A couple of questions on content creation

Darkredwing

Hello all, I had a few questions hopefully you all could help me out. I vaguely remember there being a limit on the number of characters that could be added to custom groups. Is this right, and if so what exactly is that limit? In addition, could we add custom character to official groups? My second question relates to random minions. Could we create a custom random minion that will spawn in, or is that pretty much a no go? If I wanted to add higher level content to low level group, say the skuls or hellions to make would that be doable?

Thanks all for your time.

I vaguely remember there being a limit on the number of characters that could be added to custom groups. Is this right, and if so what exactly is that limit?

I dont' recall there being a hard limit on the number of critters in a custom group, but there is a limit to the file size allowed for your arc, and custom critters use up a lot of space.  So that effectively limits how many you can use.

In addition, could we add custom character to official groups?

You will have to create a new group, with a mix of standard critters from the "official" group and your custom critters.  You have to give this group a different name than the official group, I don't exactly remember what happens if you don't (it just spawns the official group maybe, without your customs?) just that you have to do it to get it to work properly.

My second question relates to random minions. Could we create a custom random minion that will spawn in, or is that pretty much a no go?

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  If you mean a minion that isn't part of a custom group, technically no, every custom critter must be part of a custom group, but you can make a custom group with just that minion in it.  You can use them in a "fight a boss" objective, (which you can't do with standard minions), which can be set to appear after another objective is completed.  (example, when you click a blinky, the minion spawns.) If you want the minion to spawn in like an ambush, no, you can't do that.

If I wanted to add higher level content to low level group, say the skuls or hellions to make would that be doable?

You can make custom Skulls and Hellions at any level you want (if it's an all-custom group, you might even be able to name them Skulls and Hellions, but always test your missions before publishing), but you can't make the standard Skull and Hellion critters spawn at higher levels.  You can put them in a higher-level mission, but they'll be grey.

My second question relates to random minions. Could we create a custom random minion that will spawn in, or is that pretty much a no go?

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  If you mean a minion that isn't part of a custom group, technically no, every custom critter must be part of a custom group, but you can make a custom group with just that minion in it.  You can use them in a "fight a boss" objective, (which you can't do with standard minions), which can be set to appear after another objective is completed.  (example, when you click a blinky, the minion spawns.) If you want the minion to spawn in like an ambush, no, you can't do that.

Sorry, that was a bit unclear. I was referring to the random appearances of the critters. I wanted to design a couple of different customs for the same critter and it could prove some additional variety in the enemies being fought. But taking a closer look that probably just means random as in "random" minion from the selected enemy group. So disregard that question.

The file size limit is probably what I remembered from Live, I just recall encountering the limits while trying to expand my custom groups I believe.

Thanks for your answers, much appreciated!

You can give different critters the same name.  That way you can have, say, a Skull Brawler with martial arts and a Skull Brawler with superstrength.  They'd be considered as separate critters by the system though, although to a player it would look like Skull Brawlers have a bunch of different powers.  Unfortunately it wouldn't help you get around the file size limit.

As to file size, I had a mission with several custom mobs, and it was near the limit on the old system - I loaded that same mission into MA and it is about a 1/4 of the limit now, so it feels like it would be difficult to hit the cap on Homecoming.

AE Arcs: Search for @Ankylosaur    * denotes Dev's Choice

• Adventures in Lit:  Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54*  |  Adventures in Oz - 40-54  |  Adventures in Neverland - 45-54
  • Notable One-offs: Rularularian - 41-54*  |  The Serpent Beyond the Horizon - 46-52*   |  Robolution - 25-34*  |  The Genesis & Geneticists of The Coming Hamiggedon -  41-54*   |  Spycraft and Spidermen - 40-47  |  Return to Faultline - 40-54 
  • Post-Praetoria Series: All That Glitters: Gold Brickers & Mooks 9 Arcs  |   All That Glimmers:  First Warders & Mu - 9 Arcs  | All That Glints: The Awakened & Council - 3 Arcs  |  All That Glows: Nictus & 5th Column - 3 Arcs*   |  All That Gleams: Epilogue (Neo Tokyo) - 1 Arc