GForce RTX 2080 Fan Cycling

ChzBoi

Hi - After a few updates ago, my GForce RTX 2080 will start to cycle from low to 'as fast as possible', staying at each extreme for 5 to 8 seconds before ramping the other direction. It will start once I load into any zone or mission instance. It will always ramp down if I go to the load screen or character select. And this will happen right away, regardless of location, character FX, etc. 

I've tested with other games (Path Of Exile) and even other CoH distributions (Rebirth). I can play for hours in those games and the fan is fine.

I also loaded MSI Afterburner to try and set a fan speed, but when HC loads, it seems to override any setting I make. 

If anyone has any advice or guidance - it's much appreciated! ChzBoi

EDIT : correction - it now does it the moment I load into character select. Wife is gonna kick me out of the room soon! 🙂

Edited by ChzBoi

Check out the thread below, some opted to replace the Card to fix issues but several on page 2 found replacing the Thermal Paste corrected it, read on....and good hunting.

Resolved - Fan 1 Sudden High RPM at 80C - RTX 2080 Ti XC - EVGA Forums

Edited by Marine X

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

• Developer

I had this issue a long time ago where Ambient Occlusion settings being max'ed were the problem on my 1070.

hc_sig copy.jpg

There comes a time in which all stories must come to an end. It's a shame, hero, that you and your people aren't writing the end of yours. We've taken it upon ourselves to be the author of this universe's story, and your chapter will be added to the ever-growing story of how we dictated the path for all life.

• 5 months later

......It's been awhile and I finally got a chance/time to look into this!...Let me just say thanks to all that have responded! You all rock!

On 5/22/2023 at 4:26 PM, Captain Fabulous said:

Turn on V-sync

...tried first....alas, did not work.....fans still were at a constant super-speed.....and I did not notice any difference when I did - I wonder what it should visibly do?

On 5/22/2023 at 7:06 PM, The Caretaker said:

I had this issue a long time ago where Ambient Occlusion settings being max'ed were the problem on my 1070.

...tried second....again, did not work, but did notice a visual change.......for me, the video card again stayed at a constant super-speed!....

On 5/22/2023 at 10:34 AM, Marine X said:

Check out the thread below, some opted to replace the Card to fix issues but several on page 2 found replacing the Thermal Paste corrected it, read on....and good hunting.

Resolved - Fan 1 Sudden High RPM at 80C - RTX 2080 Ti XC - EVGA Forums

.......SUCCESS!!.....purchased some "Arctic Silver 5" from Amazon......and took apart the video card's heat sink : so very little paste! - barely covered the GPU....so new paste was added, plus I re-did the the heat sink on the CPU........it's been running nice and quiet ever since.

.....What I find interesting, is that I could play for hours on "Rebirth' with no fan speed change. But the moment I switched to 'Homecoming' or 'ThunderSpy', the fan would go to top speed, once I logged in - the moment a character was visible in-game.....

......Anywho - many thanks to @Marine X for providing the solution to my issue - you might have just saved a marriage!! 🙂 (or at the very least, saved me from moving my set-up to another room/house/city!)

• Thumbs Up 2