Help with an Electric/Electric Controller build?

Frissy

I've only ever played blasters or scrappers before, so my first foray into a controller has been a bit of a headache. :< She's a Science Electric/Electric controller, and I've been picking her powers 'in order' for lack of any greater game knowledge. So far I'm level 9 and have Electric Fence, Shock, Tesla Cage, Rejuvenating Circuit, and Chain Fences. Is Electric Fence redundant with chain fences? Also I took Teleportation as my movement ability. I've been shoring up my lack of real offense skills with the Nemesis Staff (Origin Bonus) and an occasional Sands of Mu pummeling, but I know those drop off over time since you can't enhance them.

The only other topic I found on this subject is 3 years old and nobody could agree on anything, so I'm hoping maybe I can get some better wisdom here.. Halp ❤️

Controllers' inherent is Containment, that doubles most of their damage. Any critter that is affected by an immobilize, sleep, hold, or stun is considered "contained". So establishing Containment on critters as quickly as possible should be your priority. Electric Fence is a single target immobilize while Chain Fences is AoE. I personally don't consider them redundant because in order to contain bosses you need two applications of a status effect, meaning you'll need both.

It depends greatly on the purpose of the build, but I could see skipping on one of the two Fence powers. Some might make the case to skip Static Field, but I found it useful. I would skip on the Rez in EA. Pretty much anything else I would at least try before deciding if you want to keep it in the end. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Elec/Elec is one of those combo's that can potentially end up doing no dmg unless you "fix" it by picking up Arcane Bolt and Epic attacks. You also don't really need heavy recharge or Hasten, because the longest cooldown you're dealing with is Paralyzing Blast. If you do go with Hasten, you can pretty much rapid fire support powers.

Elec/*

• Electric Fence - This is the lowest dpa single target immob attack of the Controller primaries. It's only useful at a low level to increase your dps, but I'd respec out of it once you can get Arcane Bolt.
  • Tesla Cage - Like all the single target holds, it's a decent single target attack when fully procced.
  • Chain Fences - A reliable way to set up aoe Containment. I usually proc it or set mule it.
  • Jolting Chain - Nice knockdown soft cc. It can take 3 procs, so it can be a semi decent single target attack, but the procs won't go off in the chain.
  • Conductive Aura - This is super nice to help your endurance issues. With a 20ft radius you can skirt the edges of a mob with it, or take Hover and fly above enemies.
  • Static Field - One of the better sleeps, it keeps reapplying so it's reliable cc. Can do anything from 1 slot it or set mule it.
  • Paralyzing Blast - Standard emergency aoe hold.
  • Synaptic Overload - Your go-to power to engage groups of mobs. Full slot it.
  • Gremlins - Passive dps.

*/Elec

• Shock - It's okayish. If I take it I just single slot it and use it for the -regen.
  • Rejuvenating Circuit - Standard heal, take it and slot it.
  • Galvanic Sentinel - I don't have much use for it. It's not amazing, but maybe some people like it.
  • Energizing Circuit - Nice group buff, can bounce back to you. I usually 1 slot it.
  • Faraday Cage - Take and slot for resistance.
  • Empowering Circuit - Decent group buff, I usually 1 slot or use a tohit set.
  • Defibrillate - One of the better rezzes if you choose to take it. It's melee but it's a 20ft aoe rez, and doesn't have a crash.
  • Insulating Circuit - Take it and slot it, the absorb is really nice.
  • Amp Up - Kinda weird and skippable. It's not a dmg buff, instead it's better to buff a Defender/Controller/Corruptor, especially if they're in melee.
  • Like 1

• 6 months later

I just reached level 50 with my Electric Controller / Electricity Assault hero-vigilante. This is an old game (not an attack on anyone or the game), and I'd rather follow a guide than browse through the internet until the end of time. I was wondering if anyone could give me a 'MidsReborn' download that I can follow. I am one month and a week or two into this game. Currently, with my current build, I picked up Fire Mastery, Rain of Fire, Rise of Phoenix, Melt Armor, along with the Speed 'Hasten' ability.

Edited by heyedwin
missed a few words

• 2 weeks later

Back on the Live forums, I wrote the only Guide to Electric Control.  It discusses the powers, primary and secondary effects, and slotting options.  You can find it here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120907044159/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=287903

Of course, back then, we did not have Electric as a Secondary.

Electric Control and Ice Control were the two lowest damage Controller primaries -- and Ice may have been boosted when Homecoming added damage to Ice Slick.  The key power of Electric Control is Static Field -- which is made mostly ineffective by anyone with AoE DoT powers.  As a Controller, Electric works best on a small team, such as teamed with a tank and a scrapper -- the kind of team that does not use large AoE Damage-over-time powers.  However, because Static Field recharges so quickly, it is very effective at controlling groups while your melee buddies kill off foes one-by-one.

As I discussed in the Guide, the Gremlins are still lacking as pets.  They are easily killed, don't do much damage and tend to run around almost as badly as the 

Fire Imps.