Anyone using */Psi?

Cutter

Rolled up a baby Ice/Psi recently. I'm familiar with Ice from live. Trying to figure out what to do with the secondary. The only info on it comes from the other melee boards, and seems to boil down to "T1 attack sucks" and "Psi resist sucks". Obviously can't do anything about the T1 as it's mandatory, and resist is what it is.

I chose the pairing for the -rech synergy, and because psi is new to me. (Also, costume/theme.)

Does /Psi do reasonably well for a Tank? Is it truly gimped for damage by the mandatory T1 attack? And will the added -rech be appreciable, especially with Chilling Embrace running?

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

My Rad/Psi is level 46 and I am greatly enjoying her. She is as capable (and perhaps moreso) as my pre-shutdown Dark/Fire and Ice/Stone Tankers were.

I went Psi for the -rech as well but also for Mass Levitation as things on their butt aren't attacking you or team members. I admit I rarely make use of the T1 attack because all the other attacks cycle quickly enough (Beta Decay gives +rech). I have absolutely no complaints about Psi.

That's encouraging, thanks! I'll keep working on her. Really looking forward to Mass Lev, and eventually having an attack chain that doesn't involve Vet powers!

What, if anything, have you skipped from /Psi?

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

The only thing I skipped on my Tanker was Boggle. Making on mob fight another every now and then is meaningless to me getting aggro on the group, dealing damage is meaningful only to the extent it grabs aggro, and breaking up attack chains to use it seemed clunky). Insight is nice to have (especially for Greater Psi Blade) but trying to prompt it to occur more often was not worth it to me to try to squeeze in Boggle on the Tanker.

I might be late to the party but I have a Bio/Psi tank and I think /Psi is wonderful. I run a three attack rotation single target only when I'm DPSing (which I do), plus I have taunt and mass levitation for taunting purposes. I don't have the 1st AoE attack (Psi Blade Sweep) as A) Mass Lev does a better job at hitting close-by targets, and B) the three single target attacks fill my more basic DPS needs well enough + cycle reasonably fast.

When you get mass lev, especially if you also have haste, it runs hot (at least with the build I have) so you'll need to be aware of +end.

I used to have boggle but I got rid of it; it's a fine power but A) it's animation is too long, and B) I didn't think it fit well into either category (DPS or Tanking) once I hit lvl 38, so I didn't feel it had a role anymore. I also don't have the build-up power; although my char can DPS, it's not designed with that as the primary task, so I used that slot for maneuvers instead to give the DPSers more DPS, which I thought might be a better use of the slot. 

Hope this helps.

I recently rolled a Rad/Psi and wow, really fun. My last tank was a INV/SS, which was my first toon way back from live launch, and I'm enjoying this build immensely over SS.

INV/SS Tank, first toon on live in April 2004, first 50 and now Reborn in 2019

• 2 weeks later