Leveling a fire/dark corruptor

OxfordCalc

I seem to not quite get my fire/dark corruptor. I'm 15th lvl and very fragile. Just some whites and a yellow keep killing me. (Rescuing the girl in King's Row from the Skulls.)

Maybe playing an ill/rad controller on Thunderspy spoiled me (Phantasm at level 1.) Do low level corruptors need to play cautiously until I get some defenses? 

Here is the build,

Corruptor (Fire Blast - Dark Miasma).mbd

Early levels on a /dark can be a little rough because you are hurting for recharge to get your important powers available for each spawn. But once you can get tar patch and fearsome stare up often enough it should become a breeze.

The tactic is fairly simple: apply darkest night to something and retreat around a corner. Drop tar patch where you stand and wait for the mobs to group up in it. Step out and fearsome stare them, then attack with everything else. Rinse and repeat for most of the game.

Defences are good to have but you can do enough tohit debuff that you should be able to handle mobs that aren't too much over your level.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you do DFB only for the boosts (i.e. XP off) I think the defensive boosts will be something like 2% at level 15.

Without looking at the build, I think at levels 16 and 17 your fortunes should be able to shift, courtesy of Global Enhancements that can be slotted in Shadow Fall, specifically Gladiator's Armor and Steadfast Protection pieces that give Global Defense boosts, and (eventually) the Shield Wall 5% Global Resistance piece.

My Rad/Dark Corruptor (also still below level 20) occasionally runs into problems, mostly because of two effects:

• The attacks are somewhat slow, and usually require three casts to defeat a single even-level
  • The secondary (Dark) powers are also somewhat slow

The first bullet point is mitigated by visiting P2W and getting some prestige attacks. I wouldn't over-slot the primary attacks (three each, Accuracy, Endurance, Damage... if using sets, feel free to sprinkle in recharge). Aside from PVP sets most common %damage procs won't be available until level 20. The P2W %damage are only 2 PPM. Not nothing, and they boost damage IIRC, but not worth holding onto.

The second bullet is really only best addressed by 2-lotting Tar Patch for recharge. At low levels you could put a 3rd slot in Tar Patch (for more Recharge) but I'd just get used to it's timer as you level.

The build is a mess. First of all, I would look into getting some common IOs into your build as that is what I converted it over to, but you can slot in the DOs if you want, but they really aren't that cheap in the long run as you can remove the common IOs and slot them into any other character you make. Also, you can slot level 25 common IOs across your build and be fine even at level 50 until you can slot in higher sets.

I switched around the build for what I would be aiming for at level 15. Fire/dark is end heavy, and it won't really be resolved until you get IO sets and hit level 50. In terms of staying vertical, DN is your early security blanket. You also want Shadowfall next for its defense. 1 end, 3 Def on a basic level.

Corruptor (Fire Blast - Dark Miasma).mbd

Edited by Without_Pause

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Hi, 

I'm 18 now, mostly from a posi 2 TF. I am having more success. The major change is to be much more cautious. Pull carefully and run away when necessary. Shadowfall and Blaze also help. Watching my health and only casting Twilight Grasp when necessary conserves endurance. There's a quest in King's Row to rescue a council woman that I couldn't quite solo, but it did warn me to find help. 

The build is interesting. I need to do the quest for IOs at the university on this character. I'm not sure I would like the lack of recharge, but I guess it does give Flares. I took Hover because in my first Posi 1 TF, I kept getting knocked down. It does seem to use up a lot of endurance.  

I'll keep playing him. Thanks for all the replies. 

Getting the badges for level 15 and 25 common IOs are helpful, but a bit of a money sink in this version of the market. It will cut down on the cost of crafting them after you have the badge though. I'm still not sure the badges are that useful in today's game. Craft what you need and move on. You technically don't have to do the mission for it. The only real advantage is it gives you a free common IO.

In terms of end use, I'm not sure if you are talking Hover or Fly. Here's the break down

Hover: .195 end/sec.

Fly: 0.455 end/sec.

Compare those numbers to Flares.

End Cost:  3.692

Recharge Time: 2.18 seconds.

Attacks will default to always being more end hungry than your toggles.

Data: https://cod.uberguy.net/

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

• 3 weeks later

You can get your way thru Low lvls by Brute force, IE Blast blast blast.

Once you get to higher LvLs it becomes Tactics where you line Up the fight.

Prep the fight by dropping AOEs like Tar patch.

Then bring the pain AFTER reducing their To-Hit.

Win/Win 95% of the time