Storm Blast needs help, bad.

DangerKitty

10 hours ago, Frozen Burn said:

The radius is the same as other "rain" powers, so no... not small.  And it follows you... slowly.  This is good and bad.  It's cool that acts like a pet and goes from mob to mob.  But having it despawn and not linger is good as it allows you to move through maps without aggroing everything.  Yes, it may suck to recast for long fights, but hanging out any longer, and it would be more annoying.

my storm cell doesnt aggro anything at all. did you put procs in it, maybe?

1 hour ago, schrodingercat said:

my storm cell doesnt aggro anything at all. did you put procs in it, maybe?

No, no procs.  And correct, it doesn't normally aggro things - except....

In trying to use it like a normal pet and let it follow you (as if it had a longer lifespan and recharge) you can run into some issues because it moves so slowly.  If you bypass/stealth past a mob and start attacking a 2nd mob while your storm cell is trying to catch up to you - if it is in aggro range of the first mob when you start attacking the 2nd, it could hit them with a lightning strike and aggro the 1st mob onto you.  Or sometimes, if you go to one side of the room, your storm cell goes to the other seeing a mob there.  You attack your mob, and it strikes the 2nd mob on other side of room.  Both scenarios have happened to me many times while I've tested out this unique set.

If there is a longer lifespan and longer recharge of Storm Cell - it would be harder to control when and where you use it.  Having a short recharge allows you to recast for the current mob you want to focus on as it will despawn the old Strom Cell.  Most fights are over in less than 30s.  The 60s duration allows for usage of ~2-3 fights, depending on their size and your speed of defeating and the speed of the Cell to keep up.  Or you, can recast for every fight to ensure it's always in place where you want it and not on another mob for potentially unwanted aggro from its lightning strikes.  

7 minutes ago, Frozen Burn said:

No, no procs.  And correct, it doesn't normally aggro things - except....

In trying to use it like a normal pet and let it follow you (as if it had a longer lifespan and recharge) you can run into some issues because it moves so slowly.  If you bypass/stealth past a mob and start attacking a 2nd mob while your storm cell is trying to catch up to you - if it is in aggro range of the first mob when you start attacking the 2nd, it could hit them with a lightning strike and aggro the 1st mob onto you.  Or sometimes, if you go to one side of the room, your storm cell goes to the other seeing a mob there.  You attack your mob, and it strikes the 2nd mob on other side of room.  Both scenarios have happened to me many times while I've tested out this unique set.

If there is a longer lifespan and longer recharge of Storm Cell - it would be harder to control when and where you use it.  Having a short recharge allows you to recast for the current mob you want to focus on as it will despawn the old Strom Cell.  Most fights are over in less than 30s.  The 60s duration allows for usage of ~2-3 fights, depending on their size and your speed of defeating and the speed of the Cell to keep up.  Or you, can recast for every fight to ensure it's always in place where you want it and not on another mob for potentially unwanted aggro from its lightning strikes.  

ah I see exactly what you mean, and I've had it do the same thing, too. As a defender, it's definitely not a fun time for me when this happens!! It's a shame too, because cold/storm lets me focus on storm blasting as mitigation through knockup (jet stream kb->kd) and amuse myself with my entertaining graphics. But the storm cell mechanic gets left behind on steamroll teams, and the final nuke is so impotent i may as well just proc slot sleet instead!

22 hours ago, KITANYA said:

Maybe they should make Storm Cell bigger and with less recycle time/cast time?

Isn't Storm Cell quite small in radius?

Eh, you should be slotting Storm Cell for recharge over damage before you get to IOs.  I had mine two slotted for recharge and it was up often enough that I didn't have to worry.

Now with a full IO build, it's up every 16.7s, which is plenty fast enough that I can re-summon and re-position if needed.

• Microphone 1

Everlasting's Actionette 

Also Wolfhound, Starwave, Blue Gale, Relativity Rabbit, and many more!

On 2/12/2024 at 5:41 AM, skoryy said:

Eh, you should be slotting Storm Cell for recharge over damage before you get to IOs.  I had mine two slotted for recharge and it was up often enough that I didn't have to worry.

Now with a full IO build, it's up every 16.7s, which is plenty fast enough that I can re-summon and re-position if needed.

Still isn't the area a tad small?

8 hours ago, KITANYA said:

Still isn't the area a tad small?

Not in my experience.  Mids has the lightning aura at 25 ft radius, which matches the radius on my rad blaster's Atomic Blast.

Everlasting's Actionette 

Also Wolfhound, Starwave, Blue Gale, Relativity Rabbit, and many more!

I've liked my Storm/Dev Blaster. Mainly because I play it, in teams ( SHOCK! ) Like a controller. I target forward on the MT and slap down Cell -> Trops and cast Jet Stream. Mobs on butts. Then I Chain L. rinse repeat. I'll web runners so the team can finish them.

It's not traditional, but it works for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I may have a great Idea; make storm blast a melee range set like dp basically is. Rename storm front to eye of the storm and make it an toggle aura centered on the player. You have to make it larger though.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/16/2024 at 12:43 PM, ivioin said:

I may have a great Idea; make storm blast a melee range set like dp basically is. Rename storm front to eye of the storm and make it an toggle aura centered on the player. You have to make it larger though.

Better yet, make storm a melee set altogether for melee AT's with a lightning sword.