Tankers The New Fire Farmers? What Would Be A Good Combo For Farming?

Mythical Creature

I have seen it mentioned in several places now that tankers are now faster farmers than brutes in page 5. I always drag my stone/rad tanker with me to help hold onto aggro, but I am thinking about making a tanker just for fire farming now.

Thoughts on the best combo for this? I have seen fire/ss mentioned but have never played super strength, would that be the best bet? I know the classic brute choices of spines and radiation probably also work, is there any I am not considering? Is fire the best secondary for this or maybe something like bio armor or radiation armor? Thoughts?

My main farmer is a spines/fire brute so they would more or less work together one on each screen. 

Thanks in advance! 

<Witch> of Everlasting

<Mythical Creature> of Excelsior
Global Name: @Mythical Creature
"Monsters are real and they look like people." - Unknown

To answer my own question? I was doing more research on this and it seems that rad armor / super strength is actually the popular choice for tank farming. Also instead of fire farming, it will be smashing/lethal farming, which presumably should be harder to nerf because a lot more things do S/L damage.

Super Strength is useful for the double stacking of rage and also the wide radius of foot stomp on a short reuse timer. Radiation is useful because of the +recharge from the damage aura, the extra damage from meltdown, and the extra wide pbae. 

I read through a lot of what America's Angel was talking about on the page 5 farming guide, and it seemed that one of the quirks to tanker farming is the ample use of procs. While this probably does leave the potential for future nerfs, for now it should work.

I am leveling up my character now, but it will take a few days at least to get it up and running, I will report back when I get to play around with it on a farm. 

8DFA4E09-0B45-4190-941C-B7DE03FD7962.png

<Witch> of Everlasting

<Mythical Creature> of Excelsior
Global Name: @Mythical Creature
"Monsters are real and they look like people." - Unknown

Farming tends to come in two forms: afk and active.

For afk farming, you really want to be able to put a single ability on auto-fire and just rely on passive damage sources. Abilities like Rage or Hasten are useless since you've only got a single auto-fire power and it has to be an AE damage ability.

For active farming, +damage abilities are (mostly) useless because you're converting all your inspiration drops to reds and chewing them to the damage cap anyway.

So I don't see how Rad/SS would be a worthwhile approach to farming.

• 3 weeks later
  • 4 weeks later

Earth/MA for active and something ?/rad with atom smasher on auto for auto farming. Brutes still can but the speed ones are s/l now. Tanks can be s/l immune and have higher target caps so /mu to chain aoes with Dragon tail procced. 

I have farmed many times with a Rad/SS and a Bio/SS Tanker. Yes they can be effective with enough procs in the build. Footstomp, Dark Obliteration and Rad therapy with GZ when it is up can clear trash fast. Drag the bosses to next group. Bio is better for bosses.

It was never as fast as a fire Brute though.

A SS/Rad Brute will only lose a little AoE vs a Tanker with footstomp hitting 10 instead of 16. But the Brute will hit harder usually.

I still farm on my ss/fire brute from when this game came back up.  It was my farmer on live as well.  It still does fine.  Get killed a bit here and there if not paying attention just a bit more than before the "nerfs", which I still don't get what it does with farming.  Also, very rarely ever farm anymore at all.  Only if I make a new toon and wanna skip to 27 or something for IO slots.   I'm sure a fire/ or /rad SS tank would be just fine too.

Edited by Thrax
Grammar

2 hours ago, Thrax said:

I still farm on my ss/fire brute form when this fired back up.  It still does fine.  Get killed a bit here and there if not paying attention just a bit more than before the "nerfs", which I still don't get what it does with farming.  Also, very rarely ever farm anymore at all.  Only if I make a new toon and wanna skip to 27 or something for IO slots.   I'm sure a fire/ or /rad SS tank would be just fine too.

The difference that I see is that you now have 20 or so foes firing ranged attacks at you while the normal 16 or so are in melee. Tanks are better farmers now. Lot of brutes don't have the regen to survive and their max damaged buff was nerfed. The go to farmers get defeated when they run into the middle of an AFK farm (Spine/Fire, Rad/Fire Brutes).

14 hours ago, Senkan said:

The difference that I see is that you now have 20 or so foes firing ranged attacks at you while the normal 16 or so are in melee. Tanks are better farmers now. Lot of brutes don't have the regen to survive and their max damaged buff was nerfed. The go to farmers get defeated when they run into the middle of an AFK farm (Spine/Fire, Rad/Fire Brutes).

I do the tunnel map and it’s easy to get just 1-3 groups instead of a million. And columns let you get them closer. It’s still easy. I don’t afk farm either, but never did.  Barely active farm but it’s still easy. 

Edited by Thrax
Grammar again lol.

1 hour ago, Thrax said:

I do the tunnel map and it’s easy to get just 1-3 groups instead of a million. And columns let you get them closer. It’s still easy. Is don’t afk farm either. Badly active farm but it’s still easy. 

^---this. 

I, too, run the "Big Mobs" Tunnel fire farm (by Big Gotter) with my old but trusty Spines/Fire Broot.  Go three groups ahead and come back to a column.  Very tanker-ish herding technique mitigates the "stand around and lob fireballs at you" mobs.  Still dual-box by dragging one of my Inv/SS tanks with Foot Stomp on auto.  Very clearly not the greatest farmer, but can run that map in about 14 - 15 min.

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present