Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse

Official Trailer #2

Spoiler
  • Nice reference to the MCU Doctor Strange, Tom Holland Spider-Man, and the whole shebang in Spider-Man: No Way Home.
  • Please tell me Jefferson Davis isn't going to die in this.  The dynamic between father and son in the first movie was absolutely fantastic. I'd much rather have JD learn of his son's alter-ego, and struggle to come to terms with it, especially since he assumes the new Spider-Man killed his brother.
  • 1:33 - did they draw Gwen's Peter Parker to look like Tom Holland?

Definitely looking forward to this. One of the best Spidey-incarnations going.

Spoiler

So many nice art touches - like when his mother snaps at him, it's the Puerto Rican flag - and all the tiny captions showing up again.

I have a feeling The Spot is gonna be important somehow as a hole in the world.

We have no fate but what we make? Just because everyone else has that tragedy doesn't mean YOU have to. Or does it...?

"The kid from Earth-19999"🤣

Who is Gwen going to choose?

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

11 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Definitely looking forward to this. One of the best Spidey-incarnations going.  (Orange responses)

Hide contents

So many nice art touches - like when his mother snaps at him, it's the Puerto Rican flag - and all the tiny captions showing up again.

Oh wow!  That was so fast I missed it and had to slow the video down.  That's a great effect.  Also, animation or not, she is waaay too young looking and far too few wrinkles for being both a mom and a nurse of her late 30's early 40s.  She looks more like 24.

I have a feeling The Spot is gonna be important somehow as a hole in the world.

Interesting. Until this comment I really couldn't see how the Spot fits into this.  I was taking his presence like Condiment King to Batman: something so off-the-wall wacky that the hero is not entirely prepared to handle it.

We have no fate but what we make? Just because everyone else has that tragedy doesn't mean YOU have to. Or does it...?

Miles has already had two tragedies: the death of his first hero, Peter Parker, and the death of his family hero, his uncle.  I'm not sure why it would be necessary to extend the execution list.

"The kid from Earth-19999"🤣 

Yep, love that angry Miguel calls him "little nerd".

Who is Gwen going to choose?

That's the thing with a Spider-verse:  It's entirely possible that Gwen may make a sacrificial play, ending herself, but a near duplicate would arise.  Many near-duplicates may arise. However, Miles would find that it's not the same as having the original Gwen around.

Some thoughts:

Spoiler

Maybe someone can clarify something for me - it's been a while since I watched Into the Spiderverse, but I thought all the different Spider-people arrived as a result of Kingpin trying to find a universe in which his kid and/or wife were still alive.  Is there a Spider-Gwen, Noir, etc in Miles' own 'verse as well, (or their unpowered equivalents)?

1 hour ago, biostem said:

Some thoughts:

Hide contents

Maybe someone can clarify something for me - it's been a while since I watched Into the Spiderverse, but I thought all the different Spider-people arrived as a result of Kingpin trying to find a universe in which his kid and/or wife were still alive.  Is there a Spider-Gwen, Noir, etc in Miles' own 'verse as well, (or their unpowered equivalents)?

Happy to help...

Spoiler

You are correct, Kingpin's tampering punched a hole in the multiverse and Miles sealed it. 

There is the potential for certain characters in Miles' universe.  It may or may not create a "reality" within Miles' universe.  So there is the potential that there is a Gwen Stacy somewhere in Miles' universe, but because in a Marvel multiverse details can be scrambled, Gwen may be powered or unpowered, older, younger, not born yet, from a different era, a guy, have one parent that's different, a different ethnicity, living on a different continent, black hair, 2 meters tall...any number of other variations.  Usually though, in a multiverse, the universes nearest in alignment to the one in question have the most in common with it.

That said, Gwen is an example of microscopic-level changes.  Noir is an example of macroscopic-level changes.  His universe has no color (except now for the Rubics cube) and everything in his universe is stuck in a pulp-fiction, dieselpunk format.  Those are examples of macro changes, where everything is affected.  Noir is a Peter Parker, but he's much older than the other versions we've seen.  That's a micro-level change.  Because Noir's universe has macroscopic differences, there is no Noir Spiderman in Miles' universe, though because Noir is a Peter Parker, he does have a parallel in Miles' universe, the late Peter Parker (with blond hair).

Peter Porker is another example of a macroscopic change.  His universe is a cartoon universe, and is further defined by cartoon physics and talking animals. And just like Noir, because macro-level changes are in play, there's no pig with spider and cartoon powers as a natural member of Miles' universe.  Peter Porker's equivalent was the late Peter Parker.

Now that is all a discussion about Miles' universe.  The thing about a multiverse is, unless the story creators limit the number of parallel universes (this was done in the Jet Li movie The One), then the very nature of a limitless multiverse states that somewhere out there IS a universe identical to Miles' colorful universe in every respect except one: there is a black-and-white Noir Spider-man in it.  Likewise, you'll eventually find one identical to Miles' world except it has a cartoon pig with spider powers.  And yet again, there's one identical to Miles' world but that it has both a Noir Spider-man and a cartoon Spider-Ham as part of its natural residents.  But usually thinking this far into a multiverse tends to give one a headache.

Based solely on the trailers for the new movie, it sounds like one of the spider-folk, aware of the multiverse, or spider-verse, has designed technology that allows a meeting area between universes, and has been inviting spider-folk to access it.  Spider-Gwen, remembering Miles, has opened a portal to his world to invite him to join the rest.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later

So, the movie is here. And where to begin, at least without spoilers.

Well, for one thing... Good Goddess, y'all.

...it's gorgeous. The light. The styles. The fluidity. The motion. The emotion.

There's as much or more love, detail, and in-jokes packed into every frame as the original.

On with the spoilers...

Spoiler
  • Then we gotta talk about what the movie has to say. Not just about fate, hope, and the supposedly ironclad nature of "canon events" - a slight winking nod at the angrier end of the fandom that's been mutated into a doom-laden plot point...
  • ...but about family, friendship, and whether or not you want to be part of something larger at the expense of losing a portion of your own identity and freedom.
  • Then there's the richness of it. The details. The characters new and old, including Pav, Jess Drew, Hobart the Spider-Punk (go Dan!), dozens of other Spider-Men, Spider-Women and Spider-Kids of all shapes and sizes... 
  • ...and Spider-Cat. Which is kind of a nice in-joke for Playstation fans, and the web-hairball gag slays.
  • Best of all, joy of joys, an actual decent, well-drawn antagonist in Oscar Isaac. You can't quite call Miguel/2099 a villain, because he's doing the right thing by his own lights. And he's quite sympathetic, since he's motivated by the guilt of losing not just his adopted alt-family but their entire universe due to actions borne out of love. But he is, notably, the only Spidey with zero sense of humour and a penchant for major collateral damage.
  • Isaac is a standout in a stellar voice cast. Pretty much everyone from ITSV is back, plus the instantly recognisable tones of JK Simmons and Alfred Molina.
  • There's even some live-action Spideys and villains - with the notable exception of Holland (which may have given rise to another killer gag at his expense).
  • If I have a complaint - and this is slightly my own fault for not having read the trade papers...
    ...it's not the whole movie. Lord and Miller did warn everybody it was being split into two flicks, but dammit, I'm gonna HATE waiting for 2024 for the ending.
  • Especially as they've telegraphed the next movie. Spoiler within spoiler ahead:
  • Spoiler

Where Miles ends up on Earth-42 - the universe without a Spider-Man - his father is already dead. Without Dad around, that universe's Miles instead turned to guidance from Dodgy Uncle Aaron. I'm not sure I'm happy that having been subtle and intriguing for the first two movies, they then turn around and lay it on with a trowel about the "what ifs" about parental guidance, family love, nature v nurture, yadda yadda, not to mention the hideously tired old trope about the final boss of your life is to defeat a shadow version of yourself.

REALLY?

I'm hoping they'll be better than that and turn round and surprise us - and so far, they damn well have.

So all that said - seriously, why are you still here reading this? Go see. Enjoy.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

7 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

So, the movie is here.

...it's gorgeous. The light. The styles. The fluidity. The motion. The emotion.

There's as much or more love, detail, and in-jokes packed into every frame as the original.

It's going to be a few days before I can go, but I've already been hearing statements like "greatest Spider-Man movie ever" and even "greatest superhero movie ever".   (I tend to think the latter is a lot more subjective, but we'll see...)

For me, if the story is solid, if the ending lands well, if the writing provides impactful characters, then they can use stick figures in crayon on flip pages, and I'd watch it.  That it is also "gorgeous", is delicious icing on the foundation of a great cake.  I don't know why Hollywood so often doesn't get this: solid writing is the foundation of everything in movie making.  I would have thought the contrast between Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan would have made them realize this, but here we are, 40+ years later...

I'm glad the reports are so positive, though.  The first movie was a treasure.  It deserved a solid follow-up, and it sounds like they not only matched it, but possibly exceeded it.