Mini guide for running Mids' Reborn v3.5.6 under Ubuntu (and likely other Linux distros)

Rarog

The latest (at the moment of writing) version of Mids gave me a lot of trouble in Ubuntu 23.04 including consistently crashing my GNOME session under Wayland (under X11 it just pops a dialog complaining about missing dotnet runtime — looks like dotnet shims and Wayland are quite at odds, but I digress). If anyone else faces similar issues, here's what I did to get it to work:

1. Download the dotnet runtime Mids depends on. For version 3.5.6 that would be https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/thank-you/runtime-desktop-6.0.16-windows-x64-installer
  2. Run the downloaded executable within the wine prefix you'll be using Mids from. If you're going to use your default prefix, the required shell command would look something akin to this: wine Downloads/windowsdesktop-runtime-6.0.16-win-x64.exe
  3. Run wine dotnet "The\\Path\\To\\Mids\\Installation\\MidsReborn.dll" (⚠️ yes, the .dll and not the .exe; also notice the double forward slashes) in terminal or put it in a .desktop file

That should hopefully be it.

Edited by Rarog

• 5 months later

This didn't work for me, but what did work is doing all of this through Lutris. I created a new game -> name it Mids Reborn -> install from media -> choose the dotnet runtime you linked in step 1 -> proceed with install. Then, download the zip archive of Mids Reborn and extract it -> right click on the Mids Reborn I just created in Lutris, click "Configure" -> Game Options tab, set "Executable" to the MidsReborn.exe (full path, wherever you extracted the zip). It works perfectly. I am running Debian 12 / bookworm.

• Like 1

• 1 month later
On 10/20/2023 at 8:36 PM, Weatherwoman said:

This didn't work for me, but what did work is doing all of this through Lutris. I created a new game -> name it Mids Reborn -> install from media -> choose the dotnet runtime you linked in step 1 -> proceed with install. Then, download the zip archive of Mids Reborn and extract it -> right click on the Mids Reborn I just created in Lutris, click "Configure" -> Game Options tab, set "Executable" to the MidsReborn.exe (full path, wherever you extracted the zip). It works perfectly. I am running Debian 12 / bookworm.

Followed what was done here, and got it working in Lutris on pop_os.

Psicy Chill - Ice/Psi/Psi | Sive Ni Brielan - Plant/Earth/Fire | Elemental Elder Lord - Earth/Fire/Fire | Selinia Baneheart - Dark/Therm/Fire | Mylia Stenetch - Necro/Dark/Soul | Radiated Shot - Rad/Arch/Mace | Nameless Witch - Storm/Water/Mu | Phantom Racer - Fire/Cold/Scorp | Neera Darkspar - Beam/Temp/Soul | Neera Etra - Dark/SR | Shieldbreaker - Elec/Shield/Mu | Frozen Tombstress Ice/Rad/Ice | Subliminal Darkness - Psi/Dark/Psi | Mirana Darkblade - Katana/Regen/Soul | Máistir Fiach - SoA Huntmaster | Night Reaver - SoA Widow | Sweet Senpai - SoA Bane

• 3 weeks later