Kallisti Apartments [OOC]

Terminal

Kallisti Apartments

Hello and welcome all to the spiritual successor to the Whitmoore Apartments. For those of you not familiar: The Whitmoore Apartments was a character-driven slice-of-life and daily routine RP thread which, over time, spawned half a dozen or so spin-off series and evolved over time to contains far too many self-contained story arcs to succinctly recount. Here is a link to Whitmoore Wiki if you are interested in learning more about it.

Here are some basic ground rules for how this should all work:

• Keep the RP in Kallisti. It's ok if you go to other zones/areas for one-off missions, but for the sake of locality, try to keep everything nearby.
  • Keep it real, use the Ham sparingly. This is a slice-of-life RP thread. You can have your big end-of-the-world plot if you want it, but build up to it slowly. This is a character plot thread, not a story driven one.
  • Related to the above: The Grand Inaugural Ceremony for One Statesman Plaza occurred on 8/31/2012. Ceremonies went smoothly and absolutely nothing else interesting happened.
  • Please no power tripping or god-moding. Combat between characters should be more constructive and collaborative than anything else. Speak frequently and often with other posters involved in the same fight.
  • Keep the melodrama IC. Do not get into heated arguments or debates in the OPEN in the OOC. Take it to PMs, or else contact me or the site moderators to resolve disputes.
  • Related to the above: Don't take it personally, act professionally. Most conflicts between *posters* tend to grow from amidst misunderstanding and mistaken impressions. Stay connected and speak frequently with other posters to head off OOC melodrama.
  • If there should be a huge posting spree or narrative gap anywhere, especially between characters: Assume time dilation is in effect. This is not a literal rule, it's just a rule of thumb: Keep going with what there is, don't give up just because you missed something, or several somethings. There can be a reasonable explanation for most things.

With that out of the way, let's now briefly discuss the zone of Kallisti Wharf. Below you will see a big map of the zone. I have marked out sites of particular interest which are not already listed on the in-game map, I trust that everyone here with access to the zone can find everything else there is on their own. Note, there are several interesting sites which I have gone out of my way to not point out, since I want to leave aspects of the Zone open for collaborative world-building. These are just the sites which I have pre-defined in order to stave off egregious weirdness or because they would logically already have their own specifically intended purpose.

91a0dcf6-c2f5-4460-9c41-7dc6aaa87d72.png

Some brief notation on the points of interest above, from top to bottom, skipping over the apartments (covered later).

• The Vanguard Administrative HQ is so demarked solely because it has a Vanguard Helicopter and Warden parked up-top.
  • The Crey Corporate Towers, with names ripped straight out of Lord of the Rings because it was funny at the time, have actual Crey Corp. logos down at the main entrance. Also these things are stupidly huge, and Ecthelion may actually be as big or bigger than the Statesman building.
  • There's this weirdly obvious military encampment with tents, trucks, and weapon racks just out in the open in this very obviously public park. In order to avoid weirdness, I'm heading it all off by saying it's basically a Vanguard temporary transitional R&R site.
  • The Kallisti Wharf Paragon Police Department Precinct. It exists. That is all.

And now we move onto the Apartments and also the Zone's co-op functionality. Some more basic rules:

• Arachnos has a provisional embassy over in Old Sloan, their presence in Kallisti Wharf was sponsored and is vouched for by Vanguard and the Lady Grey, absolutely nobody else was thrilled about it, but it's a thing now.
  • The Arbiters all have Diplomatic Immunity, do not even touch them unless you want trouble.
  • Villains based out of the Sloan apartments, either by way of Arachnos patronage, blackmail, or devious schemes, have official status as diplomatic attaches. Within the confines of the zone, they cannot be attacked or arrested except in self defense or in order to prevent an ongoing crime. Yes, even if they are otherwise inexcusably evil supervillains guilty of genocide. They do not have the same diplomatic immunity as the Arbiters, but you still generally shouldn't attack them unless provoked.
  • The Sloan Apartments are technically Sovereign Territory. If you want to drag out villains hiding in there, you need to have them extradited. This is not easy.
  • Paragon City Rule of Law applies throughout the zone otherwise (but the KWPPD may have, shall we say, response issues trying to get anything done over in Old Sloan).

Without further ado, the apartments and their features:

Christie Apartments

For Heroes, Vigilantes, and Other-Aligned Parties

b511bc37-781c-4448-b18a-f3702fd37a7f.png

Christie Apartments were built as part of a subsidized Goverment Housing Project in order to provide free housing to officially registered and licensed heroes of Paragon City (although the registry database has never been the most secure). The building was specifically designed to handle the ensuing security and family matters that would likely develop.

• Has 15 Floors and 3 Basement Levels
  • Floor 1 has Reception, Management, a Day-Care, a 24-Hours Grocers & Pharmacy. All are resident-restricted for security purposes.
  • Floors 2-14 hold 20 apartments per-floor, in various states of repair. All of them have working utilities, but may or may not be furnished.
  • Individual rooms do not have balconies or fire escapes, again for security reasons. Blame the Sky Raiders.
  • Floor 15 is a penthouse level, with 6 private penthouse suites.
  • Basement Floor 1 has a laundromat, an indoor-pool, and a gym - all resident-restricted.
  • Basement Floor 2 has a large vehicle hangar, accompanied with bulk teleport pads and discrete street-level access ramps.
  • Basement Floor 3 has a Secure Resident Vault and Emergency Saferoom.
  • Has its own private parking lot out front.
  • The entrances are secured by Police Drones, and the PPD has undercover security working in and around the Apartment grounds.
  • Mr. Line is the general manager and superintendent for Christie Apartments.

Sloan Apartments

For Villains, Rogues, and Other Aligned-Parties

8bab3ebe-ab1e-4a89-b647-40495e960d27.png

The Sloan Apartments were part of an early and now abandoned redevelopment project by Paragon City in Old Sloan. It has the questionable distinction of being the single largest building in Old Sloan, and also being the site of Arachnos' provisional embassy. The building is not as large or extravagant as the Christie Apartments, but its features are of greater interest to its potentially nefarious inhabitants.

• Has 17 Floors and 3 Basement Levels
  • Floor 1 holds the Arachnos Embassy proper and its offices. This is a high-security area and unless you are a diplomatic attache or have the consent of Arbiter Khai, you have no business being here.
  • Floors 2-12 hold 8 apartments per floor. They are roomier than the apartments in Christie, but there are no free utilities and everything you can get legally tends to be monitored or metered by Arachnos.
  • As with Christie, individual rooms do not have balconies or fire escapes.
  • Floors 13-17 are all extravagant one-floor penthouse suites.
  • Basement Floor 1 has a haunted laundromat, which pulls triple-duty as an Arachnoid hive and as a staging ground for the Circle of Thorns since there is a crack in the wall leading into Oranbega.
  • Basement Floor 2 has a third-party operated, private high-security series of vaults, which can be bought or leased and freely modified.
  • Basment Floor 3, not listed on the blueprints and officially not existing, is a series of twisting secret passageways and tunnels. These connect not only to the various warehouses around Old Sloan, but also to the Paragon City Sewer Network and Abandoned Sewer Network - which is not accessible from the Western side of Kallisti Wharf.
  • Do not park out front, turn your head for a second and it'll be gone.
  • Directly behind the building is power-plant substation grid, which can be readily and illegally tapped into for unlimited power draw. It keeps the War-Walls going, so yes, it has enough to charge up your death laser.
  • The entrances, rooftop access, and the laundromat demilitarized zone are all guarded by Arbiter Drones. Unlike the friendlier Police Drones, these do not teleport you to a penitentiary cell. These disintegrate you at the quantum level. You have been warned.
  • Arbiter Khai is in charge of everything. His word is the word of Lord Recluse and therefore law within the scant confines of the apartments. Anger him at your peril.

I will maintain here, at the bottom of the OOC main page, a list of answers to particularly insightful or usefully directed questions. And with that, let the OOC and treacherous idle chatter commence.

Which villain groups do you imagine are local to KW?

Answer: My personal headcanon is that Old Sloan is plagued by the Circle of Thorns, the Devouring Earth, the Nemesis Army, and the Freakshow, with non-aggressive Arachnos personnel leering angrily at you here and there. Meanwhile, Christie is constantly under siege by Crey Corporate Security, the Council, the Tsoo, and the Sky Raiders. Non-aggressive members of the PPD and Longbow can also both be found here, and Vanguard maintains a small presence in select areas. But this is by no means definitive.

Who do we talk to about noise complaints/strange smells/people pounding on the walls at all hours?

Answer: At Christie Apartments, talk to Mr. Line. As the building manager and superintendent, it is literally his job to handle that sort of thing. At Sloan Apartments, speak with Arbiter Khai. It is far, far, FAR and away NOT his job to deal with ANY of that, but if there is a problem of that nature so extreme that you cannot handle it yourself, he's probably the only authority short of Divine Intervention that can help you. 

Thanks for setting this up.  Kinda rusty at this, so was waiting to see someone else post, set the tone, etc, but finally decided to post it.  First post may be kinda long & a bit goofy for this format (sorry).  I'd imagined making phone conversations with Tabby's P.O. into macro-ed in-game chatter in tribute to Ascendant once, but seemed to work a bit for her intro here.

Some BG info on Tabby from her "internet infamy"

- she has a "following" on the net, but more of the troll-type than follower.  You may have seen the memes, "Spay and neuter your catgirl" was quite popular, as was the "hang in there" pic taken when she almost didn't make that cross-building leap.  Think of any cat meme, and there's probably a catgirl meme variant with her image on it.  Make one up and I'll even play along.

- The  "tastes like victory" video clip (heavily edited clips of her eating a pizza, fighting council, and saying the title phrase, coupled with the infamous "I'll have what she's having" meme hit "Gangnam Style" numbers.    The pizza joint represented in the clip even capitalized in on the meme, changing its box art to include a cartoon catgirl saying the title phrase.  Tabby has NOT seen it yet.

- There's even a "tabby tracker" subsite on the "naughty neko" fansite that gives out weekly pizza coupon codes for the best pic uploaded.

- she's working off community service hours with a caseworker, and those with access to police records will know they ranged from many MANY multiple vehicle offenses to vandalism and desecration of a church to the near death of a police officer (later dropped).  Those without access to police records can still find tons of forums speculating on what she did to get "locked in juvie" for 4 whole years... many of them much more colorful.

-

Not a problem Chase, and welcome to the RP. I have a character or two of my own to introduce, but like you I was sort of waiting for other parties to jump in.

If you are looking for anything for Tabithia to get up to in the near/nearish future, I have a few ideas that can possibly springboard off of our tragically maligned viral internet sensation's fish-out-of-water situation.

Thanks,

I just like seeing where the story goes.

I'm open to anything aside from a romantic arc. My wife has a character that'll someday be Tabby's match, but Tabby has some growing to do first.

Tabby's current mindset is that any human male that's attracted cross species to catgirls is a freak with a capital F, and she can point to hundreds of internet posts to back that claim.  As for catguys.... She's totally not into furries.

Thanks,

I just like seeing where the story goes.

I'm open to anything aside from a romantic arc. My wife has a character that'll someday be Tabby's match, but Tabby has some growing to do first.

Tabby's current mindset is that any human male that's attracted cross species to catgirls is a freak with a capital F, and she can point to hundreds of internet posts to back that claim.  As for catguys.... She's totally not into furries.

I plan to have an opening post mentioning you up later today.

Some context for what just happened, in case anybody is unfamiliar:

On Redside, tip missions in the 40s-50s range reveal that Flambeaux went from a Hero to a Rogue, and since then, she's become something of an attention-seeking drama queen, and spends most of her time scheming for public attention and also incidentally getting the snot beaten out of her by actual villains out to teach her a lesson in complacency. One of these sordid affairs involved an attempt by Flambeaux to host a party starring herself and several Nemesis Automaton copies of herself she managed to acquire, you can probably imagine how that ended.

If anybody wants to barge in on the large fellow in the jacket with the glasses, feel free to do so.

Some context for what just happened, in case anybody is unfamiliar:

On Redside, tip missions in the 40s-50s range reveal that Flambeaux went from a Hero to a Rogue, and since then, she's become something of an attention-seeking drama queen, and spends most of her time scheming for public attention and also incidentally getting the snot beaten out of her by actual villains out to teach her a lesson in complacency. One of these sordid affairs involved an attempt by Flambeaux to host a party starring herself and several Nemesis Automaton copies of herself she managed to acquire, you can probably imagine how that ended.

If anybody wants to barge in on the large fellow in the jacket with the glasses, feel free to do so.

Perfect.  I'd name-dropped Flambeaux mostly because she's so attention-seeking, she seemed a perfect foil for someone that gets all the attention Flambeaux craves, and wants NONE OF IT. 

Is Tabby up to having room mates? Because I would love to introduce her to my bartender/roller derby/community college attending semi-hero. No romance, Smashley is strictly into biker boys (for now).

Tabby's spent the past 4 years in an all-girls boarding school... the type for behavioral adjustment that the rich send their out of cotnrol brats too (Tabby was "sponsored")  Her relationship with roommates- and many girls her age could be considered... catty... at best.  "Insane" Mary Zane was the exception- more of an arch-nemesis there.  She is REALLY looking forward to having her own place...

She's also broke, desperate, probably didn't read the lease agreement thoroughly in her desperation to catch that little caveat, and that's perfectly consistent with the way her life goes.

Do it.

Edited to add a pic of Tabby in "disguise."  Close enough, but imagine it even bulkier.

Her preferred "attire" is far more... natural... (see below).  but she feels like she's got to cover up to go unnoticed.  Like nobody would question someone the size of a 10 year old dressed like a diva's terrible disguise...

tabby.jpg

Tabby suffers from a form of tactile sensitivity.  The nerve endings at the base of her hairs are sensitive enough that subtle shifts in wind can alert her to an attack she can't see... if she lets it.  Tight clothing not only dulls that sense but leaves her feeling slowly squeezed from all sides.  Loose clothing can be better until it rubs the wrong way at the wrong time.  She tried a huge buraq once- with a bell-shaped wireframe holding the whole thing out several inches out from her body.  It... went poorly.    The clumsiness is only partly from wearing "too loose" garb and also from dealing with the constant distraction. 

Small response up.

For those of you who do not know - there is an interior Invention Lab/University in Kallisti Wharf, which is marked on the map. As far as universities go, it is honestly rather small. But it exists.

Small response up.

For those of you who do not know - there is an interior Invention Lab/University in Kallisti Wharf, which is marked on the map. As far as universities go, it is honestly rather small. But it exists.

It's Tabby's usual logout point.

Small response up.  Still plotting something to continue the $500,000... wait $500,000,000 thread.

For what it's worth- I don't know if there's a RP standard, but I tend to share Tabby's inner thoughts in ** for two purposes-

- in case anyone plays telepaths, those are always surface thoughts available to you.

- Tabby's a terrible liar, and subtle body cues- twitches, fur bristling, ears flattening, whiskers curling out, tonal inflections etc, will often betray the difference between what she SAYS and what she may mean.  Sometimes I may not reference the actual cue, but you can assume there are some cues available to anyone looking for them.

It's Tabby's usual logout point.

Small response up.  Still plotting something to continue the $500,000... wait $500,000,000 thread.

For what it's worth- I don't know if there's a RP standard, but I tend to share Tabby's inner thoughts in ** for two purposes-

- in case anyone plays telepaths, those are always surface thoughts available to you.

- Tabby's a terrible liar, and subtle body cues- twitches, fur bristling, ears flattening, whiskers curling out, tonal inflections etc, will often betray the difference between what she SAYS and what she may mean.  Sometimes I may not reference the actual cue, but you can assume there are some cues available to anyone looking for them.

That's fine, but don't feel like you have to chase it. That stone is already rolling downhill, and there are a few IC hours before it is going to come up again.

Another small response coming soon.

For our purposes, Flambeaux is going to be classified as a Rogue so that the Police Drones do not just zap her on-sight. A wannabe like her is not going to have any kind of dispensation from Arachnos.  :P

To be clear: Tabby's only concern with police-drone zapping Flambeaux would be whether she got her $50 before the zap or not.

Now, if Flambeaux is clever enough to use fear of the police drones to draw Tabby out to a more photogenic spot that would better hilight her features... that's another thing.

That's perfectly fine. The only issue with the post was taking one of the Penthouses, but it was justified since, as was stated, there are a lot of them there.

Mr. Line's secret obsession is noted, even if it shall never know the light of day. :E

Hey @TheBlindGirl, welcome to the roleplay.

Would it be ok for one of my Villain's henchmen to knock on your character's door with a job offer?

They would call her cellphone except, you know. It's out of power.  :P

Please do. I was gonna have her come to him originally, but my first draft sounded super annoying and after deleting that I decided to just post the first bit that I liked and leave it at that.

EDIT: Reading the response, it occurs to me that all indication of my character's name and powers were in the part I deleted. Oops.

@BlindGirl, feel free to have your character just get straight into the limo without having to knock or anything if she so chooses. Just so we can cut out the unnecessary intermediate steps.

@chase, I posted a response for you earlier, not sure if you have seen it. Feel prefectly free to timeskip ahead to later in Tabitha's day if that's convenient for you.

Is Tabby up to having room mates? Because I would love to introduce her to my bartender/roller derby/community college attending semi-hero. No romance, Smashley is strictly into biker boys (for now).

Tabby's spent the past 4 years in an all-girls boarding school... the type for behavioral adjustment that the rich send their out of cotnrol brats too (Tabby was "sponsored")  Her relationship with roommates- and many girls her age could be considered... catty... at best.  "Insane" Mary Zane was the exception- more of an arch-nemesis there.  She is REALLY looking forward to having her own place...

She's also broke, desperate, probably didn't read the lease agreement thoroughly in her desperation to catch that little caveat, and that's perfectly consistent with the way her life goes.

Do it.

Was thinking about this some more.  This is subsidized housing for heroes, and Tabby has a "sponsor" for starters, but nothing says that the sponsor would get her a whole apartment when she's arranging it. 

some options

1) more of a 'student off-campus' setup I see alot- common living room/kitchen with separate lockable bedrooms.  Tabby's sponsor got her one of the "free" rooms here without warning her that the other room could be leased out to anyone... you could already be there OR come at your discretion. 

2) Tabby subsidy isn't as much as she expected and she's in desperate need to find a roommate (just gotta speed a tad to her wanting to stay there more permanently, easy enough...).  She'll put up some highly neurotic roommate wanted sign at the university, and...

3) Something happens to the room and she needs another fast.  As it so happens, someone else is seeking a roommate. 

Thoughts?