the warehouse but leaving Caillou unharmed, holding only the man's denuded, diminutive skull.

The shift to an ultra-violent (yet still, cartoonish) aesthetic turned off many longtime viewers, and the show was not renewed for a sixth season.  

1675195648928.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Thanks.   That is an interesting story for Caillou.

My toon is StJ/EA Natural Stalker

This is her story:

The daughter of a magician and a dancer, she learned the arts of magic, illusion, dance and acrobatics.   One day, she went backstage and saw her parents with mob goons. She hid as she heard the goons say, "For many years we bought you expensive illusion equipment. We only asked that we use them to smuggle things. Now, you have refused your end of the bargain." Her father replied, "We can no longer do this in good conscience. We promise to pay you back and we won't go to the police. We only ask that you leave us alone." A goon responded, "You can never leave the mob, and there is only one way to guarantee your silence." The goons then shot her parents and left. She ran out of her hiding place and held her parents, only to see them die. She then swore revenge against the mobsters who killed her parents. She sneaked onto a plane and travelled the world, finding trainers of ancient Fighting Styles. She travels as a Magician's Assistant, finding new trainers and helping people as she can.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, DoctorHugh said:

You can essentially start with Hamlet and move forward from there.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YouKilledMyFather

You can go even further back to 458 BCE with Aeschylus' Oresteia trilogy.

Essentially Clytemnestra takes another lover while her husband King Agamemnon is fighting in the Trojan war because she's pissed at Agamemnon for sacrificing their daughter Iphigenia at the behest of the Oracle prior to voyaging to Troy for the war. Upon his return he also has a new concubine named Cassandra (who is worried about a vision from Apollo foretelling of Agamemnon and her death). Inside the palace Clytemnestra stabs Agamemnon and Cassandra to death in a bathtub. Clytemnestra's lover Aegisthus moves into the palace and the two claim to have all the power and disinherit the children of Agamemnon and Clytemnestra (Orestes and Electra).

The Electra is forced to essentially live as a slave. Years later Orestes returns to Argos under orders from the God Apollo to avenge his father. He gets help from his cousin Phiades and reunites with his sister. Orestes and Electra concoct a plan to avenge their father.  Orestes hesitates killing his mother but his cousin reminds him that Apollo ordered it.

the furies get pissed at him for committing matricide.

Apollo intervenes and let's Orestes escape to Athens under protection from Hermes. Clytemnestra's ghost begs the furies for justice. They go to Athena who sets up the first trial by jury. The jury is split 6-6, so Athena casts the deciding vote to spare Orestes.

Sorry for the super long post. One of my majors in college was theatre and another was humanities so I nerd out a bit with Classical Greek literature.

Edited by SeraphimKensai
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

One of my majors in college was theatre and another was humanities so I need out a bit with Classical Greek literature.

Aww, I'm sorry to hear you're unemployable.

That's what happens when you study Classical Greek though!

"If you gaze into the wierd convoluted tragedy, the tragedy gazes also into you."

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, DoctorHugh said:

Aww, I'm sorry to hear you're unemployable.

That's what happens when you study Classical Greek though!

"If you gaze into the wierd convoluted tragedy, the tragedy gazes also into you."

I do alright as I have an MPA and a JD as well. I still want to go back to school for a DPA or a PhD but that is on the back burner a bit until the baby gets older.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, drgantz said:

Thanks.   That is an interesting story for Caillou.

It would have been a better story if Wombo Dream worked like it used to, before it learned to deliver average results.  It used to take any prompt whatsoever and deliver the perfect fever-dream results. Now it has guardrails and delivers less-insane drawings.

I mean, it's still GOOD, but it used to be great.

1675262275254.jpg