Teleport keybinds

Sable Phoenix

So, I think I remember there is some kind of keybind you can create which will allow you to hold down the shift button, without bringing up the Teleport targeting reticle, and just immediately activate Teleport when you click.  My current bind to do this is /bind LSHIFT+LBUTTON "powexec_name Teleport", but when I press Shift it just brings up the Teleport reticle, the same as if it was only /bind LSHIFT "powexec_name Teleport".  Functionally, there's no difference between the two binds that I can see.  What am I doing wrong, and what's the right bind?

I had that problem before too. I know EXACTLY what happened. You have bound "powexecname teleport" to the shift key only. There is no question this is the case because the reticle activates with just that shift button press. The click is simply a normal targeting click and not part of the bind at all!

In my case this heppened because I constantly confuse lbutton and lmouse and misbound it using lmouse. Your bind should work, I'm thinking maybe you had a brain fart and typed lmouse like I tend to. If you rebind it, it should work as desired. If you have any question about this happening, just save your bindings and look at the text file.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

My current bind to do this is /bind LSHIFT+LBUTTON "powexec_name Teleport"

IIRC the system doesn’t differentiate between left and right shift, the command is only SHIFT.

I have /bind SHIFT+LBUTTON “pow_exec_name Teleport”, which seems to work.

Edit: having checked the old Guide to Binds looks like I’m wrong about the LSHIFT/RSHIFT thing, the bind that I posted definitely works for me though.

Well, no matter whether I had it LSHIFT or SHIFT, doing any variation of the Shift-plus-click bind doesn't work as intended.  Just brings up the Teleport targeting circle.  CTRL+LBUTTON, however, works perfectly fine.  And luckily, I can bind that key combination to both Translocation and Teleport, and it works.

Still no idea why Shift doesn't, but whatever.

I guess I don’t understand the distinction here.  Why is the reticle an issue?  No matter how you slice it it’s still a.) a keystroke (CTRL or SHIFT), b.) Targeting with the mouse (even without the reticle, I am assuming you want to go where the mouse is positioned), and c.) Click the Left Mouse button

Is it just an asthetic thing?

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

It's an issue of feel and functionality.  First off, if you shift, bring up the reticle and then click, there's often a bit of a delay meaning you have to click again to teleport.  And that makes it easier to click on the same spot twice in a row, resulting in an immediate teleport to... the same place you just teleported.  It's also a lot easier to get the reticle hung up on odd surfaces, like the bottom of telephone lines, since it's got a bit of "stickiness" to it, for lack of a better word, and tends to snap to the nearest surface.

CTRL+CLICK just instantly fires off the teleport and sends you to where your cursor is pointing.  No muss, no fuss, no delay.

It's an issue of feel and functionality.  First off, if you shift, bring up the reticle and then click, there's often a bit of a delay meaning you have to click again to teleport.  And that makes it easier to click on the same spot twice in a row, resulting in an immediate teleport to... the same place you just teleported.  It's also a lot easier to get the reticle hung up on odd surfaces, like the bottom of telephone lines, since it's got a bit of "stickiness" to it, for lack of a better word, and tends to snap to the nearest surface.

CTRL+CLICK just instantly fires off the teleport and sends you to where your cursor is pointing.  No muss, no fuss, no delay.

Thank you!  That was a great explanation, and I have indeed been teleported to the exact same space.  I'm sold and going to update my binds as well...

+1 Inf

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting